Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 1s
Overall Rank = 4528/8368
Age Group = W45-49
Age Group Rank = 204/621
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am, drove to Ottawa. Picked up race packet - nice tshirt again this year. Checked my bag and went to line up. I lined up between the 2:00 and 2:15 pace bunnies with my plan to keep the 2:00 bunny in sight.
Event warmup:

None, just waited in the crowd for the start.
Run
  • 2h 12m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming into this race I knew I wasn't in <2 hour shape, so I hoped to finish somewhere between 2 and 2:15. The weather forecast was sunny and warm and they were right. Luckily there was a nice breeze along the water which helped.
I ran without a watch, wasn't too far back from the starting line and only took a couple minutes to cross the starting mats. It was really crowded, people were weaving in and out trying to pass. For the first few miles I repeated to myself "don't eat the paste" as lots of people went sprinting past me. At km4 I knew this wasn't going to be a great run. I tried to keep my effort level even and not push too hard through the hills. I also had to make a pit stop at km 6 which cost me a minute or 2. There were a lot of spectators along the way, more than last year I'm sure. It was great. There was a timing clock at 9 km...55:55 for me, so I was at about 54 minutes which is 6/km or 10 minute mile which would be a 2:10 finish time. This was on the bridge on the way back into the city and the flat running along the canal. I lost sight of the 2:00 pace bunny just before the bridge. I was walking ~ 30 seconds at water stops and alternating water/gatorade. Took a gel around 10k. It was pretty warm out now and sunny - I took advantage of any shade I could find.. at the left edge of the road there was about 2 feet of shade and a long line of us ran single file to stay in that shade. Around 15k I starting feeling the beginning of calf cramps, which plagued me the last time I ran along this canal (at the Canadian HIM last Sept). I slowed a little and was Ok with no actual cramping. Took another gel around 16k. Then at 18k I experienced what people mean when they say their legs seized up... my quads and calves tightened up and it really felt like they were going to seize up and stop moving. I slowed my pace a little and after a few minutes I felt the muscles start to loosen up again. It was the strangest feeling, and hard to describe. Anyone who has experienced this will know what I'm talking about though. I was able to pick my pace up a bit for the last 2K but had no finishing kick.
Standing in line for chip removal my calves and quads were cramping again and it took a long time to get out of the finishers area. Finally found my husband at our prearranged meeting place.
Along the race course I saw a couple people in trouble, one being loaded into an ambulance, another laying on the side of the road with medics pouring water on him, two more in the finish area being tended to by medics. I'm always thankful to finish a race upright.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Did my best this day.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finishing mat there is a bottleneck waiting for chip removal so you are forced to stop and stand around, not the best warm-down but there really is no option. Did some stretching once I got out of the recovery area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously my limiter here is low mileage run training. I don't do so well in warm and sunny conditions.

Event comments:

I love this race. The course is easy. Lots of volunteers, lots of spectators. The weather can be a bit warm. Running along the canal is nice. Ottawa is a great city, I love it.

Now, 2 days later, I feel like I ran a marathon instead of a half..complete with duck walk and doing stairs one at a time. I've never been this sore after a half. ????? it's weird.

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:01 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/621
Overall: 0/8368
Performance: Average
Course: I love this run. The first 9 km is through gatineau streets, little up and downhills. Then you cross a bridge back into Ottawa and run south along the canal, and you can see runners on the other side running towards the finish and hear the crowds cheering at the finish line. You run a couple miles down one side then cross over the canal and run back up the other side to the finish. Along the canal is flat running.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: ING Ottawa Half Marathon

2008-05-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1425782

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: ING Ottawa Half Marathon
Sounds like it was a beautiful day for a run! Good job on completing it. I know how you feel with the duck legs and crying when you see stairs. Ice baths are amazing for helping with the recovery, highly recommended!
Congrats!!
2008-05-29 7:39 AM

Expert
Congrats Cathy! Nice pace. What a big race, wow. I second the ice bath rec. - B
2008-05-30 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Then at 18k I experienced what people mean when they say their legs seized up... my quads and calves tightened up and it really felt like they were going to seize up and stop moving. I slowed my pace a little and after a few minutes I felt the muscles start to loosen up again. It was the strangest feeling, and hard to describe. Anyone who has experienced this will know what I'm talking about though.

I know exactly what you are talking about Cathy, I have experienced the very same thing at the very same km mark last October at the Toronto International half.  It is a very strange feeling indeed, one I was happy not to have experienced three weeks ago in Mississauga.

I also want to congratulate you on a great race even though you felt you did not do enough training mileage beforehand.  Judging by your ranking, you placed well overall and in your age group!

Well done!

Edited by Nats 2008-05-30 1:10 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Ottawa Half Marathon Rss Feed