General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 33s
Overall Rank = 229/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/179
Pre-race routine:

Tri toaster hook up from toad and bird. After Lonestar this was a must. Peanut butter and honey on a cinnamon raisin bagel. Mucho water and gatorade. Walked over to transition with the group and hung around and people watched for 2 hours after transition closed
Event warmup:

light stretching to get the blood flowing in my arms
Swim
  • 28m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the second row and never got trampled from behind. Tried to draft but couldn't find the right speed so I went it alone. Had to dodge some other caps all the way along the back stretch. I felt like my sighting was good and I only had to correct myself a couple of times. This was a good swim for me but I can still improve alot in this area
What would you do differently?:

Get right up front, find the right guy to draft and hang on as long as I can.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Long transition area and heat made this a beating. I vowed to not stop running in transition after Lonestar but I had to for a short period and I was slow at my bike but I was winded and the heat was already applying it's evil all up on me

suck it up and move faster - always move faster, it's a race
Bike
  • 1h 07m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on new bike and it felt great overall. I got my HR into my training pace after the first lap and kept it there while keeping my speed up most of the way. Leapfrogged a couple guys the whole way and tried to beware of others as this was crowded. I went in thinking I wouldn't like the 4 loops but this was really cool. Drank a bottle of diluted Gatorade, bottle of water and had 2 Gu's on the bike - all as planned.

I rode the whole way with the run in mind and could have pushed it harder but my plan was to have a great run without compromising the bike. Had I known the heat was going to zap my run anyway I would have tried to make more time here but I followed my plan and was pretty happy with the result.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Almost forgot rule 1 from mtmoi - don't run out of T2 with helmet on. I went in planning on no visor or hat and apparently that has always been my trigger for taking off my helmet as I took a step or two away from my bike and realized my helmet was still on. That woulda been some funny stuff had I gotten to the run out line. I did take some Endurolytes in T2 which I think really paid off

go faster, always
Run
  • 54m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot from the start and I tried to stay positive but I don't mix well with the heat. I went a 1/2 mi with a 7:45 pace and told myself I could hold it the whole way as it felt like an easy effort. By the 2nd aid station at the top of the little hill I was begging for the hose and the cups of ice. I walked all the aid stations after that and one other time as I was just drained from the heat. I saw the kids and couldn't even fake it for them - I was miserable. The shade and breeze on Congress was amazing. I would have walked a lot more without that. I'm told they run a marathon in Kona after some swimming and biking and it's pretty hot there. Major props to those guys. I mentally dropped out of Longhorn during this run. But, in just a few short hours I forgot the pain and declared myself back in!

Not sure. Training is really the limiter here. Get stronger overall and especially in the heat. It's going to hurt but it may make races like this hurt less.
Post race
Warm down:

found the crew and swapped stories. Drank everything I could find

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and me

Event comments:

First time at cap-tex and I will defintely go back. Love Austin and loved this race.

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/179
Overall: 190/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: clockwise rectangle in Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:28 | 24.85 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Overall: 173/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Up Congress to the capitol, around the capitol, down congress and out Caesar Chavez in a loop and do it all again 4 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:54:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 375/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops, moderate inclines on the bridge and by the 2nd aid station
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-30 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-31 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1434903

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

You had a great race especially in the hot and humid temperatures! Your swim is fast!  Your run was still awesome even under the circumstances and your kids loved seeing you on the run!  Next time,  smile for them!!!

2008-06-01 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job out there on a tough day. You had a very strong swim and bike. Now, if either of us could run as fast as your wife......
2008-06-01 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
todd-o, you rocked this course. look at that swim bike AND run...i'm proud of you. you are fantastic!!  great job...i would have laughed if you had run with your helmet on!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed