United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 32/250
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I spent all day Saturday moving furniture, most definitely NOT a recommended pre-race routine!!
Event warmup:

Zippo. Checked in, strapped on the fuel belt with one 6oz water and one 6oz gatorade. Also brought along energy beans and salt tablets, I knew those would come in handy given the heat.
Run
  • 4h 29m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Without any marathon training to speak of heading into this (longest run was one 2 hr run a few weeks ago), my race strategy was to run "steady and disciplined". The guide indicated to take your good marathon time and add one hour to approximate what you'd run here. Knowing the field was forced to walk so many of the hills, I mapped out a 8:30 type pace and told myself to run that pace whenever running, from the very first mile. I didn't want to bonk or hit a wall at mile 20 in this kind of race, so the goal was to feel as good as could be throughout.

From the start of the race to about the 8 mile mark, I ran very comfortably including all the hills. I then ran and talked with a guy for several miles who had run a few 100-mile races which was beyond impressive not to mention insane. I couldn't help but notice he was walking the tough hills even fairly early in the race and would run during all other times, so I figured if that strategy worked for him, it would work for me. So from that point forward I walked every big hill and then immediately began to run and get back into my groove.

Being disciplined to maintain a slower pace would be tough but I thought I did a good job of that. I also was proud of how I forced myself to drink and fuel up every 30 minutes. I usually suck at being disciplined. But being so warm, I knew I'd pay for it big time later if I don't stay hydrated and get some nutrients in me. Ran much of the middle part of the race solo, couldn't see a soul in front or behind. Without any real marathon training for this, I actually chuckled to myself during the race thinking "hey, it's 2 hrs and I'm still running". "Hey, it's 3 hrs and I'm still running". The slower pace definitely helped and I knew my strategy was just right.

A volunteer told me late in the race I was around 20 miles in, and I knew going a few more miles was doable and I still felt pretty good, which shocked even me. Only thing really bothering me was the heat and getting that heat-stroke feeling like you might hurl if you don't stay under control. So I did my best to keep drinking, also pooring water on my head to stay cool.

There was one marker on a tree that said I had about 1.2 miles to go. That last mile was definitely the toughest. Though I occassionally battled the mental marathon demons off and on, I didn't battle the physical demons until this last mile. I had no problem keeping going, but was burning up and felt like I might hurl at any point. With no other runners around, I decided to walk more than I had before, not just the hills. I'd say I walked 1/2 of the last mile, but that was fine by me.

Finally exited the woods to some cheering spectators, I asked where do I go for the finish line and someone yelled out "you're done, just stop running". Was funny. The 20 minutes following the race sucked, as is usual. Felt much better after those 20 minutes, but I had to just lay next to the car and veg for a bit to let the body simmer down. I was happy with the race strategy and discipline during the race, feeling pretty good throughout the race, and glad I can say I tackled a crazy challenging trail marathon, my first ever trail race. Mission accomplished...
What would you do differently?:

Train? Nothing really, pace and race worked out well.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid next to the car for 20 minutes resting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

About 20 million hills and single-track trails absolutely covered with rocks, roots, leaves, trees, and one baby deer!

Last updated: 2008-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
04:29:30 | 26.2 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 32/250
Performance: Good
Course: Some who looked into this informed me that this trail marathon was once listed as the 7th most difficult marathon in North America. About 25 miles of which was on single-track trails covered with roots, rocks, leaves, hills, creeks, etc... Quite challenging from a technical perspective, and certainly not fast!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 6:37 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Subject: Nipmuck Trail Marathon

2008-06-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1437522

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Nipmuck Trail Marathon
Jay - Well excellent job considering only one long 2 hour run prior to this race. That is impressive. It was hot out there so great job being sensible with the fluid and pacing. When I grow up I want to be able to run like you!
2008-06-02 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Wow! This sounds like quite a course and you handled it very well with good strategy. You'd think they could manage to have a real finish line so you'd know when you were done!
2008-06-05 5:36 PM

User image

Master
CT
Great job Jay! I like that you had a plan and stuck with it. It sounds like a fun race! Hmmm… maybe next year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nipmuck Trail Marathon Rss Feed