BolderBOULDER
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 9s
Overall Rank = 2053M/21620M
Age Group = M52
Age Group Rank = 26/338
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 AM, normal breakfast. Drove about 2 hours from home to Boulder.
Event warmup:

None, other than the mile or so walk from the car to the race start. I had an old t-shirt I wore to keep warm until the race started and I tossed it off to the side just prior to the start.
Run
  • 46m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

We registered a few weeks ago and they sent our race packets to a local running store. The packets didn't get there until Friday. When I got the packets I noticed we had been put in a non-qualifying wave even though I had submitted our qualifying information. I contacted them and was told we could get there early and exchange our bibs/chips. Since we were driving up from our house - about a two hour drive - we decided to skip the exchange as it would mean leaving about an hour earlier - 4 AM instead of 5 AM. We should have been in the wave based on Vicki's qualifying time - 52:45 - and the other runners in that wave would have all been similar runners. The non-qualifying wave was after all the qualifying waves had started and it's made up of people who either didn't have a qualifying time, or who run slower than 10 minutes miles. Some of them even walk most or all of the race. Ours was actually the 8th non-qualifying wave, so there were already a few thousand slower people in front of us.

At the start Vicki and I were in about the middle of our wave. Perhaps we should have started near or at the front. When the starting gun went off, I started fast and tried my best to get around the slower runners/walkers. It was difficult to say the least. I was alternating between a good race pace, a sprint to get around people, and almost a walk in spots when it got jammed up. By the one mile mark I was already passing people from 2-3 waves ahead. Kinda frustrating but that's the way it played out. I found it best to stay to the outside, but that had me running several of the many corners at the wrong tangent for a good time. The last mile and a half I think I must have passed most of the non-qualifiers and many of the slower qualifiers because most people were at least running more consistently. About a mile out a kid about 12 or so passed me and I ran behind him, but he faded after a few hundred yards and I passed him again. There is a hill at the end going up into the stadium finish and it got really jammed up with walkers. I got around them going into the stadium and found some clear track on the outside to let it fly for the final couple hundred meters. Finish time as noted above.

New since we last did this race were timing mats at every mile, so those are the splits they recorded.

My 10K PR is 45:23 and I think I could have broke it if we had started from the correct wave. From as far back as we started I was pleased with the result and it was the fastest I've done this race.

Normally we would have waited around until the citizens race was over so we could watch the pros race, but just after I finished it started raining. By the time Vicki finished in 55:26, it was fairly steady, but light. The temp was in the upper 50s so with the rain it was too cold to sit around for several hours. We did a quick tour of the big expo, then left to go home.
What would you do differently?:

Start from the correct wave.
Post race
Warm down:

None, other than walk around the expo and jog back to our car in the rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting in a non-qualifying wave for sure. Not really training for this race after a huge marathon PR a few weeks ago.

Event comments:

Always a great event. Bands playing along the course. Thousands of spectators. Huge number of potties, so almost no waiting if you go to the right area. Usually a thrill to watch the pros race, but weather dampened that this year. Can be interesting to run in an early wave, then watch people pour into the stadium for almost 4 more hours by the tens of thousands.

Last updated: 2008-05-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:09 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/338
Overall: 2405/21620M
Performance: Good
mile 1: 0:07:08.45 mile 2: 0:07:31.80 mile 3: 0:07:42.11 mile 4: 0:07:29.74 mile 5: 0:07:11.71 mile 6: 0:07:29.25 net time: 0:46:09.32
Course: Generally flat with a few minor hills. The hill leading up to the stadium could be a killer if you're not expecting it, but it's only about a quarter mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: BolderBOULDER

2008-05-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1425962

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER
That's definitely a bummer about the wave mix up!!!!  At least you still had a good time.
2008-05-27 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Things happen - people make mistakes. I wanted to be sure it wasn't something I did wrong. Starting from where we did made it more of a challenge and I almost pulled off a PR, so I'm not too bummed. If this had been a big goal race maybe I would feel different.
2008-05-28 9:25 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race yourself!  COngrats on the PR.  It is hard to get around people in that race.  Your race plan and mental focus paid off!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBOULDER Rss Feed