Maryville, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
Total Time = 51m 29s
Overall Rank = 2/237
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I drove down from Kingsport the morning of the race. We arrived with about an hour to get ready, which is plenty of time to check in, set up the transition area, and do a little warming up. We also saw several other tricities folks who we knew were going to be there.
Event warmup:

Rode for about 10 minutes and ran for 3-4 minutes, just enough to get loosened up. Then I grabbed my goggles and went to get in line for the swim start.
Swim
  • 05m 22s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trial start as is the case with most pool swims. I started in about 20th spot, which worked out relatively well as I didn't get passed and only had to pass 3-4 people. One of the people I did pass was the woman who decided she would start first even though we were supposed to line up by approximate swim time. Keep in mind she started about 2 minutes ahead of me and I passed here half way through the swim. I don't get people like this sometimes. Are they really that clueless.

Overall I was pretty happy with my swim. My time was about what I had expected it to be.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Kind of a long T1, but there was a decent little run from the pool exit to the transition area. My bike shoes stuck a little as I was trying to get them on, so this cost me a few seconds. Maybe I should try some bodyglide on them. I'll have to try that in training to make sure it doesn't cause blisters.
Bike
  • 28m 38s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a moderately rolling bike course with a couple of bigger hills and so stretches of what I would call flat. After passing most of the people on the course that started the swim ahead of me, I thought I was in first place until I approached the turnaround. That's when I saw the eventual winner already had about 2 minutes on me. I tried to pick it up a little, but the gap didn't close. In fact, it went in the opposite direction. Still, I managed to hold off a couple of guys who seemed to be making up time on me in the second half.

Good ride overall.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

I've said it before, but I really like my new Zoot shoes. They make T1 really fast an easy.
Run
  • 15m 40s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the best my legs have felt in a race all year. I maintained a pretty even pace throughout and really put some time into the 2-3 people that were chasing me on the bike. The course was pretty hilly, but I managed to maintain my speed pretty well on the uphills.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

My wife was waiting for me at the finish. She refused to hug me as I was really sweatty at this point. She said I only get hugs at the end of ironman races. I guess that's a fair rule.

We hung around and cheered for all of our friends as they came in from the run. It was a great day for the tricities and out masters swimming group as everyone placed in the top 3 in their respective age groups with Susan winning the masters. It's defeintely fun to race with a group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I had a great day. There was no way I was going to catch the guy who finished forst. He beat me by over 5 minutes.

Event comments:

Great job by RaceDayEvents. They've started the year really well at both races that I've done. Definitely a fun day.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:22 | 383 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 10/237
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:38 | 10 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Overall: 3/237
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:40 | 02.6 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 2/237
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Foothills Sprint 1/10th Ironman

2008-05-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1425998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Subject: RE: Foothills Sprint 1/10th Ironman
Great job on your 2nd place finish. I finished in 20th OA. I saw the lady that started first, take off. Her arms looked like my ceiling fans on a hot day. She was just about done by the end of 50 meters. This was one of the better run Race Day Events. I saw where a 2 min penalty was given to the winner...I wonder what he did?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Foothills Sprint 1/10th Ironman Rss Feed