General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 53m 29s
Overall Rank = 243/330
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Normal Pre-Race routine. Got up ate my Cheese Pizza for breakfast and took my vitamins and water for hydration. Made a check the night before to be sure I had everything, and laid everything out like I was going to do in the morning at transition.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and strides and light jog.
Swim
  • 45m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took the swim extremely slow and tried to focus on extension of the stroke and just keeping my breathing and movement slow and steady. It was one of my best swims.
What would you do differently?:

As far as the swim goes, I need to be more efficient as my swim if far from efficient. I tried to conserve as much energy as possible knowing the long day that lied ahead.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Moved from transition to the bike as normal, little faster then my last race but everything went good from preparing ahead that morning and visualizing how I would come through from swim to bike.

Transition went good not much changes here
Bike
  • 3h 06m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved the bike course it was as challenging as I was told, it seemed a bit more challenging then I expected. It was a wonderful 1 loop course in and around Bibb county. There was a lot of wind that seemed to be head on most of the ride. The hills were not steep but they were many and by the end of the leg, I felt my legs were stressed from the course.

I would certainly train in the hills of Clermont much more then I did. The terrain in clermont would have given me the mental and physical edge I feel I needed to complete this course. Since most of my training for this race occurred on the flats and not the hills I felt I was inadequately prepared for this tough of a course.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

took a little longer then normal to let my legs adjust getting off the bike.

I would not take so long in getting my socks and shoes on . . oh yeah and once again I forgot to buy Yankz for my long distance shoes . . one of these races I will remember to buy them!

Run
  • 2h 55m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time on the run most likely due to the fact that the hilly ride and lack of time spent on the hills had a huge impact when It came to the run. I also had a hard time staying cool, and did not get into any kind of running rhythm until mile 5. Even them, when I had the wind at my back, I could not keep cool, however when into the wind / breeze, heart rate dropped like 10bp/s and I was able to establish a good run rhythm, until I would be hot again. It was not one of my best runs but was better then my last 1/2IM i believe.

I need to train in the heat more around the times that I will be racing. I train in the morning or late evening. In the future when I train on weekends, I will try to plan my runs in and round the times I can expect to run on race days, Hopefully that will get my body aclimated to the rigors of the heat on actual race day.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my chair under the tree, a bottle of Gatorade and some water and the after race meal!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think had I trained more in sync with the terrain I would have performed better. I do not think it was a bad race by any means, I just do not feel I prepared well enough to go fast on this course, just complete the distance. The n ext race in November I am going to create the plan to race for speed, now that I know I can cover the distance. Also, I was doing that 90 cycle for gaining speed on the bike, that was short hard workout sessions that limited my ability to do the longer endurance sessions that I needed to do to be better at this distancce. Although it increased my cycling speed for crits and road races . . .it hindered my performance at this distance. The next training cycle I will adapt it into my preparation for the longer distances instead of only doing the short cycles.

Event comments:

Awesome race, well ran and well stocked. I plan on coming back to redeem my time next year!

Last updated: 2008-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:12 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 246/330
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: The swim was clockwise which I liked since I was able to sight while breathing on my right side. It was a single loop in one of the cleanest lakes I have ever swam in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:53 | 56 miles | 17.98 mile/hr
Overall: 209/330
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Aside from the hilly profile there was a headwind it seemed around every turn that there was no escaping. Do not recall any tailwind at any point on the course. Bike Course had 3 water stations which was nice, because I had prepared my hydration on that fact since it was stated in the race information. I picked up at 2 of the 3 stations.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:55:25 | 13.1 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 255/330
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was a an out and back with 3 turnarounds that equaled the 13.1 miles. It was a great run course, hilly but not too bad if trained properly. The aid stations were at about every mile, and only once did I get to a station that they said they were awaiting something. Everything was stocked nice, except they said they would have accelerade, but only had heed.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2008-06-03 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1438460

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon
Great job!  Way to stick it out with the heat. 
2008-06-04 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
congrats ironman/2!
2008-06-06 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Excellent and honest race report. Great job out there. That's a tough course.
2008-06-09 12:52 AM

User image

Austell, GA
Nice job in dealing woth the heat.  I agree it was a very hot day but you did an awesome job.  Hopefully, I'll see you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed