Lake Mills Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 52s
Overall Rank = 132/648
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/65
Pre-race routine:

We've had a cold spring, so water temperature was a grave concern. By "grave", I mean...I hope I'm not in one before this day is over. ;) OK, that's a little dark, I apologize. To be honest, we were boating the day prior to the race, and I got in the water a bit. It was terrible. Bone chilling. Had me all worked up in a frenzy about the water temperatures for this race. That was my mental make-up leading up to the race.

Got to the race site "morey-early" which bacically means, if I'm not first, I'm late! Hey, you gotta lead in SOMETHING, right? I love being early for this kind of thing...gives me plenty of time to set up. I hit the port-a-john, and upon my exit, who's walking up as the number 2 participant to show up? Schmize. Gotta love that, we're 2 for 2 on BTers showing up early. Great to meet him, look over his bike bling, and talk about race strategy, etc.

I had some gatorade in the car and a banana, but honestly by gut was in knots over the swim. No mood to eat much. Peeing every 5-minutes, which told me I was hydrated, at least.
Event warmup:

Given I'm a student of the science of the sport of triathlon, and a stickler for detail, I stuck to my tried and true pre-race warmup. You are all wondering...what in the world would that be morey? OK, I'll share it with you just this once...blood level testing and advanced studies have indicated that "walking around nervous, flapping my jaw as other BTers and friends show up" brings home the hardware time after time.

OK, outside of that as we approached the race start, I debated getting in the water to get a feel for it, or just winging the deal as the race started. I did make the decision to go in and swim/stand around/get a feel for it ahead of time. Always the better choice. It was microscopically better than I thought it would be. Minimal comfort, but at that point anything helps.
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Alright, I don't work the swim very hard, I admit, so I take what I can get here. I used to be a 10-minute guy, but recent events have those times down in the 8's. That's all I was looking for. Started off, and felt solid and strong through the first bouy. Struggle to find feet in the frenzy. Sorta lost all feet I'd been tracking around the corner, and started to panic a tad that I'd been left behind. Had to come up and breast-stroke for maybe 5 or 6 strokes to calm, and see that I was in my normal position...which is "main" swimmers pulling away, but still plenty around me and not being dropped completely as was the case in the old days. Put my head down and swam as hard as I could until the end. Fairly confident throughout.
What would you do differently?:

If I'd have just kept stroking along and not worried so much about feet, I might not have panic'ed, and perhaps saved 15-seconds or so. Not waste so much mental energy worrying about water temp. Once underway, it wasn't an issue.

Work harder on the swim in general. But, I wanted 8's and got it, so overall fine with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Man, this was a tough transition. Got the wetsuit off "ok". Felt dizzy from cold water (I think). I'm a sock-guy, and have never really had an issue getting socks on. Wet or dirty feet have never been a problem either. I don't know why, but this time I couldn't get my socks on to save my life. Very wet, very dirty, and balling up all over the place. Finally said fock it and just shoved feet in bike shoes anyway. Had some trouble there with the straps and stuff, and again said fock it and just headed out of transition sorta discombobulated. Got on the bike and started hammering. Feet were wet and cold right away, socks still messed up, strap on left shoe off and loose...just not RIGHT. Tried to fix, then just ignored it and kept riding up the initial hill.

I gotta work on sockless at least on the bike. A practice OWS might have helped with the dizzyness, not sure there.
Bike
  • 42m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Going out on the bike, I was feeling "ok". Not a lot of bike training in the winter or spring, but early rides had been solid. So, I expected to approach my time from last year. Wanted to get to the turnaround in 20-minutes, and be around 40-minutes for the ride. Also, wanted to "try" not to kill myself and end up in T2 with a calf cramp like last year.

Well, what you want and what your training allows are 2 different things.

I was feeling alright, not great. Passing a lot of people, and rarely being passed. I was monitoring my speed though, and could tell I was not north of 22, which is what is required to make my goal. Well north of 20 though, so not a total loss. I'd advertised this course as flat and fast...well, this year anyway the minor rollers on the course were burning me up a tad. Not flying over the stuff with my normal gusto. And, trying to manage the course a slight bit as well in anticipation of the run. The bottom line is...I'm not thrilled but I got what my minimal traning rides would predict. No magic here today.

When I was hitting 39:00 and I knew I was too far out to finish with the time I wanted. Started funking a bit until a guy with a disk wheel from the wave behind me passed by. Had to hammer then and catch/re-pass him. We jockeyed back and forth to the finish, which increased the fun factor of the ride for me.

Go to the DTC like I should have all winter.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Came into T2 feeling alright, and ready to be done biking. Gotta work on taking shoes off on pedals and running in feet. Another thing rearing it's ugly head that never has been a problem before. Felt very slippery and had to really baby-step run my bike to my t-spot. Didn't feel very swift.

Get to my area, off with the bike shoes, and attempt to fix my socks. They're still all wet and hard to maneuver. FOCK. Again after a few efforts skip it and start putting on shoes. That also feels like it's taking EONS, so I do it as fast as I can, and just bail outta transition. In the blurr I can hear people yelling "HELMET, HELMET" and realize in the hubub I forgot to take my helmet off. What a total rookie mistake. Unclip that and have to run back to my spot. Start off a second time. Appears based on average T-times that mistake cost about 45-seconds.

Take off my helmet. Not wear socks on the bike. My feet would be hamburger if I ran sockless, but biking sockless should keep everything dry and clean, which would help a ton.
Run
  • 22m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright, finally head outta T2. Not a lot of bricks under my belt and my legs are feeling rough. The first bit is up this steep, sharp, short incline to get onto a dead-flat trail. That incline, as usual, had my HR through the roof.

Once out there I was pleasantly surprised that I'm feeling pretty solid. Not being passed. I'm used to GPS but the timex system is not condusive to racing with. So, all I've got is total race time clipping away. I can see that I've gotta have a pretty nice run to make it to 1:16. I wanted 1:15 or below, so a tad disappointed but not epic. Without pace data, I just decide to manage my RPE in the hard but not epic area. I feel like I'm moving pretty fast. Catching people and rarely being passed.

At the turnaround I'm labored but strong. Decide at a bridge which is 3/4 I'll assess my situation and see if I can speed up. When I get there, I'm sorta EH, so just kept "pressing" without over-doing it. At the final mile mark I can see I still need a solid finishing mile to make 1:16. Try to speed up a tad, but still conservative. Finish strong but no idea of my split. Passed quite a few people in the epic finishing sprint!

Also, out and back course allowed for lot's of donkey sightings. Each one gave me a little pick-me-up, so thank you. Schmize, sgoehner, and jszat were alarmingly close to each other, making me figure an epic battle was in store. Apparently schmize held them off. On the return I was becoming more focused, and just made random noises when I saw peeps. Called jmwebs joe instead of jim, and then corrected myself, which thankfully he heard.

Have some data. I worked the run and saw results. This is a solid 5K PR. I don't have a ton of 5K experience, so I don't want to overstate it. With data I might have pushed the pace more and broken 22:00. Emphasis on "might". I was a "tad" conservative, but certainly labored hard at the finish. Happy with this. Very happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, talked, and ate. Got some group donkey shots.

Event comments:

Year Swim T1 Bike T2 Run Total
2002 11:00 1:57 47:59 1:09 24:28 1:26:30
2003 11:09 2:10 44:25 1:09 23:28 1:22:18
2004 10:13 2:14 41:06 1:05 23:28 1:18:04
2005 10:52 2:45 44:01 1:02 23:56 1:22:35
2006 9:43 1:50 40:53 1:15 22:45 1:16:23
2007 8:54 1:39 40:31 2:02 23:04 1:16:07
2008 8:34 2:04 42:17 1:50 22:09 1:16:52

First of all, great job by all donkeys. I realized at this race that donkeys are bling happy (I'm guessing 80% of aero-helmets present were worn by donks) and serious, fast focking racers. Many faster than me take the sport much more seriously than I do. I've gotta ramp-up a tad in things like yanks, transition practice, biking in general, swim attitude, etc.

I am mixed on this race. It's interesting how I used to want 8-ish swim and 20-ish bike, and 7-ish run. I've got that but now everyone I know is 7-ish and 22+ on bike, and 6-ish on run. Just keeping up with you playahs is getting tough.

Take a look at my historical graph. It seems I just need to put the bike, run, and swim together to squeeze more outta the turnip. Also, the free speed of transitions. I "would be" (I hate that talk, but there, I said it) 1:15-ish if I don't mess up my helmet and gain a few seconds somewhere else, easily. I'm cool with this.

Great to see/meet all donks as well!

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 440 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/648
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Hydrojohn
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:17 | 15 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:22:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2008-06-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1438291

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
Great race report Morey! Awesome job out there!! Great to see ya again!
2008-06-02 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dude, great race and, as always, an entertaining RR. I'd say you squeezed plenty out of that turnip-- us old guys just can't keep up with all these fast upstart kids with "IT" these days.
Great yakking at you, too, man!
2008-06-02 11:50 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

EEEAAAWWW, MOREY!!

A very solid swim and bike for you!  Too bad about the helmet, though.

Great day all around and always cool to see you and the other Donks!

2008-06-02 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
2008-06-02 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
nice historical chart there!!!  downward trend if plotted that is certain, gotta love that!!  great job out there DESPITE THE URGE TO RUN IN A HELMET............we dont always have to follow jszats lead, do we???  great job donkey, way to represent!!!

2008-06-02 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Great race donkey!  You're a lot closer to those uber fast donks that I am or will ever be and to turn in those numbers having just recently put your biking together with not a whole lot of swim I think is very impressive!  Like you said, if helmet flies off your head when it is supposed to, you're probably right where you want to be!

It was fun to have finally done a race together - great job!

2008-06-02 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Very impressive effort. Who would have thought that two Donks (charter members no less) would head out of T-2 two with helmets on. I think this winter the Donkey nation might be well served by creating the Donkey Transition Center. Great to see you again.
2008-06-02 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race and very well written report.  You have a great way of hitting all the details and also making sense of everything that went on.

I like the downward trend, too.  Definitely no need for socks on the bike.  Run is a different story.  But if you go sockless on the bike, and clip in those shoes, the feet will be dry (er) by T2 for sure. 

Awesome to see you out there.  I would have won some money knowing you would be the first person there.  Pretty funny waiting for the volunteers to put up the wave signs so we could rack our bikes in the appropriate positions.

Love that warm up routine, too!

2008-06-02 1:54 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
For those of us who are slower than 7 year itches even when training is at optimable capacity it appears that you had a great race.  Hats off Donk!
2008-06-03 11:13 AM

User image

Elite

Killer race report.  Stellar performance!

Your run speed is getting out of control.  And to murder the bike with a 21+ MPH/ave with "not a lot" of is impressive.

Way to represent!

2008-06-03 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Great RR morey and awesome meeting you this weekend.  Really enjoyed the race and chatting with you.  Definitely looking forward to seeing you at more races this year.
2008-06-04 8:07 AM

User image

Expert

Excellent RR and awesome job out there.  Now that you wore your helmet out of T2 we can tease you about it forever.

Great job on smokin' the run! 

2008-06-04 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I cannot believe that 2 of you stubborn donks wore your helmets out of T2. That is just too funny!

Congrats on an awesome race! Glad the water didn't freeze you to death.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed