Pike's Peak Road Runners
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 25s
Overall Rank = 5/150
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

Drove down from Denver... I had to make a huge detour because of the Elephant Rock Century in Castle Rock. Arrived, wrote a check, had a sip of water, got to the starting line, set my watch, talked to a couple of the fast guys and then go!
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 18m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not prepared for this course. Yesterday, I swam 2000, rode 68 and ran 4 miles at a 7:00 pace... I decided to do this course so that I could go for a PR. I had no idea that more than half the course was uphill nor did I know that the town where the race was held was at 7000 feet above sea level! Boy o Boy, what a surprise! Within in 1/2 mile I knew I was in for a world of hurt and I also knew that I would not be PRing today!

What would you do differently?:

Choose an easier 5K. Other than that, I ran as hard as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out... talked with some of the finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Elevation and uphills

Event comments:

OK, I didn't get the course or race that I was looking for. But efforts like this are worth their weight in gold. Anytime you can max out your hr for a sustained run, you win. It is as simple as that. I look forward to the Big Sky Duathlon next Saturday! This was the perfect tune-up!

Also, I was talking to some younger runner before the race about triathlon and sucking at swimming. Anyway, after the race we got together and chit chatted with some of the faster runners. At a certain point everyone was talking about the colleges they ran for and someone asked me who I ran for... To their surprise I told them I didn't run in college... The kid that I talked to is a full ride Kansas State runner and a 33 min 10K runner. He beat me by less than 10 seconds today. The top 6 or 7 runners were all within a minute of each other and the course allowed no one to break 17 minutes. All in all, I did well! Drink up and be somebody!

Also, I'm looking for a FAST 5K course. Preferably in the Denver area... know of any? I'd love to see what I could do at sea level...

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:25 | 03.11 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/?
Overall: 5/150
Performance: Good
Avg HR 162... 167 @ the finish
Course: Starts at just below 7000 feet and climbs to nearly 7300 feet before it turns back down the hill to the finish. All on pavement with the finish on the track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes