El Reno, Oklahoma
United States
Tri OK
Total Time = 2h 56m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't really have a pre-race routine. Had about a 50 minute drive from Edmund where I stayed with a buddy of mine. He was suppose to do the race but has a running injury. The best part was stopping at McDonald's where I was able to take advantage of their facilities and therefore did not need the port-o-potties at the race site. After getting to the site, didn't have much time so got checked in, and got everything out ready for setting up transition.
Event warmup:

Didn't really have an event warm-up. Watched a lot of others warm-up and thought, maybe I need to do something but then thought I better save all the energy I can.

Fortunately it was very nice weather as opposed to the heat from the previous day.
Swim
  • 33h 25m
  • 1640 yards
  • 2h 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got in the water with about 2 minutes before the gun. Waded out to waist deep so I was definately in the back of the pack. Once the gun went off, there really wasn't too much bumping as everyone was fairly spread out. Got way off course after the first turn. I was so close to shoreline that I wondered what the penalty would be if I got out and walked down the shore and got back in. Got my rhythm on the back side and kept a good line. Felt really good about the finish right up until I tried to stand up out of the water and got a cramp in my left hamstring. Felt pretty foolish trying to walk by everyone.
What would you do differently?:

Definately need to warm up and definately need to practice sighting in open water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Didn't wear a wetsuit so all I had to do was put on shoes and helmet and go. Fortunately it was only a very short distance to the transition area.

I guess I could work on having the shoes attached to the bike but I don't know that it would make all that much difference in the long run.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to count how many passed me. I think it was somewhere between 10-15 and I maybe passed 4-5. I felt much better than I expected and tried to keep a good pace but the hills took their toll. I tried to keep someone in front of me and if they left me, I just waited on someone else. Apparently I was 1 of 4 people who got a 2:00 penalty. I certainly did not know that I got a penalty until I saw the results and certainly do not know what I did to get one. If I got a draft off someone, I wish they would have told me so I could have at least known of the benefit for the penalty.

I just need to keep riding and get my legs stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Just had to sit and put on socks and tie the shoes and put on my race number.

I don't know that I could have done much differently. I just could not move any faster.
Run
  • 59m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

First half of the first loop was miserable. Could not get the legs to work very well. Second half and first half of second loop were much better and only had to stop once. Last half was miserable again as I just could'nt get the legs to move. I wanted to finish under 3:00 so I just pushed it as hard as I could.

Nothing that more training won't cure, at least I hope.
Post race
Warm down:

Was just glad to get through it. Didn't really have much of a warm down other than packing up. With a 5 hour drive ahead, I didn't waste much time hanging around.

Event comments:

Great venue for my first Olympic distance race. Weather turned out to be perfect, a little overcast and mid-70's temps made it an enjoyable event.

Met all three of my goals:
1. Finish
2. Not finish last
3. Under 3:00

Last updated: 2008-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
33:25:00 | 1640 yards | 2h 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise two turn course in a right-triangle kind of way.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:24 | 24.85 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back with some pretty steady hills in the middle section of the course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:21 | 06.21 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops of an out and back course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
Subject: Route 66 Triathlon Olympic

2008-06-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1438763

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Route 66 Triathlon Olympic
great job with the race!!!  under 3 hours, that's what i hope to do in july but i'm not sure i can.  but you did it!!!  awesome job
2008-06-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1438763

User image

Subject: RE: Route 66 Triathlon Olympic
Awesome job! Sub 3 hrs in solid and your splits look great across the board. Keep it up and you'll do great this summer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed