General Discussion Race Reports! » TRIAMERICA TRIATHLON SERIES - LOUISIANA NORTHSHORE - SHORT COURSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRIAMERICA TRIATHLON SERIES - LOUISIANA NORTHSHORE - SHORT COURSE - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mandeville, Louisiana
United States
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 59s
Overall Rank = 22/95
Age Group = 35 - 29
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night in New Orleans and woke up at 4:00 AM. Had 3 cups of hotel coffee and 2 packages of instant oatmeal. Arrived at race site at about 6:00 AM. Got marked and set up transition. Used port-o-potty and watched the LONG COURSE start. Used port-o-potty again.
Event warmup:

Ran to port-o-potty...
Swim
  • 22m 46s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I need to practice open water swimming and become more comfortable in the water. The entire swim I was struggling and just trying to finish it.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax and just swim nice and even. Surely this would be faster and more efficient then fighting the water with my head above it. Need to train in open water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Tired after the swim. My arms were dragging and sore. Put my helmet on and buckled first thing. Ate a caffeine gel. I sat down and put socks and my cycling shoes on. Grabbed my spare tube and CO2 and put it in my back tri suit pocket. Trotted out of TI feeling pretty good.

Need to transition without socks. Practice with shoes already clipped into pedals. Learn to mount bike on the run. Ranked 47 / 95 This is killing me. I need to dedicate some time just to T1.
Bike
  • 54m 15s
  • 18.8 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt fast and passed a lot of riders (mostly due to the poor swim - lots of riders to pass). I was comfortable and moving fast. I could have pushed harder but needed to save it for the run. Heart rate monitor was not functioning correctly and I was not sure of my exertion level.

Pushed a little harder. Know my body better during a race so that I can better perceive my exertion.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

It got HOT really quick once I stepped off of the bike. I dismounted fine (fine for me - stopped the bike unclipped.) Ran to the transition. There were people clapping and cheering. Made you run a little better / faster. Racked the bike. Switched shoes. Ate a caffeine gel and took off. Forgot to take my bike spare kit out of my tri suit pocket and ran back to my bike and dropped it off. Cost me maybe 20 seconds.

Need to store bike related stuff on the bike and not on my person. Need to work on mounts / dismounts. Ranked 56 / 95 This is killing me. I need to dedicate some time just to T2.
Run
  • 34m 59s
  • 4.78 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Heart rate monitor was not working very well. Was reading a sky high heart rate that did not fluctuate. The heat and humidity at this point were oppressive. Very hot, wet and sticky. Paced myself well for the first mile and then I got a little hot. I passed quite a few runners (still from the bad swim I imagine). I fell in place behind someone running a decent pace to collect myself and get my run back on. Someone running from the other direction yelled at the person right in front of me that she was the 3rd female overall. I knew I was doing fairly well at that point. After I regained my composure I passed her at about mile 2 1/2. I was feeling strong at this point and should have pushed harder. I was chasing runners down - although slowly. I got to a point where I felt all alone. No one coming up on me and no one to pass. At the 4 mile marker I knew I still had gas in the tank and pushed harder. That last mile (almost a mile - .97 or something) clicked off at a low 6 minute / mile pace. The water stations at every mile helped a lot with the pacing and the water / Gatorade sure did not hurt.

Should have run harder and more consistent. I need to work on pacing. I had ran a 5k a few weeks back where I went to strong and died the last 2 miles. My splits of that 5k were something like 6:00 / 6:30 / 7:10 – for a total of 20:06 (don't go doing the math - these are from memory and are no better than guesses at this point). Anyway, I was scared of dying in a ~5 mile run at the end of a tough swim and good bike. I played it too conservatively. The bricks in training really helped. Very little discomfort going from bile to run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a drink of water and soaked up the sites and sounds. I love the race environment. I had spotted some facilities in the camp ground section during the run. I grabbed my change of clothes and walked over and took a shower. I was soaked to the core with sweat and grime. My shoes were soaking wet with sweat and grime. A little later in the food area someone asked me if I was a spectator or if I had raced. I said that I had raced. They looked at me and said I looked so refreshed. I told them that I was not sure if I was supposed to shower in he camp ground. He said that everyone really should shower and that only the smart ones find the showers - I think that he was a little jealous.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Comfort in open water. Holding back in the bike and run for fear of having to walk the run. Poor transistions.

Event comments:

This was a well run event. There was no big expo. The food was just average - although there were red beans and rice (I guess for the New Orleans flair). The volunteers were great and the police force was fantastic. I really enjoyed this race.

Last updated: 2008-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:46 | 1000 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 49/95
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto One piece
Course: A counter clockwise rectangle swim around buoys. The buoys were so far out that they looked like sail boats. Since the long course triathlon was going first I thought that we would only have to swim to one of the buoys and back. Then they announced that the long course would simply due two loops. Now the swim looked really far. I watched the start of the long course (30 minutes prior to my race start) and saw how far out they had to wade before swimming. People were joking about aqua-jogging. I did not mind seeing this at all. The water level was really low. Waded out about 100 feet for the start of the swim. Lots of "sea weed". Really thick. At the start of the race we waded about another 150 feet towards the first buoy. Someone mentioned that it was like walking through a hay stack. The vegetation really grabbed at your legs and feet. The swim always give me difficulties. I start to breath really fast and can not keep my head in the water. I end up swimming the entire race with my head above the water. Very tiring. I was looking forward to the end of this course so that I could walk out the last 250 feet. I was tired at the end of this leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:15 | 18.8 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 21/95
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A loop through the state park and some on minor highways. Flat fast and well marked. Police at every intersection stopping / blocking traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:59 | 04.78 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 13/95
Performance: Average
Course: A loop through the state park. Flat course through camp grounds.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-26 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: TRIAMERICA TRIATHLON SERIES - LOUISIANA NORTHSHORE - SHORT COURSE
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRIAMERICA TRIATHLON SERIES - LOUISIANA NORTHSHORE - SHORT COURSE Rss Feed