View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lansing, Michigan
United States
Total Time = 1h 06m 23s
Overall Rank = 68/500
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, ate some grapenuts, loaded the car, drove to lansing. Got to the race, wound up parking next to sushi. Chatted with her walked over to transition and set up.
Event warmup:

Jogged from the bathroom to the Transition area. was kinda unprepared, got into the wetsuit but had no time to get in the water and warmed up. I did run into Trixie on the way over to the swim start and thru her wound up meeting several other BTer's.
Swim
  • 08m 22s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was horrible for me. you could probably walk 50yards before actually having to swim. I did the group start, not the time trial as i need the practice. Appears that i needed to start closer to the front. I got stuck behind a breast stroker and everytime i went around her i caught another one. By the mid course bouy I was plain stuck and since my swimming sucks i just breastroked for a while. then the dang goggles fogged so bad that I could see so I wound up having to breaststoke the entire 2nd half.
What would you do differently?:

I was breathing every stroke and very relaxed except that I wasn't swimming straight. I was pulling to the left very hard, so I had to sight quite a bit when I could crawl. Oh well more pool time and OWS time it appears.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

There was a really long run from the beach to T1. It went pretty good. I didn't have too many issues. I started with the shoes off the bike and got going really well.

Shoes on bike.
Bike
  • 30m 28s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 19.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went pretty good. I didn't get to pee before I swam so I was struggling on the bike. I hate having to pee while biking. I tried to just let it go but no can do. Passed quite a few people although my pace wasn't quite what i was hoping for. I was hoping for an avg of 21.

On a side note there were lots of people that really didn't know the rules of the road on the bike. Lots of people riding on the yellow line. Lots riding 2 abreast. but I understand there were lots of beginners.

I took the entire week prior to the race off. with midterms and work i didn't get the workouts in i was hoping for. the legs felt a little stiff and just wouldn't go.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Transition area was 2 racks that were very long. I was racked somewhere in the middle. for some reason the section of rack that I was on seemed very overcrowded. one dude had just thrown his bike down in the middle of the aisle and took off. My dad was also in just getting in and getting his shoes changed, which is very cool b/c he and I usually never see eachother on the course.

nothing
Run
  • 25m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was good, got passed by 2 women. I was really worried about getting passed by more, but this was my 5K PR (Stand alone or during a tri) so I am pretty geeked. Running a 25 min 5k has been a goal for some time. woo hoo.

Ran by Trixi's protoge (I was worried she was gonna catch me), saw sushigirl.....great job ladies.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around. Talked to the other BTer's at the white tent. Ate some yucky pizza.

By the way, Trixie, your swelling in your leg....gross!!! Thanks for cheering us on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim...run fitness. Need to work on both.

Event comments:

Couple things about this race. This is my first time running it, I usually do Seahorse. Anyway, there were lots of beginners, which is great, but I think that they could have done a better job of explaining transitions and keeping to the right on the bike. It was really frustrating to see people riding on the yellow line, not passing anybody, just hanging out there. All in all, good race, good support and great for a beginner. Much closer to home than KZoo...

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:22 | 437 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/36
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:28 | 9.94 miles | 19.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/36
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/36
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: Hawk Island Triathlon

2008-06-03 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1437878

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon
Great job and congrats on the 5k PR, as part of a tri none the less

Edited by kellc09 2008-06-03 1:32 PM
2008-06-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1437878

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon

Awesome race, Shortyy!  I agree that transition are was huge and a bit ...much.  I can't believe you had such a rough swim and still manage to kick so much a$$, nice JOB!  It was very cool to see your dad out there with you too, I hope my mom and I will get to race together this summer.

(I want to ride like Shortyy when I grow up!).   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawk Island Triathlon Rss Feed