General Discussion Triathlon Talk » uh-oh injured - what to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-31 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: uh-oh injured - what to do?
Starting last Monday after my long run, I felt a sharp pain in the top of my left foot. I laid off the running and it started to feel a bit better, but made the mistake of running 1.5 miles on Friday (till it hurt again) and now I can't put any weight on it. I was able to get to my orthopedic on Friday and had X-rays done - luckily no stress fracture which is what he thought it was -he said I could race Alcatraz next weekend if I didn't do any running before hand.
Here is the tricky part - I am entered in a sprint race tomorrow (first tri of season) It's a tune up race and to get the jitters out before Alcatraz (next weekend). Do I just skip out on the race? Or just do the swim and bike? Which don't seem to bother it - though a bit worried about the runs through T1 and T2...
Any advice? Ugh...this is sooo frustrating..my OW swim race last week got canceled and now this...not off to a good start.

2008-05-31 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1435085

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: uh-oh injured - what to do?

Hey - Skip the race. At best this race will get rid of those jitters, at worst knock you out of Alcatraz. I'm sure you have a lot invested in that. Listen to your body ( and your doc).

If you didn't have experience I might say otherwise, But you know what you're doing. Heal, then go kick some butt at Alcatraz.

Edited by rollinbones 2008-05-31 7:57 AM
2008-05-31 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
x2 be sensible.  Skip the race, give your foot the recovery time.  Get on that bike and in the pool and enjoy Alcatraz
2008-05-31 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1435097

Champion
South Jersey
2008-05-31 8:20 AM

User image

Elite

Have you been doing some speed work and/or hills?

I have had a similar injury.   For me, it was pushing off hard on the toes that put a load on the metatarsals.   It takes several weeks to heal.  I would stay off it for the time being.  It probably is a stress fracture.  It is a question of degree of bruising and microfractures that pushes it over the diagnostic line for the doctor.   Bone bruise or stress fracture, you treat them the same way.  Stay off it and let it heal.  Have some confidence in your background and race history.  You don't need a tuneup race.

If it isn't 100% by June 8, you may want to just swim and bike at Alcatraz.   Then, take the rest of the day off and get an early start up to Sonoma. 

TW

2008-05-31 9:14 AM

User image

Tyler,

I agree mostly with the post above mine. Coming from my experience x 2 one on each foot. I would say even though you had the x ray, the do not show stress fractures. It would probably take a bone scan.

My best advice I can give you is seek a good ortho doctor if you wish to confirm it as stress fracture. What you can do is where a "boot" that limits motion and takes the stress off the metatarsals.

For therapy you can do towell curls x 20, towell sweeps x 20and stack paper cups (about 5) x 10. As you progress then you can add balancing on the foot x 30 seconds, 5-10x.

For treatment Ice and Ibuprofen of course.

You can do deep water pool running and as you progress then you can run on the surface of the pool in the shallow end (with running shoes, if they let you, or aqua shoes).

Unfortunately, you probably shouldn't even consider running for a minumum of 2 months. It took me a bit longer, but you are probably less stubborn that I was. When you do come back to running, you should start on a "soft" track, with about a mile....if you need any other advice feel free to "PM" me.

I have actually just finished my running buildup from my second stress fracture and I am competing in the Red River Triathlon tomorrow, but I have run a few other triathlons before this. So, don't get discouraged just be smart about the therapy/treatment. Best of Luck!

William

2008-05-31 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
dont do it. its not worth it, your not racing for money here, and the work you have done to get there is already behind you.

I was in a similar position last fall, did one, ONE hard workout after things were bothering me, and at the end of it i could hardly walk, and ended up missing 3 months of winter/early season training because of it. take the weekend off, you;ll have a little longer taper, but it'll be worth it to keep racing all season (and i would be very careful of the bike this week as well, it might not feel like its hurting it but a lot of foot/lower leg injuries can get pissed by cycling).

hope its nothing and heals quickly!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » uh-oh injured - what to do? Rss Feed