General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Total Time = 2h 32m 21s
Overall Rank = 165/1442
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/143
Pre-race routine:

Alarm set for 4:00am, snoozed until 4:15am had an almond butter sandwich, packed up all of our stuff and Jen and I were out the door around 5:20am. Walked from hotel to transition area and were able to bi-pass the body marking station because we body marked ourselves that morning. Got to my bike and was pleasantly surprised to see that the bikes were spread out on the rack and I had plenty of space to set up my transition area. After Jen and I got our transition areas set up, we grabbed our wetsuits and headed down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Jen and I decided to get into our wetsuits and swim a little bit. It was rocky at the area that we went in to, so I put my hand down to brace myself and cut my pinky finger. It started to bleed and I was concerned that the sharks might start circling. We swam about 200 meters before we got out and waited with the rest of the gang for our waves to start. During the national anthem, Jen pointed out a guy in front of us that had a laminated picture of his 3 year old son on his back. Below the picture were the words, "I'm racing for a cure for leukemia for my son" or something to that effect. I then had tears in my eyes through the entire national anthem. When I tried to talk about it with Jen afterward, I couldn't even get the words out I was so emotional. It made what I was racing for seem so trivial.
Swim
  • 31m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Positioned myself to the right side of the start line, 3 rows back. Gun went off and I pushed it harder than normal for the first 200 meters and then settled in to a comfortable pace. There was about 1/50th of the contact of my last open water swim (IMAZ 4/08) The lake is fairly narrow so I could really just sight off the shoreline and the other swimmers. Occasionally, I'd still sight looking forward and was very pleased at how straight I appeared to be swimming. About 1/2 way to the turnaround, I found someone to draft off of. The water wasn't too murky and I could see the other swimmers from the knees down so found it easier to draft. I stayed drafting off my guy for about 5 minutes, but then started feeling guilty that I was tickling his toes so much, than I just pulled out and passed him. When I hit the two turn around buoys, there was very little congestion so I was able to turn right at the buoy with very little contact from other swimmers. The rest of the way back, I had open water and kept a comfortable pace until I hit the turn buoy for the shore. Then I started to kick my legs until I got to the shore where there were plenty of volunteers waiting to help me out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I just settled in to too comfortable of a pace because I really should've been able to do this swim in under 30 minutes. Next time, I need to push myself so I at least get a little bit out of my comfort zone. I should be happy with top 40%, since I consider myself a very average swimmer, but I just thought I would be able to break 29 min from my practice swims.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

25/127 in AG
Took wetsuit top off and slid suspenders down while running into T1. Got to the end of my bike rack and stopped to remove my bottoms before running in to get my bike. Bike shoes went on easily, slipped my nutrition in the back pocket of the mantard, helmet on, sunglasses on, grabbed bike and I was off. Shortly after exiting the transition area, I was expecting to hit the mount line. I was surprised to see that we had about 100 yards to run with the bike before actually hitting the mount line. After crossing the mount line, did the flying leap and got clipped in right away.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.36 mile/hr
Comments:

As usual, my heart rate was sky high starting the bike ride. I knew I just needed to slow down a little and it would come down into my target zone. It was starting to come down when I hit the first big hill going around the capital building and then it went sky high again. Jen and I had driven the bike course the day before so I knew about the hills going around the capital building and I decided I was going to attack the hills because there was enough downhill to recover on. On the back side of the capital building was another hill to attack and as I was going up that one, Desiree Ficker passed me. Coming south on congress, from the capital building, there was a slight downhill so I had a chance to recover there. The section on Cezar Chavez was pretty flat and I was able to maintain a good pace while keeping my HR in the zone I wanted. When I finished my first lap, I didn't specifically see the area to turn back into transition and told myself to try and spot that on the next lap. Basically the next three laps were similar to the first. Go as hard as I could on the hills, then use the downhills and flats to recover. The third and fourth laps started to get pretty congested and I probably yelled out "on your left" more than any other race I've done. On laps 2,3 and 4, I hooked up with a guy on a red Trek and a girl on a red Pinnarello and all three of us took turns legally drafting off of each other. Finally on my third lap, I spotted where I had to turn in at that finish of the bike, so at the end of my 4th lap, stayed right and rode into transition.

