General Discussion Race Reports! » Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes - Run8k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 1s
Overall Rank = 82/4036
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/413
Pre-race routine:

I tried to make it to the race site by 7:15 am to meet the running club, but I missed my bus. I took the next one, arriving at...8:45ish. I drank water all morning, and I ate some clif blocks a half hour before the race.
Event warmup:

I warmed up for a half mile, did some static stretches, then ran another half mile. My legs didn't feel very springy, which is why the warmup was broken up.
Run
  • 31m 1s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This wasn't an all-out race for me. Instead I wanted to do it as a tempo run, bracketing it with a warmup and cooldown. My goal was 7:00/mile, so I held back at the beginning. I'm sure my heart rate was under 170 bpm for the first few miles, and the pace felt very comfortable. I was talking to other people, although they didn't like that. There were no mile markers (that I saw) until mile 4, so I had to guess at my pace.

When I reached the end of mile 4, I looked at my watch and saw that I my pace had been 6:14/mile. This was much faster than intended. The final mile was a little quicker, just because everyone speeds up then. I tried to hold my place and not let everyone who was racing hard pass me. I actually passed quite a few more people, because I had a lot left in my tank. The final mile was done in 6:06.

Since I didn't want to kill my legs I tried to avoid a kick at the finish. So, shortly before the finish I passed some people in my vicinity and built a little gap. No one was able to close that gap at the finish, so I didn't have to sprint to prevent a kick-down.

Amazingly, my "training run" was actually a PR for the distance, which really just indicates that I almost never run the 8K. My last race at this distance was in 2001 or 2002.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Right after I crossed the finish, I took off for another 1.5 miles of cooldown at 8:00 pace. My legs felt very good and I could have kept running longer. Then I just stretched and called it a good 7.5-mile workout.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own restraint. In hindsight, I sort of wish I would have raced this, but I had decided to do it on a whim a few days beforehand and I didn't want to risk injury very early in the season.

Event comments:

Very well organized and fun. My only complaint is that they use poor quality ankle straps for the timing chips. The straps offer no protection from the edges of the chip, so by the end of the race my ankle had been chafed open and was bleeding everywhere. I would recommend wearing high-ankled socks to avoid this.

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:01 | 04.97 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/413
Overall: 82/4036
Performance: Good
Course: Flat route through Montlake neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-31 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes

2008-05-31 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1435494

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes
Good grief. I'm in awe.  What an amazing time!  That is fantastic.  My jaw is on the floor here.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes Rss Feed