Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 46s
Overall Rank = 61/77
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30am. Ate half a peanut butter sandwich. Did about 15 min. of stretching. Shower to wake up. Banana. Ensure shake. Gathered my things and left the house about 4:45. Had to stop at Kroger to get a camera since I haven't been able to find mine since the move. About an hour and a half to the race. Got there slightly later than I wanted, but enough time to do everything.
Event warmup:

Gathered on the beach for the pre-race briefing. Had about 40 min. until my wave went off, so I did some good stretching, and felt the water temp. No real warm up though.
Swim
  • 18m 19s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim for me, although the time doesn't really show it. I was really worried that I would lose control of my breathing or panic in the water (or get kicked in the head). It felt great. I passed people left and right. I guess I should have started closer to the front. Long run up the beach to transition which was included on the swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe start closer to the front. And have a little more confidence in my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Wow, that was a lot longer than it felt. I definitely was not woried about my transition times for this race. I'll worry about that in the next one. But I can see here that this needs some work.

Not take my sweet @ss time.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 46s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.11 mile/hr
Comments:

A lot harder than I thought it was going to be. My legs got very tired very quickly with all the hills. I started to get very discouraged about half way through when I noticed how many people were passing me and I didn't see anyone behind me. I need to work on not paying attention to what everyone else is doing.

Hills! I think more biking in general will be beneficial. As for the race, I did all I could do.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Took a minute to drink some more and took a few sips of a frozen ensure shake. Should have been faster given that I didn't have to change shoes.

Learn to jump off bike. Run with bike (I was just tired and my legs weren't ready to run yet). Put race belt on as I was running out.
Run
  • 33m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a little bit of a breakdown on the run just before the turnaround. I don't know what happend. It was like a panic attack. I couldn't breath, I couldn't run. I had to walk for about a minute. All I could think was how many hours I spent training and that I was going to be last again. When I got to the turnaround, I saw a bunch of people that were still coming. I think that made me feel a lot better, and allowed me to pick up the pace a bit. I was still really tired after the bike, so it certainly wasn't my best run. But I made it running back the whole way (and passed a few people too).

Work on some longer bricks. I run after almost every bike, but not usually too far. My legs didn't feel too bad as far as the transitioning was concerned. It was more of just being wiped out after the bike. My entire body was tired. Again, need to focus on racing my own race. Not what everyone else is doing.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade. Walked around for a bit and did some strectching. Had a bit of the ensure shake and whatever random food was around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, it was my first tri, so that was probably a factor. The bike hurt a lot. And it was pretty hot by the time the run came around.

Event comments:

The only thing that was too difficult was the bike course for me. Slightly more hills than I was ready for. Overall a great race. Lots of volunteers and very well organized. All the people were awesome. Everyone I talked to throughout the day was so encouraging, even those who were behind me. I'd definitely like to do it again next year, and hopefully my legs will be a little stronger by then. I'm failry pleased overall. I did meet my next goal which was to finish the race and not be last.

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:19 | 820 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 25/77
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Odd 4 sided triangle type configuration.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:03:46 | 15 miles | 14.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 67/77
Wind: Little
Course: Loop around the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:59 | 03.11 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 56/77
Course: Out and back. Somewhat hilly. Seemed to be a steady incline on the way out.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-31 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1436029

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your first tri event. You will continue to improve so not to worry. The bike course was a tough one indeed. It was a hot day and I am sure that was one main factor to slow you and all of us down. Keep up the good work and all your goals will be met.

Cheers.
2008-06-01 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job!! It was a scorcher out there and you still finished strong.
2008-06-01 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Did you take a nap or do you nails in T1?  Goodness woman.  We need to work on that, lol
2008-06-01 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
I should add another "for next time"...don't have your friends stand next to your transition area.  Too much temptation to chit chat. lol.
2008-06-02 12:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well done Jess, as part of our little group I am really proud of you; is sounds as though you did it tough towards the end but still got it done. Go you!!! I'm now even more keen to get my first one out of the way.

2008-06-02 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Yay! First one out of the way.. the road to Ironman continues.. oh, trust me, every triathlete is on the road to an Ironman, whether they admit it or not.

Looks like a great race though. Dollar is right about T1 though. When will the book that you wrote while in T1 be released?

As far as your slight panic attack on the run. A good way to counter that is to always stay focused on the goal, and that is to A, finish, and B, beat the person in front of you. Sometimes our minds and bodies go to crazy (panicky) places if we let them, and most of us have during a race.

Great job. What's next?
2008-06-03 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Your first race? Congratulations!!

Careful, these things are addictive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}