General Discussion Race Reports! » The Twisted Ankle Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Twisted Ankle Trail Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Summerville, Georgia
United States
Becky
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 42m 4s
Overall Rank = 84/115
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 to eat oatmeal, wheat toast with almond butter and two bananas. Got dressed and tried to relax and get ready for 1.5 hour drive to race site. Sipped on sport drink and had another banana on the way.
Event warmup:

Not much since I knew this 26.2 was going to run like a tough 50K. Tried to relax and mentally prepare for the distance. Learned about 10 minutes before the race started that my Garmin was not working so that was discouraging as I use it in all my training. Someone said they thought the distance was actually over 28 miles.
Run
  • 6h 42m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great and ran very conservatively since this was my first trail marathon....ran fairly hard for last 6 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...ate right and managed my sodium effectively...running any harder would have made it more difficult to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate right away and got more fluids in my system...tried to walk around a bit to cool down but did not stretch. Had 1.5 hour ride back home and had 25 minute ice bath upon arriving home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training at this distance. Had 1 long run (19 miles) on an easy course. Rest of training was swimming and biking.

Event comments:

Terrific course but very difficult, but I knew that going in. Will definitely do again next year.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
06:42:04 | 26.2 miles | 15m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 84/115
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly and very technical. Had two HUGE hills, one that was just under a mile and listed at over 30% grade. Mud and steepness made it almost impossible to climb without grabbing a tree to pull yourself up...very difficult. Lots of single track with a few miles on gravel road which was nice. Gorgeous scenery and a terrific finish across the lake at the end that sent you over a long bridge....very cool!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: The Twisted Ankle Trail Half Marathon

2008-05-27 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1425605

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Twisted Ankle Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed