United States
Desert Sharks Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 27s
Overall Rank = 189/218
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Raisin bagel with honey, water, a little coca cola. Set up transition, get marked, get timimg chip, bathroom break. Nothing unusual, from what I hear.
Event warmup:

None. Unless you count shivering on the pool deck.
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 360 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool swim, in a pool fed by natural mineral springs. mmmm, salty. No lane lines, so they devised some rather ingenius ones with pool noodles and rope. 9 lanes, one direction each lane, with steps at one end the full width of the pool. The start was off the entry steps in one corner of the pool. Max depth of the pool was 4 feet, well, pretty much the whole pool was 4 feet deep. It wasn't too bad, actually. I passed a couple guys, which is always good for the ego.:) About halfway through, the lane lines started to drift, so the lane would be a foot wideone minute, and 3 feet wide another. That added a challenging twist to the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Ummm, train in the pool a little more, maybe learn to sight ahead while doing freestyle. I did a fair amount of breaststroke, partly so I could see where the lane lines were.
Transition 1
  • 06m 23s
Comments:

Slow. Kinda on purpose. I was in no hurry to do the bike, and I took my sweet time drying off, puting on socks, etc. I could easily shave off a couple minutes here.

Um, not dry off more than once? Pop a couple power beans and another swig of water before heading out on the bike.
Bike
  • 49m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Chain came off halfway up the first hill. I took my time, took a drink of water, fixed the chain, then walked the rest of the way up the hill. By the time I got to the top, my legs were screamin'! Of course, they were doing that on the bike, too. I had planned on taking a couple breaks on the bike, but that was the only one I needed. Yay! And without the wind I finally got to experience a slow version of the "screaming downhills" the RD talked about last week on the group ride.

Train more on my bike. The rides I did a week ago REALLY helped, but I do need more time in the saddle in order to improve.
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

Again, took my sweet time, mostly on purpose. As I went back into transition, I thought to myself "eh, a little run with the bike wouldn't hurt". Ha ha ha. I'm not sure if the bike was steering me, or I was steering the bike. The race volunteer sure thought it was funny, though. Of course, I was laughing, too. I can't even imagine how funny I looked.

Get a race belt so I don't have to re-pin my bib # when I get warmed up. I'm really glad I took the long sleeve shirt off, though. I would also stop to take another drink. I could've pinned the bib while I ran to save time. Oh, and the reeses pieces I grabbed instead of the power beans in transition didn't help the dry mouth. they did taste good, though. Next time, the power beans.
Run
  • 34m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Got a little cotton mouth going on. I should have drank more during transitions. There was a water station every mile on the run, though. that helped. I felt like I was hardly moving while I was riding. between the post-bike lead legs and the fact that I feel super slow when running outdoors anyway, I wasn't able to run the entire 3 miles. I did, however run for 1 to 2 minutes with 1 minute walking intervals. when I look at my pace for the run split, I think I know why. I usually run at about a 12 to 13 minute mile pace, unless I'm outdoors, then I tend to run a 9 pr 10 minute mile pace. I can't keep that up for the full 5k, though, even in training. At least not yet. :)

Drink more earlier in the race and in transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Huh? Warm what? Oh, walking around, stretched a little, got a massage from a too-strong MT. It hurt. And not always in a good way. Ate some grapes and a drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue, lack of training, and coming down with a cold. I hardly slept the night before, both because of the kids and the scatchy throat, not to mention the nerves and insomnia. Next time: a hotel for 2 nights before the race instead of one, or leave the kids home, or insist they stay in Grandpa and Grandma's hotel room. Also, lack of training. I did train, but not as consistently as I could have. and the cold? Well, it's an occupational hazard, both at home and at the job I get paid to do.

Event comments:

I went into this race with the intention of finishing, and still being able to walk the next day. Also, I was hoping to get the race done in under 2 hours. I really surprised myself and did it in under 1:45:00. I feel really good so far, just tired.
I would love to have someone at the finish line cheerng for me next time. My parents fell asleep after I left the hotel in the morning, so the family overslept, didn't get to the race until after the road was closed. Actually, they didn't even leave the hotel until after I had finished the race (partially because they knew they wouldn't make it before the road was closed). It would have been nice to have my hubby there, too, but someone's gotta go make the money to pay the entrance fee for the race, and buy me lots of cool tri gear. :) I did kind of expect a phone call sometime a few days before the race to wish me good luck, though. But there, again, is the life of the globe-traveler. I'm not even sure he realizes what day it is at home at this point. I am really glad that the tri club put together a group ride and run on the course a week before the race. that helped tremendously with my nerves. Also, I met several women that day that ended up being my cheering squad after the race. I don't know what I would have done without them! And of course, the race was well put together and well run. I enjoyed it very much and plan on doing it again next year. :)

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 360 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 70/218
Performance: Good
Suit: tri top/shorts
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:45 | 12 miles | 14.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 182/218
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A couple hills, lots of cattle and horses along the old country highway we rode on. Beautiful day for a ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:58 | 03.11 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 185/218
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, mostly downhill on the way out, mostly uphill on the way back, again on the old highway, but a different section. Again, gorgeous scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-31 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: Shark Attack Triathlon

2008-05-31 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1435886

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Shark Attack Triathlon
Great job Amy, that's super times for a first tri. 
2008-05-31 9:53 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Awesome job Amy!

we were there in spirit with you  

2008-06-01 12:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Awesome Amy! You did such a great job. Congrats to us!
2008-06-01 10:13 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Great job on your race Amy. You Go Triathlete Girl.
2008-06-01 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Sorry I couldn't have been there *sniff sniff*

You did great, now next time don't text em so late at night and GET TO SLEEP

2008-06-01 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Great job, Amy! Way to surpass your goals! Today, you can rest
2008-06-02 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Amy, congrats triathlete!  Sounds like a very well-planned race...

Glad you had an 'adopted' cheering squad to bring you in...

I had to laugh at this one...

...got a massage from a too-strong MT. It hurt. And not always in a good way...

O.K....so when does it ever hurt 'in a good way?'

Congrats on a great race! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shark Attack Triathlon Rss Feed