General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Total Time = 2h 32m 13s
Overall Rank = 211/1438
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/80
Pre-race routine:

Written two days before race:

A couple of months ago I set my race goal as 2:31:00
Swim 24:30 (1:38 per 100m)
T1 2:45
Bike 1:15:00 (19.8 mph)
T2 2:15
Run 46:30 (7:30 per mile)

My training from January through March was fairly good, though slacked off a bit in April and May due to lots of business travel. In reviewing these goals today, I'm thinking the following:

Swim - I should be able to finish at a 1:38 pace, very possibly faster. I've only been averaging two swims a week recently, but this is my stronger discipline and I should be OK.

Bike - I set the pace goal at 1 mph below my pace two months ago at LoneStar Sprint. I'm a stronger cyclist today, but two months isn't enough to expect major gains. I might surprise myself and be closer to 21 mph, but I think that 19.8 mph is still a reasonable goal based on previous performance.

Run - I'm not sure about my 7:30 pace goal... I did run a 7:11 pace at the LoneStar Sprint, and 8:08 last summer in an Oly (I'm in much better run shape now). The 7:30 may be a bit of a stretch, but under 7:45 should definitely be doable....

Event warmup:

About 5 minutes of swim warm up.
Swim
  • 26m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Boy, this was the roughest swim start I've been in! I started front row center like I normally do, and the first 100 meters or so was pure body checks, elbows, kicking, etc. I don't know if the slower swimmers just get too excited and start too fast, or if I just start too slow and find myself in the crowd. I think the guys starting on the front row ends also started convening at the center, which didn't help...

I didn't feel all that great in the first few hundred meters, but eventually got in a rhythm. After the turnaround I drafted off a guy for a bit, tried to pass him but we stayed even, so I drafted off him again. That pattern continued for a few times until I decided just to stay on his feet rest of the swim and save some energy.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the front row at the outside edge. That way I can control the amount of contact, not be in the center of it.

I don't feel like I raced the swim, only swam it. Maybe next time push the pace more. I expected to be almost two minutes faster...
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

12 of 80 in my AG. I lost a few seconds as I had some trouble getting the wesuit off my ankles, but overall OK.

The strap on my right shoe was too loose and came out of the buckle at bike mount. It made it a pain to strap in, but at least I was dealing with it at 15 mph, not standing still.

Practice wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. After two loops I was way ahead of my goal pace even though my effort felt low. I picked up the pace a bit on the last loop, but not too much as I figured I needed so save something for the run.

The course was crowded on the fourth loop since all the Oly, Sprint, and maybe even First Tri were on the course at the same time. I had to slow down more than usual at some of the turns but I thought it was kind of fun to have lots of company!

I enjoyed riding a course in the middle of the city!

Nothing. I think I rode to the best of my abilites. Maybe I could have pushed the pace faster, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

A sock went on crooked which lost me a few seconds. Other than that, all good! #6 of 80 in my AG on this one.

I'm happy with my transitions today. I beat 3 people in my AG who were faster than me on the S/B/R, but slower in transition!
Run
  • 51m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot! My legs didn't feel stiff or anything after the bike, and I should be used to the heat, but I couldn't get my run going.

I started the run at an HR of 165. I wanted to bring it down to 160, then build speed and effort from there. But it never came down so I just plodded along.

In retrospect I should have tried running faster and getting my HR at or above 170. But for some reason I just didn't have the energy. And since I passed a few people in my AG but wasn't getting passed (except by two near the end of the run....) I didn't have much motivation to pick up the pace.

Try running faster. Even though it was hot, I finished feeling that I didn't give the run a good effort.

Don't dump water on my head. It felt good but got my socks and shoes soaked.
Post race
Event comments:

I thought it was a great venue and I'll do it again!

Last updated: 2007-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/80
Overall: 131/1438
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:09:44 | 24.85 miles | 21.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/80
Overall: 344/1438
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/80
Overall: 282/1438
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-27 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1427264

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I must of been right behind you on the swim I was dead center and 2nd or 3rd back. It was pretty nasty at the start. Wish I got on your feet though, I grabbed the wrong feet at the start it seems.

Good job out there!
2008-05-27 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Great race!  Despite the heat, it looks like you held it together pretty well on the run! 
2008-05-27 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race out there!!! Way to go on beating your goal for the bike, that is an outstanding split!!!! Couldn't agree with you more about running in wet socks, not fun. Congrats on a great race!!!!
2008-05-28 1:08 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Sounds like you had a great race! Sprint swim had virtually no action :-( It was actually kinda boring until we started passing previous wave.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed