Wisconsin Triathlon Series
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 25s
Overall Rank = 401/736
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 61/84
Pre-race routine:

Ate a more carb-rich meal the two nights before. Ate my usual "race day" breakfast of banana, bagel with cream cheese, oatmeal, coffee, and lots of water. Continued drinking water driving to location and had a powerbar. I stopped eating my breakfast 2 hours before event start time.
Event warmup:

Little to no warmup, too excited for my first race. Got signed in, marked, transition set up, and hit the john before I got my wetsuit on. Got about 2 minutes of swimming in before my wave was called. I think the leg cramps I had during the bike were due to improper warmup, the air temp, the bike not fitting, and the leg warmers not being igh enough. Next time I know what to do and use my time wisely!
Swim
  • 08m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I did pretty well and was more annoyed than anything else about the flailing arms and legs and the weeds. It helped that the water was clear. I veered slightly off course about the 150yd mark, but righted myself. During the bouy to bouy length I found a rythm for breathing and swimming. What I thought seemed like a long distance I just put my head down and swam. Next thing I know I was close to the 2nd bouy. Stumbled when I stood up out of the water, was dizzy.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, go a bit faster, and not stop/start like I did 3-4 times. Possibly get up and run when others did near the exit.
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

After getting my bearings standing up after the swim I was able to function better. From the stone steps you had to run on grass past the transition area to get into transition. Also, the temp was about 38-40 degrees and I put on a bunch of cold-weather gear which took up most of the time.

Be faster and practice taking the suit off from my feet.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.99 mile/hr
Comments:

About mile 5 I got horrible calf and glute cramps. Part of my ankle and foot were numb from the cold. After coasting downhill to workout the cramps, I was able to climb back up it without any major troubles. It was about mile 8 when I started to get passed by many with newer bikes and were experienced. I had two gels and a powerbar and drank a bunch of water. This food break slowed me down, although I was worried about running on empty later on. By the end of the bike my feet were numb and my 50-55 min training rides for 15mi did not take into account the hilliness of the area.

Train on hills, warm up more, get a properly fitting bike (which I did), only have a gel and gatorade as I had a ton of energy left after the whole race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Nothing too difficult.

Nothing. Taking off the cold-weather gear took a lot of time.
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Started cramping, left calf again, about .5mi into the run and again at 2.5mi. Had to walk for 30 secs to stretch it.

Run faster as I felt like I had the energy. But I was in it to finish!
Post race
Warm down:

None - my excuse was the ground was too cold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not warming up, maybe not enough electrolytes, and just the thought that I might run out of gas if I go faster. So, my excuse was that I could take my time, albeit at a good pace, because my goal was to finish.

Event comments:

Beautiful course, fun and easy-going crowd, clean and clear lake, well organized, smooth roads (except first and last hills) decent post-race food. Will do again in 2008!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:17 | 440 yards | 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/736
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: In Devil's Lake with sandy bottom. Running beach start for about 30-40 yards. Very clear water to at least 6ft down. It was deep enough that everyone had to swim by the time you were out 50 yds. Last 40 yds you could run, then up stone steps. Past years the lake was shallow so people could mostly walk the swim (from what I've heard).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:16
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:04:19 | 15 miles | 13.99 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Flat out of park, then a hill climb that stretches .5 to .75 miles. Flattens a bit, then rolling smaller hills and some flats. Smooth country roads and little to no traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:31 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat with some very small rollers through the park and one of the campgrounds. It was nice to have some campers cheering people on.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-29 12:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2008-05-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1431110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to be making this my first tri this year, so it's good to hear a little feedback about this. I plan on doing a few training runs up there before the race so that I can kick some tail.
2008-05-29 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1431110

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
What - no comments about the loud mouth volunteer yelling at the bikers to slow down and be careful on the sharp left after the long, fast downhill?  That would have been moi.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed