United States
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 12m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel, bowl of ceral, and a glass of orange juice. Grab some water and a "granola" bar before the race. Things were already packed and ready to go.
Event warmup:

I got there a half hour after the sign in started but they were still setting up and did not have the timing chips yet. It was way overcast and started to rain around 8:00. I sat in my car for a bit, then decided to run in the rain. I figured, it wasn't going to clear up any time soon. I racked my bike, put my shoes in a pastic bag and waited to start. Right before the start, I had a Gu.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1200 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 23.6 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

It is hard to gauge your performance as you race in a time trial start compared to others, unless everyone is passing you. I had to really rely on myself to gauge this. I did get passed by 3 people and I passed a few too, but that doesn't matter because you have no idea what is going on 20 minutes behind you. I started out at a medium pace for the first mile just to get my bike legs going. At the first downhill portion, I started to kick it up. Any uphill portions I hit, I cruised and any flats or downhills, I kept a pretty solid place. about 8 miles into it, my chain popped off the front. I didn't panic. I shifted back up and slowly turned the crank and it went back on and so did I. Half way through, I had another Gu and the rain stopped. My bike and I were covered with mud, gross schmegg and dead worms from the road. I opted for no socks since they would have just been water logged and probably bunched up. That was a good decision. Mile 15, my foot was a little tingly so I took my foot off the pedal shook it out and slipped it back on.....well it was wet and my clip didn't catch. Instead, I slipped the pedal and my ankle took a ride across the chain ring slicing my ankle open. I immediately blocked it out and clipped back in and kept going. Once and a while I would look down too see how bad it was bleeding and then foused back on the road. The last few miles, I upped my cadence and cruised a bit to get ready for the run.
What would you do differently?:

Eat some food. You'll see why in the next part.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

One bike was barely hagging on the rack and as I racked mine, it tipped over. The girls down the row said, "it's not your fault". Not much to do in this transitions. Shoes off and running shoes on, Squirted some water on my ankle, helmet off and away I went.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 01m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was breaking and everythig felt good. I kept an ez pace for the first third then then the plan was to increase for the second third and then on the hills back in, I would kick it into high gear. I took a few sips of water and a little on my head to stay cool along the way. Then it happened. At the turn around (mile3) I could feel hunger coming on and there was no food to eat on the course and I had nothing. This happened to me once before in training and I knew it wouldn't go away. I also knew that if I pushed it, I would bonk real hard. So I just kept my ez pace and focused on the finish trying to ignore my empty stomach. It sucked because people were passing me and I couldn't turn it up and I knew under better circumstance I could. I just had to maintain and get through it. My ankle was getting sore and I was developing a monster blister on my big toe. I guess my new shoes are just a hair to small. As I turned the final corner, I had no gas in the tank and just cruised in under the finish line.

Take food with me. Different shoes are a must.
Post race
Warm down:

I went straight to the food and ate a ton. 2 bagels, mountain dew, water, fig neutons, harvest bar and pretzels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of food

Event comments:

The actual race started on time and ran smoothly. Events leading up to the rcae were a little nutty do to the swim being cancelled and the crew setting up a little late. At the end of the day though, I learned a lot about strategy, preparedness and my mental ability. Considering the obsticles I had, I still feel like I handled it all well and made the best decisions I could. I feel like I am just that much more ready for the next one.

Last updated: 2008-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1200 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim portion was cancelled due to high bacteria count in the water. I tend to be a conspiracy theorist kind of person and think that it was really because of the cold water. I have never in my life heard of high bacteria count at this location. Not that it hasn't happened, I've just haven't heard of it before. There is no minimum water temp to cancel a swim and many people would of been ticked off if that was the reason they cancelled it. Many of our tri club members were in the water many times leading up to this and and were a little bummed out. High bacteria however....ewww who wants to complain about that? Who can tell if it is true too? Anyway, just my opinion. It was what it was and so you move on.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:00 | 23.6 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Because the swim was cancelled, they decided to do a time trail start on the bike, something I never have done before. This whole thing really through off my strategy for race pace and nutrition. I was really making it up at the last moment. I decided to go pretty hard and chill the last few miles and see what happens on the run. About 6 miles of one section was tar and chipped 2 days before. Pot holes were filled the same way and it was rainy and wet. The course is not cut off from traffic and is pretty much rolling hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:00 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: First part was flat for 1/2 mile, then up a few hills to the tar and chipped road. The road has quite a curve/arch to it so from time to time I would weave from the left to the right of the road to keep my ankles from getting sore.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: Edinboro Triathlon

2008-06-01 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1436227

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Edinboro Triathlon

If the bacteria count was high enough to cancel the swim it probably has been there for a while. EWWWWWW, to that business. 

OUCH on the ankle and near bonk.  Glad you are able to see what you need to do to prepare for longer course races too. 

Great job racing smart in rough circumstances too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Edinboro Triathlon Rss Feed