General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor pedaling = sore calves? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-27 12:54 PM

Veteran
Subject: Poor pedaling = sore calves?
I'm cross-posting this from the Injuries and Health forum, in the hopes it'll see a little more action here. Any advice for a newbie would be most welcome:

My apologies if this has been covered before, but searching didn't turn up anything particularly relevant. If there are threads out there, please post a link and I'll go away quietly.

I just completed my first mini-sprint this last weekend, and at several points on the bike ride, I felt like my calves were going to go *pop*! This occurred mostly on the hills, of which there were several, but fortunately neither one ever did give out. I thought I might have been pedaling with the pre-clipless technique, pushing only and not pulling, but consciously concentrating on a "circular" pedaling style only seemed to help so much.

I was afraid that when I got to the run, this existing stress on the calves would really be a problem, but it turned out to be a non-issue during the run. If this rings a bell for anybody, do I just need to work on the "scraping mud off my shoes" style, or is this more likely a function of needing to spend more time in the saddle? I'm still pretty much a novice biker, so it might be mostly that.

Thanks,

Bob

2008-05-27 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1426230

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Poor pedaling = sore calves?
Since you mentioned it was during a mini-sprint I'm going to assume it was a pool swim. I did a 40 min. swim followed by about an hour bike last week and my calves were SCREAMING at me for the first 20 minutes! I know that was from pushing off the wall 96 times because I usually have no problem with my calves while out on the bike. I did an 8 mile run Saturday followed by a 48 mile bike Sunday and didn't have that problem- just the one time that I hopped on the bike right after getting out of the pool. Something to consider, hope that helps!
2008-05-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1426296

Veteran
Hmm ... This really was the first time I've gone immediately from the pool to the bike. I'd done a few sessions of swimming followed by biking, but there was always time to change, stretch, etc., between them. That has a certain ring to it.

Well, my next two races are OWS, one in a lake and the other in the big blue. I'll certainly try to do some swim-bike bricks with quicker transitions to see if that replicates the issue. Looks like more time stretching for me.

Thanks.
2008-05-27 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Don't point your toes. Keep a flat foot through the whole pedal circle. It'll cause your calves to cramp up. Try holding your foot in that position now and you'll feel your calves contract. Pedaling this way amounts to the same thing under load.
2008-05-27 1:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Might want to check you bike fit or pedaling. Your calves are considered a heart muscle in that they pump the blood from legs back up to your heart. If your heel is higher than your toes as that foot recovers to the top, you are restricting the blood flow from your legs. Might cause cramps and will impact performance. Make sure your heals are level with toes as your foot comes up to top of stroke....
2008-05-27 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

From the description you gave, your pedal technique does not sound faulty (e.g. mashing from 1:00-5:00 position) but right on target as you are avoiding the dreaded 6:00 deadspot.  That said, make sure that you are pulling with your quads through the 11:00-1:00 position as this will grant your calves a chances to relax/uncontract in preparation for the next stroke.

Another thing to explore is your bike fit and cleat placement/alignment.  Best way to do that is to ensure that you have a professional fit ... I know that is not what most people have to hear, but in the end it is cheaper than the co-payments you would otherwise make for related ailments.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor pedaling = sore calves? Rss Feed