Ridgefield, Connecticut, Connecticut
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 21s
Overall Rank = 257/331
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the ungodly hour of 4am to eat breakfast (cereal, milk, coffee), and got dressed, loaded up the car. We were on the road a bit after 4:45. Once there, I did all the things I'm supposed to - packet pickup, body marking, etc, and got nervous. I had stuck my toe in the water and it didn't feel cold at all (well, only a little, but tooootally bearable), so i decided to just wear the bibjohn part of the wetsuit, not the top, which i don't like much anyway, it confuses my body.
Event warmup:

I didn't really do much, I took a quick dip in the water, only 20 yds or so, but felt fantastic doing it, the bibjohn was a good call.
Swim
  • 17m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a half mile swim, and looking at it across the lake, it seemed sooooo far. But I know I can swim the distance, so it was just a matter of doing it. The course was basically cut into 3rds. The first part of the swim sucked. Bodies, bodies, bodies. Within 3 minutes I got completely smacked in the head just as I was coming up for a bite of air and came up with a good swallow of water instead. It totally disrupted my breathing and I had to tread water for about 2 seconds before continuing. Up to that point, my stroke rate had been pretty high, but I decided to just stop that and go nice and easy, breathe nice and easy. My main goal was to keep my HR low.

After rounding the 1st buoy, it got better. I occasionally found feet to follow, and all was well, and I got into a good rhythm.

After the final buoy, I was getting pretty bad at sighting - it disrupts my breathing and it was getting a bit hard to do well - so I told myself, just go for shore. Unfortunately, shore is kinda big and i veered off course. I had found that without the help of the black T on the bottom of the pool, I was often veering left. I ended up maybe 15 feet to the left of where I needed to be, totally lengthening my course. I only noticed because I saw a kayak right by me, and I was like, "i'm not struggling, I'm swimming steadily and easily" - but then I stopped for a moment to really look and I was off in teh boonies. So I made a sharp turn, and was mad, so I swum hard for shore.

In the end though, this might be one of my best swims because of the rhythm I did manage to get into. Plus, when I got out, I felt fine.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better instead of just deciding to go for shore.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

This includes a fairly long run to TA. My rank was pretty darn low though. I had trouble getting the suit off, it probably took me 45s to do. Then, I sat down and squirted my feet with water, toweled them off, and got my socks and shoes on. Took a drink, and put on my helmet, and then I went. I suppose there are a lot of ways I could save time here, but I'm not sure I care at the moment.

Eh...maybe practice getting the wetsuit off better.
Bike
  • 47m 32s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 15.78 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was an exercise in calming down. I was so....not excited "ooh i'm racing" excited, but more like, "HR crazy and I'm mentally all over the place" excited. Within 3 minutes, I was going up a hill and I was huffing and puffing, not because it was a hard hill, but I was still needing to calm down from all the excitement, so I decided to shift to my small chain ring - and my chain FELL OFF!!!! GAR!!!!! I tried to shift it back up, but I was already slowing down a lot and was going to fall over so I just quickly clipped out, went to the side, and got it back on. But it took me too long - maybe 1 minute (?!!??). Then I got going again. A while later, on another little roller, I tried again - and chain fell off AGAIN!!! This is strange, I definitely had no problems shifting into small ring the last several times I biked - I guess I should have checked it before the race, but I didn't. Bad me. Anyway, this time I successfully shifted it back onto to the big ring and just kept going. I resolved I would just do the whole race in the big ring.

I spent the first 6 miles or so literally just calming down. Trying to slow my breathing from Z4 sounding breathing to Z2 sounding breathing. I just tried to get myself under control.

After that, I started to remember I was in a race, and that I should try to bike efficiently and effectively, and my technique became much better - circles of the feet, etc. Before I was just wildly biking and trying to be in control - and this was an exercise in further control - now, trying to bike RIGHT. The circles make such a difference in biking, everything gets better when I circle my feet.

At some point, I had to brake because there was a car. The police officer let them sneak in between a few riders, which I suppose is most fair for the motorist who doesn't want to wait for a bajillion riders, but it sucked for me because then he got stuck behind the rider in front of me, and was braking, so I had to brake, even though it was a fast section. Finally, when I noticed it was totally clear, I just passed on the wrong side of the road. Probably unsafe, but I could see no one was coming. Very annoying.

The last half of the race was pretty good, my climbing got much better, I did a bit of standing on several rollers, and I hit 36mph at one point on a downhill.

The layout of the race was kinda bad, and as I approached the end of the bike, first I had to brake because there were spectators sauntering in the road (thankfully, I only had to brake a teeny bit, otherwise I would have been very angry!), and I had NO direction as to what to do and there were no cones or anything to make it clear. I was yelling at the cops and volunteers as I approached, "HEY HEY WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO?" but they weren't paying any attention and there were so many people around they couldn't hear me. Finally I noticed someone in the distance waving me in, so I went to them. All in all, probably a 5 second loss. Not that it mattered, but still annoying.

The bike was supposed to be 14 miles long but I got it as only 12.5. Summary: First half bad, 2nd half good, drank 3/4 of my sports drink bottle, felt very full, and felt pretty good coming off the bike.

Try to calm myself faster and focus on circle feet from start to finish.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

This was ok. I for some reason was obsessed with the idea of hanging my helmet back on my bike, which doesn't make sense but I was. I also had a bit of trouble squeezing my bike onto the rack, ther was a bike there that I hadn't seen at all before the race. Thanks to the Yankz I got from Hayes, my shoes were on in a jiffy and off I went.

Mmmm....just move faster, I guess. Maybe throw my helmet down instead of being anal and obsessive for no reason.
Run
  • 31m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, did I feel like garbage when this started. My stride length was probably 6 inches long, and I was just doing the shuffle. Tom took a picture of me, bleh. He said later that I didn't look good, but I didn't look bad...well, I felt like I must have looked BAAAAAAAAD. I actually stopped to walk after 100 yards, thinking I needed to slow down my heart before going again, and get my legs back. But a spectator was like, "Come on, you can do it!" after a few steps of walking, so I smiled and got going again, doing the shuffle.

Around 13 minutes, I started to feel a teeny bit better, and I ran a little faster. But during this time, I was getting SCHOOLED by 40 year old women. I was probably passed by 6 people, and 5 of them were women in the 40-44 AG, and one of them was in her 30's. I felt so lame! But more power to them.

Finally, around 20 minutes, I realized I was feeling GOOD, just like a regular run, and that my stride and everything ahd improved significantly, so I picked it up and tried to run the last mile well. Which I think I did, I finished pretty strong, which I'm quite pleased about, that my body came back and I could do that, despite the complete lack of training in the last 2 weeks.

Maybe try to run harder, push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I felt fine, I just got some food, found Tom, and sat down and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think if this race had been 2 weeks ago, I might have been able to cut up to 5 minutes off my time, easily, just from being in better shape then. But I'm not regretting the lack of workouts because I think the presentation I had to prepare for was much much more important, but I'm still sad that the race turned out like this - I swear I can perform faster. I think easily, with my HR more under control, I could have picked it up on the bike and the run without a problem. Anyway, oh well.

Event comments:

I don't want to knock this race hard, because I think the RD is a good guy who has done a lot of work for it, and it is a nice little local race. But some things need work. The layout of this course, I felt was just horrible. It made for extremely disorganized finishes for both the bike and run portions, and people were constantly crowding the course and getting in the way. I heard the announcer say, "Come on people, there are racers here, GET OFF THE COURSE". But the layout was such that it really facilitated bad behavior. Too much going on in a tiny area. Then, the post race activities were also mashed in there, so just...I dunno. I didn't know where the food was (Tom had to tell me, as he had been a spectator and noticed), and just a few other layout issues.

The volunteers at the aid station and at the guiding points were great, except at the very end because I think there was too much chaos. As I mentioned above, I was approaching the bike finish and no one affiliated with the race had any idea I was coming to guide me where to go, I was basically just riding through a sea of people. Yikes.

But, like I said, for a local race this was close, nice, and the lake was better than a lot of lakes I've swum in, and the local spectators just hanging out outside their houses cheering were very nice. I'd still probably do this race again. This was only the 2nd time for this race, and I am sure it is improved over last year, and I think the RD is such that it will be even more improved for next year.

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:58 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 187/331
Performance: Average
Suit: Trisuit + Wetsuit bibjohn bottoms
Course: Triangular/Trapezoidal course. Very flat and easy water, kinda murky but noth bothersome.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:32 | 12.5 miles | 15.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 256/331
Performance: Below average
Didn't push button on my HRM. oops.
Wind: None
Course: Little rollers all the way through.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:28 | 03.1 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 304/331
Performance: Good
AHR 171 MHR 183
Course: Little rollers, nothing too bad. Wooded residential area, mostly. Spectators with this children sitting outside their houses were nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: Tri Ridgefield

2008-06-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1437746

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Tri Ridgefield
Great effort out there! I would have freaked out bigtime with little distractions you were dealing with! Glad the yantz saved a few seconds!
2008-06-02 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states

Way to go Lisa!  Great job and great race report.  Just think how well you did even when you couldn't focus on the race the last few weeks because of your presentation.  That bodes well for next time.  Congrats!

2008-06-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1438257

User image

Sensei
Sin City
What an enjoyable report!  Sorry for some of your small issues, but looks like you previaled!  Wonderful job!
2008-06-02 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Hey nice race Lisa.  I had chain drop issue last year.  You might need to have your bike tune up and probably replace the chain - it might have been streched out after much riding.  How many miles on the chain?

Also, you need to shift early whengoing to a smaller gear for an uphill.  You are putting a lot of pressure (downward force) on the gear when going hard and at the same time you are trying to shift, the deraileur will push the chain sideways with a larger force to compensate and might end up shooting the chain too far, thus dropping it.  I had the same issue last year at Mooseman.  LBS guy explained that to me afterward.

2008-06-02 1:54 PM

Expert

Excellent race there...

they try to do a good job.. last year was better because the end was in the center of town keeping everyone away from the trans area which down there is super small..

I'll see you there next year...

2008-06-02 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
hey great race! i love rollers on the bike (though not chain falling off). way to get the chain back on there the second time. hope you had a lot of fun and are looking forward to the next one. i agree, chalk it up to an easy-to-beat next time when you don't have an important presentation right before the race!
2008-06-02 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Lisa - AWESOME RACE !!!!! I think your times looked really good, especially when you take into consideration, swimming off course, chain falling off and some walking on the run, as well as some disorganizaiton in some areas of the course. Sounds like most of the issues you had were more technical than physical. YOU ROCKED IT !! Great job handling the chain issues on the bike.

Congrats TRIATHLETE !!!

2008-06-02 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Lisa, great job out there. Sounds like you got through a few things to have a really solid race. Congrats!
2008-06-02 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Great race, especially with everything else going on. You'll come up with ways to improve for the next race
2008-06-03 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Great job Lisa!!!  Sorry about the course issues and your chain falling off twice? That is unfortunate, but you did an awesome job with keeping hard at it even with those difficulties... you are tough!

2008-06-03 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice job and way to stay calm and push through the issues that you had out there!! 

Congrats on a great race

2008-06-03 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
Great job down there. Way to go.
2008-06-04 11:13 AM

Veteran
Way to battle through. We should all get a prize for being able to navigate the bike-to-run and run finish mosh pit! LOL
2008-06-04 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Nice job girlie!!!!   I had my chain fall off during my very first triathlon ever.  It sucked when I got the stupid thing back on 'cause I had to ride in the big chain ring for the rest of the race!  Good for you for not letting it get you down.  Congratulations!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Ridgefield Rss Feed