Lower Shore Family YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:15 quick shower and load bike. On the road & pickup Josh at 4:15 Anglers, arrive on site 6:30, time passed quickly with conversation. Set up transistion started to get excited. Talked to freinds Pat and Dan from ATC. Looked at some interesting bikes, 20"wheeled Bike Friday and a Cheetah won most interesting.
Event warmup:

Just a quick plunge to get wet. Swimming is enough warmup for me.
Swim
  • 14m 14s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My only concern was being in the last wave and my poor swimming I thought for sure they were going to ask me to roll up the carpet as I went up the hill to T1. But luckily others were still in the water so no such request. Actually I am pleasantly surprised by the time although I know the course was shorter then advertised, no problem from this guy. Also liked the later wave as we didn't have the faster younger folks climbing up my back as they zoomed by.
What would you do differently?:

Now I need to learn how to swim around people, never was a problem before as I had never passed anyone either. I stopped way too often at kicking feet.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Loose gravel at the exit I took conservative approach, put bike shoes on and walked bike. As I entered the road there was a guy fixing a flat most likey from those stones he rode over.
Bike
  • 45m 11s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out hard (big chainrin) as it was our only chance with the wind to our back, backed off (little chainring) during the worse of the head winds. People talk about hill climbing being tough. Fighting the wind is as tough with two important differnaces. First there is no visible end/peak to get to. Second NO comfort in looking forward to a screaming fats downhill.
I CAN NOT bunny hop rumbble strips as I needed to get around several slower groups early on in the ride.

Race with less wind:) Nothing I was pleased with my efforts. Learn to bunny hop better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Felt okay to ride over the stones on the return due to having been in control of the bike for last 40 minutes. Also no concerns about flating a tire now.

Nothing, feel good about my conservative decisions.
Run
  • 38m 18s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt my left thigh piriformis tighten up right after the turn onto the road. Worked to shake it out but not going to. Fought with it the whole way. Need to find out how to stay injury free. My body takes a beating running. I was most disappointed as I felt I was better prepared.
The only good news is my swimming is not my weakest link anymore.

? darn good question
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some fluids in. Too tender to strech so did what I could do, eat. Talked over the race with Pat, Dan and Josh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

RUNNING

Event comments:

Was a nice place for a race. Enjoyed the use of the YMCA locker room as opposed to Spot-A-Pots. Pre and post race, even shwoers if we wanted to. Will do it again next year. Post race festivites included Josh and I getting back on the road home as quickly as possible.
I am a little confused on my timing as the race clock read 1:42:00ish when I went through but I started 8 minutes later in my wave? No biggy but what am I missing?

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:14 | 880 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 108/
Performance: Good
At T1 my HR was at 138 but I walked up from the water.
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: Pond circumnavigation 4 bouys keep to your left. After the start you could see the bottom for most of the race including bluegills when you get off course as I did.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:11 | 14.5 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Overall: 59/
Average HR 147 max at 153, I felt I did well and was able to ride my best. Cadence was 91 average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Three legged triangle, total climb 480'. Short leg had the only tail wind, other two all head/cross winds. Rubble strips on the shoulder forced you to slow down around slower riders two/three abreast. Once off the highway very nice country roads with guards posted at the tr\wo busier intersections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:18 | 03.5 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 150/
Performance: Bad
AVG HR 142 max 152
Course: grassy field 1/4 mile turn left, run on road out and back flat road, return across grassy field to chute
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: Pocomoke Triathlon

2008-06-01 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1436130

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pocomoke Triathlon
Great finish! I also had some problems with the rumble strips, and finally just decided to stay on the outside of them.
2008-06-01 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Great race. Wish I had some advice about the injury issues, but I am sure there is some fix out there somewhere. Awesome to see the suburb swim numbers. You had better figure out a way to go over/around people with that kid of a split. Sorry about the run, I know from expereince how that can be a let-down. But, sounds like you had fun anyway and enjoyed the group you raced with, and that's what this is all about. Well done.
2008-06-02 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Wow, you smoked the swim!! You are just going to have to start out in the front of the group, then you won't have to worry about getting around so many people!!  Awesome numbers on the bike, it was really windy!!!  Considering you had "issues" on the run, you did darn good there too.  You have definately been logging the miles so it was not a lack of preparation.  Unfortuantley there is just no way of knowing when all the parts aren't going to cooperate.  Keep stretching, you will naill the run on the next one.
2008-06-02 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Hey skip - thanks again for the ride and I really enjoyed the fellowship on the way down and back.  Of course, kudos to you for really nailing this race, despite a couple curve balls thrown your way.

My time was off as well, but not nearly as much as yours.  I know is I was 1:28:something when I went across the line, but my official time is 1:29:04.  It's possible that by the time you went through they had switched the clock to read the time from the last wave, but seems unlikely in a race without an elite/pro field (they usually switch to AG time after the top finishers come through in those races).

Good luck with the leg.  I don't even know how to pronounce your condition, let alone advise. 

Oh, and next time if you could drop me off when it isn't raining cats and dogs, I will remember not to leave so much of my stuff in your car.

2008-06-03 10:14 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
nice work out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocomoke Triathlon Rss Feed