General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquafina Butte to Butte Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-02 7:37 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Subject: Aquafina Butte to Butte
Anyone done this more than once?  I've heard that it's a bear on the first part so I'm looking for some tips.

2008-06-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1437628

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Aquafina Butte to Butte
It's a bear, alright. Practice both uphill running AND downhill running (perhaps trail running would be best, to minimize impact of hill training) prior to the race. You can take it easy on the uphill with smaller strides (some people walk the very last steepest portion), but the downhill has bitten me twice because it ruined my untrained quads for the rest of the race.

If you are ready for the 1-mile uphill and 1.5-mile downhill portions, the rest of the race is flat flat flat and you will cut through the unprepared runners like a warm knife through butter.

If you're slower than a 9 minute per mile pace, you might have a little more issues with crowds because the walkers merge onto the course at the 2 mile point or so (but they start later than the runners).

Oh -- almost forgot. It is totally annoying how many people ignore the posted pace signs and simply line up as close to the front as possible. (I wish this race were chip timed!) Don't be surprised if you have to pass what seems like all of Oregon in the first mile. The hill separates out the pace groups rather rapidly, however.
2008-06-18 4:07 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon

So I've heard on all accounts.  I was just talking to someone about the backside 2nd mile this morning and realized that I haven't been training for that at all.  At least there's 2 weeks in between my next race and the butte to butte.  that should give me enough time to train for it.

And as far as being prepped... I'm kinda surprised people WOULDN'T do their homework and ask questions, though, as I've gotten older, things cease to amaze.  >shrug<

It's not chipped?  OMGZ!  Then how do they have standing records for the racers?

2008-06-21 6:27 PM

User image

Eugene, Oregon

I found out this morning that the butte to butte WILL be chipped and there's supposed to be 10,000 people participating this year.  Bring your runnin shoes, and lets do some sweating!

~Evo 

2008-06-27 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
If you take the shuttle from 5th street get there early. I was on a shuttle when they started the race without me last year.
2008-06-27 7:50 PM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
WOW! That's lame of them! You'ld figure they would have the shuttles more organized than that, but meh.  The people that are doing the butte run also did the Datalogic run from last weekend... I think it'll be a good, well organized, event.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquafina Butte to Butte Rss Feed