General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 20s
Overall Rank = 209/1442
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/179
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 and waited on buehler and the somo crowd to venture over and utilize the traveling tri toaster. Ate an english muffin with peanut butter and drank water before meeting payne in the lobby. we all walked over to transition and set up.
Event warmup:

Sat around and listen to payne make jokes about everyone in the transition. Good for the nerves and created a funny mental image of payne struggling through this thing after his onslaught. The wait was long and I didn't feel great, but finally getting in the water was relieving.
Swim
  • 28m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best swim to date. Jumped in and got up to the front and took off at a comfortable pace. I was able to draft behind some guy for about the first 400m or so, then I went past him. I felt good and warmed up after that, and pretty much stayed comfortable and online the entire swim. I turned the buoys well and on the back stretched passed a ton of people (hadn't happened in previous races). Got to the exit and felt good, but it felt hot running to T1!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Keep swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Coming out of the water I could feel the humidity and heat. It wasn't all that hot yet, but I could just feel it for some reason. Got to my bike and was winded, took my time taking off the wetsuit and getting gear together. Could have tried to go faster, but I really didn't have it. Grabbed my bike and ran down the long T1 path and my bike went sideways in the sand. Got to the end and my heel stepped on a sharp rock, still sore today. Finally got to the mount, hopped on and took off.

I don't know if shoes on or off in T1 is a better idea. I guess pros and cons to each, normally I like my shoes clipped in, but this transition may have been better to run with them on.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on my first lap and tried to recover a little. Not so much, seeing as you are going up hill until the back side of the capital. On the downhill, I tried to relax and rest a little, but the crosswind gave me white knuckles and no luck again. Turned onto chavez and this was cool because you could fly, downhill and any wind was at my back. Turned back under chavez and felt good to the bridge and was ready for lap 2. My plan was to push lap 2 and 3 and according to my data, lap 2 was good, lap 3 not so much. Felt good on lap 2 the whole way, tried to relax and keep a good line all the way around. Lap 3, I took a GU and it gagged me bad. I threw up in my mouth and couldn't stomach a GU anymore. I don't know how/if this effected my energy on the run, but in an oly distance, I like liquid calories better. Final lap I enjoyed, caught bird on her last lap of the sprint and gave her a shout as we flew down chavez again. Made the turn, headed to the bridge and exited to the dismount.

Mix up some calories in my bottle. Not use the 1080 on the front because of the crosswinds coming down congress.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

T2 was uneventful, took a couple of endurolytes.

nothing
Run
  • 55m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Usually, after mile 1, I start to feel good. I could tell at about .5 miles that this was not going to be the case today. I was hot, tired, legs were heavy and HR was sky high. Ran thru the 1st water station throwing water on my head and drinking a little. Station 2, I walked and tried to take another GU. Swallowed some of it with a big drink of water and started running again. Managed to keep running until I got back to the very first aid station, where I took on the hose, put ice in my shirt, consumed every cup of water I could find and poured the rest on my head. Focused on running to the next station and did the same thing there. Made the rest of the run without stopping and felt okay when I wasn't running uphill, but overall the heat and humidity did me in on the run.

Run more in hot and humid conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

Found bird, teecris and tri-z in the post race area and waited for others to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat humidity on the run.

Event comments:

Love this race and will do it again. Austin always makes me wonder why I live where I do.

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:14 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/179
Overall: 181/1442
Performance: Good
Wore my HR monitor and I am still amazed at the numbers after the swim: AVG 167, MAX 173. Can't believe my HR is this high during the swim.
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Out 700m, turn RT 50m, back 700m, turn RT 50m.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:42 | 24.85 miles | 22.69 mile/hr
Overall: 99/1442
Performance: Good
Lap 1 = AVG WATTS 272, NP 294, AVG HR 167, 22.2 MPH. 85.8 degrees. Lap 2 = AVG WATTS 266, NP 293, AVG HR 167, 22.9 MPH. 84.2 degrees. Lap 3 = AVG WATTS 264, NP 282, AVG HR 165, 22.5 MPH. 85.3 degrees. LAP 4 = AVG WATTS 268, NP 289, AVG HR 168, 22.6 MPH. 87.2 degrees.
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Cool course, but crowded. Will definitely want to do this again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 410/1442
Performance: Below average
First 3 miles = HR AVG 172 Last 3 miles = HR AVG 175
Course: 3.1 mile loop
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-30 9:07 PM

User image

Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-31 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1434775

User image

Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
nice report homeslice...even nicer PICTURE on your blog. Oh. My.

if we are skipping Florida next year in lieu of Vineman, we are IN for captex...still love that race. Glad you did so great...
2008-05-31 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Nice race in spite of the heat!  The heat was brutal, especially for those of you in the later waves.  I didn't see many happy faces from your AG on the run...

Brian 

2008-06-01 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Top 15% in your AG is awesome. Great job fighting through the heat, on the run. Way to represent the Mantard Crew.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed