General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Total Time = 3h 42m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

alarm at 4:00, snooze til 4:15, peanut butter and honey on whole wheat toast, bottle o' water and two salt tabs b/c it was going to be a hot em effer out there! :) bikes were already at sight, so craig and i walked from hotel to transition with our geer. nice.
Event warmup:

strapped on the zoot suit and swam a little bit in the town lake with craig. was very refreshing as standing around was hot hot hot, so to get in and get cooled off was nice.
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

started all the way over to the left as bouys were on my right, i sight to the right, all the other swim caps would be on my right and i tend to pull right. got this tip from craig and it worked wonders. really had clear sighting and had a clear lane the majority of the way. tried to draft, but could not find the right person. either too slow or too fast, so really just found a clear lane and rolled with it.

here's the thing on the swim. i really felt i was swimming well. passing people in the wave before me, had some other florescent green caps behind me...then the yellow caps, aka, wave behind me, began to pass me and i realized i wasn't swimming that well. lessons learned = i need to learn how to swim faster. positive about the swim = felt really comfortable the entire way. didn't panic, didn't get too nervous, really just swam my swim...unfortunatly, that's not very fast.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster. ows did not scare me as i had a couple practice runs b/4, wetsuit felt great as i practiced in it before, i just need to get faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

ahhh, t1. well, i had a blister on my achilles that i bandaged up pre swim. that fell off. so i took time in t1 to put another bandaid on. that took time. getting my wetsuit off took time. basically, t1 sucked, but not sure what more i could do. wetsuit was a must and didn't want to have the blister hurt on bike...so, i sacraficed some time. plus it was a lllloooonnnnggg transition. but it was for everyone else too, so that's not a good excuse! :)

not wear shoes I haven't worn since the fall the day before a race therefore causing blisters. argh.
Bike
  • 1h 47m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.90 mile/hr
Comments:

the bike was very cool...for 22.12 miles. loved the looping course, loved riding into the capital building, loved seeing craig, jenny and todd on the bike, loved it. felt awesome. was averaging 19mph according to garmin. was very happy...until...got an effing flat tire 2+ miles from the bike finish. i don't know how to change a flat, you see. hmmm. BUT good news, i look up and i see a dude about 25 feet in front of me messing with his bike off the side of the road. i think SURELY he knows how to change a flat...JACKPOT...so i run up to him and say "you wouldn't be interested in helping me change my flat, would you?!" and the saint that he is says "sure, my race is over anyway" (apparently he was trying to get a loose cage off of his down tube and was having a rough go at it) so, he tries to help but neither of us can get my back wheel off. apparently the p2c back wheel doesn't just come off, it has to be pulled back and then off. i don't know this because again, i don't know how to change a flat, he doesn't know this because he doesn't have a p2c and doesn't want to break my bike. i can't blame him. i tell him to forget it and go on. he gets his cage off, and goes...i have his cage. i was supposed to put it by his stuff, but i didn't get to it in time. he was #1667, his name is john carmichael, he lives in dallas, and i still have his cage. so if any of you guys know him, tell him to get in touch with me and i'll give it back. he was wonderful for trying to help me..really wonderful! anyway, b/c i'm stuck there with my bike i make the decision that the only way back is to hoof it. so, off go my shoes, up goes the silver fox over my shoulder, and i carry my effing bike 2+ miles to transition. yep, i was that guy. about 1/2 mile from transition, two girls on the side of the road offered me flip flops. wasn't that cute?! i didn't take them because at that point i was already so close, but i thought it was incredibly thoughtful.

learn how to change a flat tire.
Transition 2
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

i sauntered through t2 to my rack, racked the bike and changed shoes. took it easy b/c there was no real reason to hurry, in my opinion.

nada. was fine.
Run
  • 1h 10m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

run was hot. very hot. mentally, i was beaten down by my bike fiasco. physically, i'm not strong in the run to begin with, so this didn't help. oh well. i ran aid station to aid station, and walked the stations. walked 2 other times during b/c i just needed to, basically. overall though, ran through most of it. highlite was seeing my neice and two nephews twice on the run, got kisses both times AND a cup of water from kyle on round 2. was very cute and made me very happy in a not so happy situation!!

not sure there was much i could do differently. i'm just not a strong runner. i need to continue to run to get better, i guess. who knows?!
Post race
Warm down:

found the family, friends and craig and hung out and comisserated on how hot it was.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

inability to swim fast. flat tire. inability to run fast. everyone was dealing with the same weather conditions, so that's not an excuse. my own self, really.

Event comments:

race itself was great. 2nd biggest one i've ever been a part of and it's very cool. well organized. great course. very scenic with the capital building and going through the downtown of austin. i really liked it. would have been more enjoyable if i had a better race, but the race itself, course itself, was great.

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 1640 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:47:17 | 24.85 miles | 13.90 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:08 | 06.21 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-26 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-26 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1425180

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I am very proud of you for not giving up when many others would have. You should be proud also because you know.......it is easy to be successful at quiting. If you take out the at least 30 min you walked the bike course, you had a very solid race and would have finished in the top 50% of your AG. I look forward to watching your continued improvement in the sport. Just remember......Be Positive. Get Fast. 
2008-05-27 6:50 AM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
You are fantastic!!! Not sure many would hoof it 2 miles plus with their bike on their shoulder!!

A true inspiration...by the way I better learn how to change a flat real soon.
2008-05-27 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great job under not so great conditions.  You should be proud of yourself!
2008-05-27 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Great job. Stick to it!  Im glad you finished it!  the experience is worth more than anything!  Make sure the doc teaches you how to change a flat.
2008-05-27 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
They should have offered to carry the bike!

2008-05-27 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great job on the race and not quitting.  Walking 2 miles in bike shoes and pushing a bike is no small feat. Just be glad you had the new light bike though and not your old one!!!
2008-05-27 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I'm sorry about your flat tire, but you did well to finish despite of it.   As I mentioned in your blog, hopefully you won't have another flat in race for a long time.  Just plain bad luck.  Great job of mentally handling it though.

2008-05-27 10:42 AM

User image

yay - you DID it. That is what your victory needs to be in this one...remembering that these days happen and you "GET TO". I'm glad you liked CapTex...it is our fav race. Maybe next year I'll be back and we can get you some payback on that bike course!! Great job Jen
2008-05-27 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

That is really cool that you carried your bike back,, I would have attempted a front wheelie ride which I would have injured myself doing for sure..

It sounds like you had a great race going up till that point though and there is no reason to believe that your run wouldn't have also been very good also.. You are getting better each time and that is the exciting part

2008-05-27 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Good job not letting this get you down.  When you're so caught up in the moment, something like that can be so devastating.  I had the same thing happen at Disco, and you approached the situation much better than I did!  Just know next time will be better, and keep on working on your goals.

2008-05-27 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey girl, you didn't give up! You walked when you had to! Others would have ditched the race and called it a day. You kept going! That's what matters.

And you would have had a rocking race if you wouldn't have had a flat.

As for the swim... I'm fast in a pool (1:32 per 100 yards) but in open water... I always swim 2:00 per 100 yards. So weird. Not sure how THAT works out. But it does. So don't sweat your swim time too much.

So... great job! Don't beat yourself up over this. Minus the flat, really solid race.
2008-05-27 9:08 PM

User image

Planet earth
Hey girl! way to keep you chin up in that situation! I looked for you after the race, but never saw you. Be sure to let me know when ya'll come down Great job Jen
2008-05-28 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race considering you carried your bike!  Just think what your results would have been if you hadn't flatted!  You didn't give up.  Bet you looked like this guy...well, a lot prettier of course .

Never Give Up

2008-05-28 11:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-28 12:29 PM

Austin, TX
wow GJ finishing despite such a long walk with the bike!

2008-06-03 10:17 AM

Veteran
Just think ...you got the flat out of the way for the races now!  You should be "safe" from flats for at least 2 tri years right?  Good job with htfu and just completing it! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed