Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 51s
Overall Rank = 72/278
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 17/52
Pre-race routine:

Up early for some breakfast and last minute packing. Picked Dudley up at about 5:45 to head to the race site. Set up transition and chatted with ridgelake, jackjack, and kam32 before heading up for my turn in the pool.
Event warmup:

This is a pool swim and they send people out by anticipated time. When it was my turn to get in the water I did a couple of laps of the diving pool.
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went ok, I have had better times and worse times. I would have liked to warm up a bit more as I seem to get into more of a rhythm after a couple of hundred yards, but I don't think it would have had a huge impact. Rob (ridgelake) started right ahead of me, but that was the last time I would see him until the race was over. I passed one person who appeared to be having issues of some sort and I didn't get passed, but a guy that started 4 or 5 spots behind me did come out at the same time. Time includes the time up and out of the school and a couple of hundred yards across the parking lot to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

I'll just keep on swimming, sooner or later I'll either get better or drown.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I wore into the pool what I was wearing other than shoes and socks. I decided I would wait until T2 to put socks on. I didn't have my shoes opened enough and got hung up a bit with that.

This is the first one in a while, just a bit rusty.
Bike
  • 49m 52s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off out of transition and tried to get into a steady cadence and take inventory as to how I was feeling. Not too bad, other than a bit on the cold side. I changed gears on the bike and other than a short ride yesterday I didn't have a lot of experience with the change. Once I found the right gear going up and down the hills I like the new gears, but I was out of sync chasing the right gear. Fought the cross winds heading south and pretty good head wind going west but only got passed by a couple of guys right out of transition. At one point I thought I had missed a turn because I couldn't see anyone ahead of me or behind. Once we started heading north I picked up the pace a bit and the wind seemed to be pushing more than it had so that helped. Started picking off some slower riders that must be good swimmers. Tried to save the legs some on the bike between the hills and the 70 miles I rode yesterday, they were starting to mutiny.

Keep riding more. My biking is improving, but lately the focus has been more on endurance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I put the socks on here and it slowed me down. When I looked at the results at the race site I thought it said I was below a minute, but it must of been someone else.

Watch the ITU race in Geneva next month and learn from the pros then practice, practice, then practice some more!
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first part of the run felt ok but the legs were somewhat heavy. No one really around me to start and I forgot to put the Garmin on so I had no idea the pace. About half a mile into it I got passed, so I started to pick up the pace some. The run was uneventful besides that. Passed some people and got passed by a couple more. I think I ran too conservatively at the beginning and paid for it in my overall time.

I either need to remember my garmin or learn to pace better without it (probably both).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched a bit. Chatted with Kam (she was still waiting to head out for her run as part of the relay), Jackie (she was back on the bike from her relay) and ridgelake who had a great race! (I thought I would get you on the run, Great Job!!) Waited for Dudley (dexter) who had a late start time, to finish. Ate a sandwich and tried to stay warm. Met Heather (heidimom) whom had swam in Jackie's relay team. BT was well represented (where's marmadaddy?) at this race! I had a great time and it was an awesome way to break up the ironman training! (Much better than dodging ice bergs at Keuka next week ;) !!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Last year my overall time was 1:34:59 and this year it was 1:27:51. Although I would have like to get closer to 1:25:00 and I think I can, I am happy with the time today.

Event comments:

There were plenty of aid stations on both the run and the bike (unusual for the distance), but the intersections and cross roads lacked the attendants they had last year. Other wise it was a pretty good race and Score-This always does a good job.

Last updated: 2008-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 300 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/278
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Swim laps in a 50 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:52 | 15 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 15 mile loop with either ups or downs. Not much flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop north of the bike course with some hills but nothing significant.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

Edited by kenj 2008-06-01 4:39 PM

2008-06-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1436654

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Nicely done!
2008-06-01 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job chopping 7 minutes off your time from last year!!!  I figured you were going to catch me on the bike, and certainly the run.  But that will be another day. 

Great seeing you again this weekend.  It was a lot of fun hanging out with you!

2008-06-01 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Nice race, Ken!   Your swimming has really improved!  You'll get better with transitions.  I think I always have to sit down after a swim to get my shoes on. 

2008-06-02 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Nice job, I think that is a great improvement from last years time, sounds like the swim went well.

Here's a tip (I am full of advice today) stick your Garmin in your running shoe, that way you won't forget it.  But probably a good thing to be able to determine pace without it. Smile

2008-06-03 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I was in Vermont doing a half marathon with my lovely bride.

Nice race, 7 minutes off of a Sprint is huge! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Town of Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed