United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 4s
Overall Rank = 4/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

This race is awesome because it starts at 11:00 am. This was good for me, because I was up until 2:30 am the night before violating the most important rule of triathlon: don't try anything new in a race. I took apart my seatpost to relube it, and I took my rear wheel apart a few times as I was trying to get a wheel cover onto it, and I put brand new tires on my wheels, and I removed my behind-the-seat hydration system and jury rigged something else up out of electrical tape. I also decided I would wear an untested possibly decomposing pair of goggles and an untested aero helmet. I almost threw some Yankz laces on my shoes for the first time, but I decided I had to draw the line there. But I digress...

I woke up at 7:00 and ate the most unbelievable breakfast, consisting of a bagel with peanut butter on one side, nutella on the other, and bananas in the middle. Oh yeah, and water. I sipped gatorade during the drive to the race site. I stopped drinking water and stuff a half hour before the start, and I ate 3 Clif Blocks at that time too.

Event warmup:

I jogged for 8 minutes. I have bad shin splints, so I was being very gentle. I tried to move my arms a lot too, because I also have swimmer's shoulder and I wanted to warm up my shoulders before stretching them. Then I did some static stretching. This was a tiny race, so they didn't give out swim caps, and I neglected to bring one, so I tried to get some time in the water to get used to the cold. It was really hard to put my face under the water without gasping, and right up until the starting gun I was continuously dunking myself in order to force some sort of blood flow redistribution. Needless to say, I couldn't do any warmup swimming because of the face thing.
Swim
  • 03m 20s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm estimating my splits, because they didn't have any new-fangled timing mats at this race and I kept forgetting to hit my watch on time.

I was certain that I would limp through the swim, or not be able to breathe from the cold, so I seeded myself a little bit back and a little bit wide. That was a bad idea, as a big space of empty water immediately appeared before me. I have finally gotten the hang of drafting so I wanted to be able to do that. Also, I was able to put my face in the water without gasping, which was good.

I tried to cut across and find some feet, but I don't remember if I was successful, because the swim was pure chaos. 250 meters is an all-out sprint, so I couldn't even tell where I was or who was around me. When I reached the rowboat, a guy ahead of me actually overshot the turn and was going to continue. I grabbed his leg and swung him clockwise to help him out. I'm sure he didn't think it was a good deed though.

After the turn the swim was uneventful. I just kept swimming like a maniac. I think I exited around 12th place overall, based on who I saw on the bike course. I don't know for sure though.
What would you do differently?:

Always bring a swim cap to races. In fact, bring extras, in case there is another idiot like me around.

I should have had confidence in my swimming ability and seeded myself front and center.

Finally, I think I should have sprinted even harder. I was going fast, but it wasn't all-out.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I was very disoriented. The fast swim left me very dizzy and I could hardly stand up when trying to get my shoes on. It must have happened to other athletes, and none of us seemed to have the coordination to clip in at the mount line. The other thing that made T1 difficult was that the bikes were very close to the swim exit, so I was extra wet. I put my snazzy aero helmet on and about a quart of water was suddenly squeezed out of my hair.

Clip in better. My wetsuit removal has never been better than today, but my clipping ability has never been worse.
Bike
  • 36m 14s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm really happy with my bike performance. I held a very steady 21.5 mph while still holding a little back for the run.

After some initial sorting of the bikers, most of us were left alone. It was kind of nice to not have to worry about passing and being passed often. We could take up the whole road, and I could concentrate on holding just the right pace.

Since it was out-and-back, I saw the leaders coming the other way. One...two...three...four...oh, there's the turnaround! I suddenly realized I was in 8th place and I had been gradually gaining on number 7. I passed him just after the turnaround. This is significant, because the overall awards went 7 deep. On my way back I was working on a strategy to hold onto my 7 spot. I have never been in the top 10 of anything ever, so I was pretty excited. After the turnaround, I could see who was behind me, and there were some fast guys. One of them caught me pretty quickly and then got a steady 15-second lead on me. He looked back at me very often, so I could tell he was nervous about his position too. That aspect of the bike leg was kind of fun. I was no longer racing for time but instead racing for position.

Another guy passed me in the last mile, putting me in 9th place. I actually relaxed a little bit after this, because I decided I could catch them in the run.

Probably nothing. Maybe I would push harder, but this is actually a big PR for my bike leg. I don't think I have ever averaged even 20 mph before.

Oh, here's something. I either wouldn't bring a full water bottle on my bike for a cold, overcast race, or I would avoid squirting it out in order to save weight. When I was ejecting this excess weight the guy ahead of me probably doubled his lead. I need to concentrate on the race and not 10 ounces of fluid.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

The road was very bumpy during the bike, and I didn't have gloves on, so my hands were numb when I tried to tie my running shoes! Otherwise everything was fine.

It was funny, because people weren't racking their bikes in T2. Instead they just threw them randomly onto the grass and then ran off. I love these small races!

Nothing.
Run
  • 18m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

For the first time ever, my legs felt heavy after the bike ride. Running is my strength, so I usually have no problem. Because of the brick effect, the first half was a little slower than the second. I found my legs probably a mile into the run.

Since I was going for position, I ran pretty conservatively. I also have shin splints so I was afraid of aggravating them with hard running (they turned out to not be an issue today, though). I spotted two guys up the road and focused on taking them down (figuratively, of course). I passed both of them somewhere in the first mile, and by the turnaround I had moved from 9th to 5th place. It was cool because I could count the leaders again just like in the bike leg. I moved into 4th place at about the two-mile mark. I have no idea where the 3rd place guy was. I didn't see him, so I just cruised in to a comfortable finish. Later I got a nice little award.

Probably nothing. If I were concerned with a PR I would have pushed the run right from the start. But I wasn't.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt just fine after the finish, so I kept on running for a half-mile more. Then I ate some donuts for some reason, stretched, and then jumped back into the freezing pond for about 10 minutes. The pond was probably too cold, because I was shivering uncontrollably for about a half hour after I got out. Still, my legs will thank me tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own pacing, I guess. I'll go faster next time.

Event comments:

This was a very informal, small, no frills race. It was inexpensive with no taxes from USAT. We only got the final time, there were only a few volunteers out on the course, and the transition area was very small. After the race there were sandwiches and pop and donuts, which were low-key but awesome. I really liked how informal it was, because races are usually little stress factories. The only bad side was that they gave me an extra-large tee shirt, and I'm definitely an extra-medium (yeah, you read that right). I think it's the perfect race to get the triathlon season started with.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:20 | 273 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Salamander Suit
Course: Out to a rowboat and back in a small pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:14 | 13 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 9/
Average heart rate = 155 bpm Average power = 191 W
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a flat but bumpy road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:33 | 03 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/
Course: Out and back on some road. Pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 1:53 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Memorial Day Triathlon

2008-05-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1425271

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Memorial Day Triathlon

Your race sounds like a blast!  Fantastic job in placing (high!) AND keeping the bod' together. 

I like those informal races too - gives a while new 'vibe'. 

Nice work!

2008-05-27 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Nice race!  I'm cracking up that you lost time trying to empty your water bottle.  Good stuff!!!
2008-05-27 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Solid race. Congratulations. Your run time was awesome.
2008-05-27 2:13 PM

User image

Tacoma, Washington
I was also there with you yesterday. Good job.
2008-05-27 11:50 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I saw you! On the run! You kept encouraging me to GO GO GO!!!  All I could do was shrug and say MEH and thank you. I was the giant cucumber! That is a fabby time!  You are right in saying it's a great 1st tri for someone. I've never been to a race where I've had to lay my bike on the grass instead of a rack.  The water was too cold for me however. Brrrr.   Do you think you'll do this one again?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Day Triathlon Rss Feed