General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning (revisited)..and a shout out to my wife.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-02 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Spinning (revisited)..and a shout out to my wife....
I have read the posts on previous threads re: spinning. Some say helpful, some say not much if any help...Well, after Saturday, I have to vote for spinning being helpful.

My wife did the aquabike portion of the Macon Ga. Rock and Roll Triathlon...1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike..no run. She rides one day a week on the bike and her only other bike training is 3 days a week at the Y doing spin. She does a back-to-back class once a week. She had some concerns that she would really struggle on the hills because the only thing around here that is a hill is also called a bridge....cut to then end....she finished an hour ahead of what she thought she would...Many people doing the HIM that she started the swim with, were finishing behind her. My 2cents...the spin classes were a huge part of her finishing...I don't see how it can be argued they are not beneficial....Way to go Steph!!!

2008-06-02 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1439176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
Subject: RE: Spinning (revisited)..and a shout out to my wife....
Great job.
I also use spinning classes for training durning the winter months, but nothing can replace real road work. Different muscle groups are being used while riding on the road, the bike is not fixed to the ground and balance plays alot bigger roll on the muscles being used.
2008-06-02 4:36 PM

Horse.

Stick.

Commence Beating...

Congrats to your wife, though, OP!

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-06-02 4:36 PM
2008-06-02 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1439714

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

If it is her only resource, then of course it is going to help her on the bike!  But that is not the argument against spinning.  The argument is that the same amount of time on a trainer or outside on the bike getting actual saddle time is better.

Cycling outside > trainer > spinning > lifecycle type things

Edit: And congrats to her on her success!

Edited by Daremo 2008-06-02 4:43 PM
2008-06-02 6:00 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I teach Spinning classes and am so happy that your wife was able to use them as a training tool. Yes...a training tool. Among spin instructors there is a constant argument on whether we should do things that you would or would not do out on the road. It all comes down to this...we aren't outside and therefore it isn't the same thing...BUT, it is a great for cardiovascular training - you can train for endurance, intervals and strength (climbing) while being low impact and easy on the joints. It isn't replacing bike training on the road, but compliments it beautifully :-)! Plus there is no traffic, no weather problems and you never have to worry about crashing :-)! I know this subject has been covered extensively, but just had to give my 2 cents worth.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning (revisited)..and a shout out to my wife.... Rss Feed