Nothing. I really liked this course. The short hills were challenging and I did a good job of legally drafting and just had to be careful of the slower riders who weren't hugging the right hand side.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

18/127 in AG
Got my bike racked, shoes went on quickly and I grabbed my racebelt and hat and ran with them as I put them on.

Nothing.
Run
  • 49m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with my HR right on target. I knew it was hot and I was going to have to make sure to stay hydrated. It was nice to see that they had aid stations every 1/2 mile or so and I basically drank water and poured water on my head at every aid station. I had my hr right where I wanted it, but I didn't feel like I was running as fast as I wanted to. Decided to let my heartrate rule my decision making process. The first lap was pretty uneventful but I knew I wanted to push the pace for the second lap. I slowly increased my pace and went more by feel and stopped looking at my heartrate monitor for the entire second lap. During the second lap, I was passing a lot of other people in my age group. This made me feel good and motivated me to keep pushing the pace. About 3/4 of the way through the second lap, I realized that all the people in my A.G. I was passing, may have been only on their first lap and I was already ahead of them. Had a little chuckle to myself and kept pushing it. With about a mile to go, I pushed it for all I was worth all the way through to the finish line.

Considering the fact that 30 minutes after I finished my legs felt totally normal, I should've pushed harder on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and some nutrigrain bars and found a good spot to watch everybody come in on the run. Cheered on Jen, Tri-Z, TeeCris, JBrashear, friscobob, fasttoad, JeepFleeb.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing enough outside my comfort zone on the swim and the run.

Event comments:

Since I finished in the top 1/3 of my AG, I hit my goal of qualifying for the AG Nationals. Very good race and will probably do it again sometime. Two recommendations: 1. Have it marked better where you bike in to transition off of the course and 2. Have at least 1, probably 2 areas set up on the course for bike issues/repairs.

PS
Thanks to Jen who wrote up my RR as I dictated it to her on the drive back to Dallas. You are the BEST!

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 51/143
Overall: 403/1442
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 piece DeSoto
Course: Out and Back in a lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:40 | 24.85 miles | 22.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/143
Overall: 136/1442
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 4 laps around downtown Austin
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:02 | 06.21 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/143
Overall: 168/1442
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps around downtown Austin
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-27 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1426046

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
It's good to see you're saving money by not paying for a receptionist anymore.

Good race man, looks like you really busted out with a good time.
2008-05-27 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great race and really solid times. We always wonder if we could have gone "just a little harder".

Sounds like you had good day.
2008-05-27 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Great race, Doc.

Plus, you realize that you just opened yourself up for a new holiday for Jen.  Since she's now taking dictation, you need to treat her right on "Administrative Assistants Day," too.

2008-05-27 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Very nice bike split!  Sounds like the conditions were very hot.  Excellent race considering this.

And big congrats for qualifying for the AG nationals!  Are you going?

2008-05-27 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

why did you let Desiree pass you??

congrats on qualifying for nationals. You had a fantastic race and you are still getting faster, and giving me hope for us over 40 people..  oh yea get one of these for future RR's

2008-05-27 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

i know everyone else has told you about your awesomeness...but figured i'd add to it! great race baby. you are incredible. every goal you set, you achieve. very well done. very proud of you. very impressed by an incredible race. well done!!

thanks for teaching me to change my flat! although...maybe we should've done it before sunday?!?  (smiley face...)

2008-05-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1426465

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Gaarryy - 2008-05-27 2:11 PM

why did you let Desiree pass you??

Uhh... I think most heterosexual guys would let Desiree pass on a tri bike, even if their secretary GF is as cute as Jen!

Great race, Craig, especially the run split given the tough conditions.  

2008-05-27 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
It was great to see you out there and meet Jen!  You did awesome!  Great bike split, and way to hold it together on the run!  Are you Portland-bound?
2008-05-28 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Good work, man.  You've had a great two months of tris.  Looking forward to seeing you at a local race or two.
2008-05-28 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Very good race.  Congratulations on qualifying for Nationals.

TJ

2008-05-28 12:38 PM

User image

Austin, TX
great bike and run splits! and gratz on qualifying for the nationals
2008-05-28 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Great Job as always Doc!

Are you going to the AG nationals?

2008-05-29 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Fantastic race!  You crushed the bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed