View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Total Time = 1h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 33/162
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep too well the night before, it wasnt nerves so much as i couldnt get confortable. woke up at 5 and ate a bagel w/ peanut butter, bannanna, a GU and some gatorade. Got to the race site around 6:30-45 to set up and get ready
Event warmup:

Light stretching and ran a good half mile to get the blood flowing. They hoarded us into the swim start corral about 30 minutes before my wave started, so a lot of standing around and waiting. Im telling you, that will get to your nerves more than anything else. And the fact that my family was here didnt make things any easier
Swim
  • 14m 47s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

What an amazing swim! I couldnt have asked for better. Started on the outside, so i had to climb over maybe 2 people to start my beat. No breathing problems, used a new method this time which worked fine (bilateral breathing with two breaths on each side before switching to the other). The only thing that the swim is kinda inaccurate on is the time. The swim out run to transition is factored in, which included a nice HR maxing out hill climb. Needless to say, it added a nice 1.5-2 minutes to my time for the swim
What would you do differently?:

Pushed a little harder
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Wow was i tired for this one, i actually walked for a sec in transition! The hill from the swim to transition area was brutal, so it really took a lot out of me. But thank God I brought some body glide with me, or else the wetsuit would have not come off. Ran with the bike, and off I went.

Learn how to do a flying mount
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, since Im from Macon, I was pretty familiar with the course already, so I knew what to expect. I just got into the groove and set off, knowing that I had a run to do after this. I was passed by a couple of people, most of whom had $4-5k bikes, but doesnt it feel good to pass someone who is on a bike that costs more than your car! However I was really glad to be done with the corse. One thing I really need to work on is increasing my patience on the bike, its the most mental portion of the entire race IMHO. The thing that slowed me down the most was the fact that around halfway through, my calf began to seize up and cramp. Caused me to slow down more than what i would have wanted, and it also carried over into the run, which is probably what caused me to loose the podium spot.

Focus a little more and push through the tough parts without holding back as much
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Slower than what I would have wanted, but theres not much I can complain about

I think the cramps in the legs from the bike made me nervous and caused me to slow down more than what I would have wanted.
Run
  • 26m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Naturally, running is my weakest moment of the race, so in my mind, I just wanted to finish it. I was nervous from the cramps from the bike, and the jelly legs didn't help much either. By the time I was in a good pace, I was about a mile in, and too tired to maintain the pace. This is where I lost the podium, so next time, run faster!

Train more with running and bricks. I know its my weakest element, so of course it needs the most work.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a clear training schedule before hand, and become more disciplined in the sport

Event comments:

This was a great race, although quite bittersweet. I had the family there this time, and really wanted a podium finish. I was away from the podium by a mere 3 minutes, which im sure you know how that feels to be so close.

Now that I have done my second race, I think its about time to get more serious about this sport. I know this is what I want to do, there is no denying how I feel when I race. If this is something I care so much about, I need to make a better commitment to myself when it comes to training and eating properly. Maybe if I was doing that before the race, I would have made up that 3 minute difference that lost me a age group finish.

This is only the beginning! Next time, the game will be much different!

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:47 | 750 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 15/162
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Fullsuit
Course: Simple triangle in the water, beach start
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:52 | 15 miles | 19.62 mile/hr
Overall: 38/162
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly out on Eisenhower Pkwy and around the lake. A hot course too, since there was so little shade
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:36 | 03.11 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 71/162
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back, uphill on the way out
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1436426

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon
Great swim time! Transitions, too.. Esp. for your second race. Those kind of T times would be more likely from someone who's been at it awhile, so that's a great sign.

Congrats again and nice RR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed