General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma...Part II Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-29 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: Asthma...Part II
I didn't want to highjack the other Asthma thread so I started another one. Most of the time my Asthma and allergies are pretty regulated with my meds: Advair, Abuterol, Claritin, Nasonex.

However, this spring has been horrible. I've had 2 sinus infections and a constant cough. Now, it hasn't slowed me down on bike or run but my chest is usally tight/burning. In the water is a different story. I find that I'm very wheezy in the water.

Saturday I tried an open water swim and I just couldn't do it. My chest tightened up and I started wheezing pretty badly. It did get better but I had to basically get out of the water for about 5 minutes and then ease back in.

Has anyone else had these types of problems this spring?

2008-05-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1431015

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Asthma...Part II
Not the asthma but definately the allergies.  They are the worst I can remember.  Good luck working thru it 
2008-05-29 1:16 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Yes, the allergies this year have been particularly bad.  Try coming down south and seeing how you feel! 

That's made my asthma a little worse this spring, too.  I've had a sinus infection for what feels like forever.   

2008-05-29 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
MA
yes, had that experience the past Sunday.  I consider myself a good swimmer (not fast, but comfortable with OWS).  Sunday I was swimming in a local pond with a group and almost suffocated from not able to breathe properly.  Guess it's from swallowing pond water that is full of pollen.  Didn't have my inhaler with me - I volunteered at a race and was fine standing outdoors the entire morning w/o medication, so I thought I'd be ok.  In fact, of the 3 sports, swimming usually gave me the least trouble.  Managed to do 2 laps (HTFU on the 2nd) using mental relaxation technique - slow down, counting stroke, counting breath, slow down the inhaling process (head out of water for a longer time, meaning the body position is a little imbalance in the water).  Swam a lot slower than I normally do but got me through. 
2008-05-29 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
I finally got mine under control by taking 2 weeks of inhaled steroids. I never had my chest close up in the pool, thank God, but I did have a major attack on some running hill repeats we were doing. It was a bad pollen day and I was majorly affected. After that I did 2 weeks of the steroids, took a week off and then just my albuterol as needed. I haven't had to take the albuterol in a few weeks. I think the steroids did their job.

Is there a way you could hit some prednisone for a week and take a week off for the inflamation to recede? If you dont give your lungs some time to rest its just a vicious inflamation cycle.

It sucks bad - I feel your pain. Hope you feel better soon.
2008-05-29 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Another thing to think about...maybe it was the water temp?

I have pretty well-controlled asthma and take meds. Last year around this time I did an OWS and I couldn't breathe at all...I later found out it was an instinctive response from my body because it was shocked by the cold and not asthma at all (there was no wheezing or clicking or other odd sounds in my lungs - just inability to catch my breath).

I was told by a friend and many time ironman that I should just relax, put my head under the water and try to get used to the temperature.

It was still bloody cold, but my airways opened up pretty quickly without the use of my rescue inhaler.

This year, I've yet to get into the water. It was -3 celcius a couple of days ago! 

2008-05-29 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1431981

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
windnsnow - 2008-05-29 5:43 PM

I have pretty well-controlled asthma and take meds. Last year around this time I did an OWS and I couldn't breathe at all...I later found out it was an instinctive response from my body because it was shocked by the cold and not asthma at all (there was no wheezing or clicking or other odd sounds in my lungs - just inability to catch my breath).

I was told by a friend and many time ironman that I should just relax, put my head under the water and try to get used to the temperature.

It was still bloody cold, but my airways opened up pretty quickly without the use of my rescue inhaler.

This year, I've yet to get into the water. It was -3 celcius a couple of days ago! 

I have no doubt that the cold water was a big factor. I did have the wheezing so I can only guess that in the stress of catching my breath that it triggered the wheezing. I have a Tri on Saturday so I just going to have to HTFU!!!
2008-05-29 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1432181

User image

Pro
MA
jmickle11 - 2008-05-29 7:57 PM
windnsnow - 2008-05-29 5:43 PM

I have no doubt that the cold water was a big factor. I did have the wheezing so I can only guess that in the stress of catching my breath that it triggered the wheezing. I have a Tri on Saturday so I just going to have to HTFU!!!

that's one of the symptoms of (mild) hypohermia - everything constricted to retain heat.  Proper clothings, in this case a wetsuit, neoprene cap or double swim cap, would help.  A longer warm up and longer time to get use to the water is also  useful. 

Don't just HTFU.  If possible, try to get into the water tomorrow.  And stay in the water at least 10 min before your wave start.   

2008-05-30 12:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Oviedo, FL
It's been a gnarly year hasn't it? It seems like there wasn't even a winter and everything has remained in bloom. I had my asthma controlled until it freaked on me and I had to take a week of steroids, and it still doesn't feel 100%. Sadly this thread is making me feel good that I'm not the only one wheezing while exercising. It's starting to not feel so weird anymore...scary.
2008-05-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: #1432547

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
trigurl123 - 2008-05-30 1:40 AM

It's been a gnarly year hasn't it? It seems like there wasn't even a winter and everything has remained in bloom. I had my asthma controlled until it freaked on me and I had to take a week of steroids, and it still doesn't feel 100%. Sadly this thread is making me feel good that I'm not the only one wheezing while exercising. It's starting to not feel so weird anymore...scary.

Thanks, that's really why I posted this was to see if I was an odd ball! Typcially, I don't have any issues but this spring has been rough. I consider myself to have mild to moderate Asthma and can't imaging what some severe Asthma sufferers are going through. I see my doc in a week and I'm sure he's going to tell me that there's not much else to try.

Up here in Indiana I though we had enough of a winter to kill things off but evidently that wasn't the case. It sucks!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma...Part II Rss Feed