Lake Mills Triathlon
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 45s
Overall Rank = 120/648
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Pre-race routine:

"Woke-up" at 3:45 am. I don't think I ever really fell asleep. Kids had a terrible night so Joe Runner got up when I did. Ate a bagel w/PB and banana pudding. Had a cup of coffee & bottle of water on the drive to Lake Mills. Arrived at 5:30 and had no problem parking. I kept thinking I forgot something but could never figure out what it was. Talke w/other CLydes. Coulnt' find any Donkeys prerace - since I never have met any of them before I was looking for donkey jerseys - hard to find when eveyone is wearing sweatshirts in the cool morning.
Event warmup:

Does going to the bathroom 3 times count as Warm Up. Wiggled into wetsuit. Swam a 150 - 200 yds. This is my first swim with a wetsuit. Tried to get used to the movement, breathing etc. Found out within 5 seconds - wetsuits ROCK. Did nothing else. Didn't start to wave 9.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off on far right side and made a straight line (doing freestlyle)to first bouy. I can't believe I hit it straight. Then I forgot to turn to hit the second bouy and swam a little farther out than I needed to. 50 yds past the first bouy some freak grabs my ankle and won't let go. I gave him a quick kick and he disappeared- weird. Hit second bouy on good. Getting close to the shore I start to walk and pull off top of wetsuit and realize there are rocks on the bottom - so I have to tip toe around these and hope I don't twist an ankle. Started a little faster than I wanted to and never really settled in.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first race I did all freestyle. Yes last year I was breast stroker - but I trained hard over the winter and changed my ways.
Work on pace - especially for next weeks Oly which will be my longest OWS.
Kick - with the wetsuit on I think I forgot to kick (escept that dude that grabbed me) and did the entire swim with my arms.
In a sprint day you can breathe every 2 stokes if you want dummy. I was breathing every 3 like I train. DUH! Oxygen is good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I run across the timing matt into T1 and some tall guy with a Donkey flag is trying to direct me to the wrong row. I didn't know it was firsttimetri until after my wife (Joe Runner) introduced us after the race. I had a sweet Transition spot - last rack on the right before an empty parking lot - best spot I have had so far. No congestion and it was on the short side. I haven't trained for my transitions and didn't care much about them today. My plan was to just get through it. It is something I definitely need to practice - especially for the sprints.

Had to sit down to put socks and shoes on because I felt lightheaded when I bent over. This didn't last long and I was on my way.

Practice/practice/practice transitions.
No socks - I get blisters on my feet on the runs so I might not ever do this.
Shoes on bike?
Suggestions welcome.
Bike
  • 43m 38s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started great. Mount bike and start pedalling. 50 yds past transition I notice my bike computer is on the wrong screen so I go to change it and the *#%@? thing decides it is a bird and takes flight across the road. Now I have a split second decision to make: (1) stop in a busy area with bikes coming and going and try to find the thing w/out getting taken out by a bike or (2)keep going because it is a race and you want to do well who cares look for it later its only money and maybe somebody will find it and turn it in (yeah right). I chose door number 2. Any Guesses who needs to buy a new bike computer?

Having not done this course before my plan was to have a good ride but I wanted to have enough left for a good run. Last year I was a masher and would push my mighty Schwinn as hard as I could and hope I had gas in the tank for the run. Over the fall/winter I worked on cadence and using my gears and spinning while maintaing the same speed. I never got out of the small chain ring. Rode the hills well and recovered going down. Stayed in aerobars the whole way except to drink. Overall a good ride - I could have pushed it a little harder though.

Made it a point to drink a whole bottle of gatorade as I have done in training. I am not very coordinated at this however.

Came flying past the whole corner and who do I see - Joe Runner and the 3 minnie me's. She managed to get them out of bed and to the race!!!!

Learn to drink out of a regular water without having to slow down because I have no balance.
or Take the time to mount my aerobottle so I can skip above.
Keep putting miles on to build the engine - then start riding in large chain ring.
Not lose my stupid bike computer.

Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Racking bike was easy because of the open area behind me and I had plenty of room. Otherwise I just went thru the motions.

Like I said in T1 didn't care too much about transitions today. If I did I would have practice some before today. I have only had all winter to practice. Overall I was satisfied with transition

Learn to take feet out of shoes on bike and ride to dismount with feet on top of shoes. Learn to hop off bike and start running with it.

Take the time to put in my speedlaces so I don't dilly dally with shoe strings.
Run
  • 21m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to have a good run today but started off a little ugly. Left tansition and grabbed a cup of water at the first water station - again I got to learn to drink on the run - half the water went in my mouth - half in my eyes - the other half up my nose - get the picture - not pretty. After I get my sense back, I concentrated on a quick cadence and fast feet. My plan was to run the second half faster than the first. There were quite a few people on the path when I got on it and I had to wave in and out of some people. Cleared up after the turn around. Didn't drink anything. Picked it up at the turn around and again at the two mile mark. Still had plenty left for the last dash down the road to the finish line - and guess who is there again - JR and the minnine me's.

Nothing. I was very satisfied with the run. This is my best run time in a tri yet by almost 1:30 min.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank two bottles of water. Gave the JR and the kids a nice sweaty hug. It is always cool to have your family there.

Terri (joe Runner) and I made it a point to introduce ourselves to the donkeys. I am know to the donkeys right now as Joe Runner's husband (aka Clint) Got to meet some great peeps like djdavey, firstimetri, maggyruth, sgoehner, deannaS, and a bunch more of the donkeys - soory I can't remember all your names.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics.

I think I did as well as I could have today. This was the first race I actually had a plan and raced to the plan. Overall, I was very pleased.

I found out I finished third in the clydes.

Event comments:

Great day, great people, great race. What a way to start the season.

This was my last race. As a clydesdale. At the rate that I am training and losing weight I will have to be an AGer for the duration. Oh well-DTFU.

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 440 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 0/648
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:38 | 15 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/31
Wind: None
Course: Gently rolling course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ???
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:44 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/31
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2008-06-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1437554

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
Nice race yesterday Clint and great meeting you and the fam.
2008-06-02 9:01 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome race great job!! 

2008-06-02 9:04 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Well, hello, Clint!  My name is 1stTimeTri, aka Phil.  Now we are more formally introduced!

I was directing people TO the transition area generally and not to a specific location, and trying to keep the idiots from passing in front of you guys, so, wasn't trying to mislead ya, doot.

Congrats on the race!

2008-06-02 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Great to meet you and the fam, those kids are cute!!!  EEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWesome job collecting the DONKEY HARDWARE!!!!!!
2008-06-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1437868

User image

Veteran

Thanks.  You were doing a great job directing.  If I would have been more focused I should have given you an big EEEEAAAAWWW shout out on the way in.  I wrote iit that way in may race report for eveyone else's amusement.

2008-06-02 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dude, smokin' race. If that's how you race as a Clyde, you're going to be SCARY fast as you drop weight! Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.
2008-06-02 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Awesome race. Welcome to the AG division. Looks like you'll be competitive even there. Go speed racer. Go! Go!
2008-06-02 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Wow, you're fast man!  Especially with your swim off of doing brest stroking last year!  That's a great accomplishment!  Good job!  Now lost that extra weight and get outa my division so I can move up a spot since I have about a 50 lb buffer to deal with! Cool
2008-06-02 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Sweet effort, and killer swim!  I think we met yesterday, can't be sure.  Donkey planet is getting huge.  Keep on working hard...whatever you're doing is working!
2008-06-02 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome race! All three splits look great. You also met Jmwebs. He was the real cool guy in the Donkey jersey.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed