3Sports Endure
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 22s
Overall Rank = 91/189 M
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/31
Pre-race routine:

First, a big shout-out to Conte's Bicycles in Richmond for fixing a broken spoke on my wife's (Noony) bike at 5:30 Saturday evening just before closing at 6:00 when no other bike shops were willing/able to do so. You're an American Hero, bike shop repair guy.

Woke up at 5:00 Sunday a.m., ate a piece of blueberry crumb cake and half a piece of banana bread from Starbucks. Drove over to CVS to buy some tape for the bike race number b/c the one they provided was just plain paper w/o the sticker backing to keep it in place. Taped the number in place, drove over to the Shady Grove YMCA. Set up transition, pick up chip, bodymarking, yadda yadda.
Event warmup:

Third time doing this course, so I know what to expect.

No warm-up b/c it's a pool swim, and I wouldn't be starting until close to 50 minutes after transition area was closed. Stood around, watched other people do their swim, surprised when my family made it in time to see me start.
Swim
  • 06m 32s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Based on last year's race, I gave my estimated time as 5:50 when I registered a few months ago. But I didn't have last year's training, so I was worried about getting swam over and passed. Started out fast for the first two or three laps, saw that I wasn't in any danger of getting passed, and then I slowed down for the last couple of laps.
Slower than last year, but still faster than two years ago.

2006: 6:43
2007: 5:52
2008: 6:32

What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool leading up to the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

A nice little run from the back of the YMCA to the parking lot on the side. No problem locating my rack or getting socks and shoes on.

14th in age group, 72 overall male.

Move a little bit quicker.

2006: 2:47
2007: 1:50
2008: 2:10
Bike
  • 38m 26s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Given the pool start, you see fewer people than you usually would on the bike. And because I seeded myself higher with the swim time, there were fewer people to pass on the bike than the last two years. And I think that gave me a little bit less of a sense of urgency on certain parts of the course. Only got passed by one person, so that was good.

Not having trained as much as I could have, and not having done any bricks this season, I didn't want to/wasn't able to push it on the bike. That's all reflected in my time which was only 2 seconds faster than 2 years ago when I was riding my mountain bike w/ slick tires. But on the upside, I felt good and didn't have any mechanical issues.

2006: 38:28
2007: 35:00
2008: 38:26

Ride more. Push harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

14th in age group, 66 overall male.

2006: 1:18
2007: :48
2008: :54

nothing.
Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This was actually a pretty good run considering my training runs lately haven't felt very good, and my run volume hasn't been what it could have. Only got passed by a couple of people, passed more than passed me. Kept the same pace for the entire run and gave a bit of a burst the last 100 yards or so to pass two more people. Turned down the finish chute, pulled down my tri top to fully cover my belly, held up my arms, gave the fists of rock, and crossed the finish line with a smile on my face.

2006: 25:29
2007: 23:05
2008: 25:21

Run more in training. Otherwise, I was fine with this performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my sister, niece, and my mom, got some cookies, lemonade, water, coke, a muffin, and a slice of pizza. Watched my niece jump around in the moonbounce while waiting to see my wife come in from the bike and head out on the run. Then waited to see her come back in from the run and had an ice-cold Squeezee which was dee-licious.
Met enders_shadow who had seen Noony's BT tattoo while out on the bike course. Nice to see another BT person.
Packed up our stuff and headed over to Starbucks for a post-race ice coffee before driving back up to Rockville.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training. 15 extra pounds since last summer. And not enough training.

Event comments:

This was my third time doing this course, the other two times at the 3Sports Triathlon which is put on by Set Up Events. The organization was pretty good for the most part, but we had to wait until Sunday morning to get our swim start time, whereas the other times we've gotten that the day before. And the aforementioned bike race number wasn't as good--Noony's disintegrated on the course, and I saw a few others on the course that had come off other bikes. And there seemed to be fewer post-race snacks than usual--hardly anything at all when Noony finished, though some more pizza showed up after a bit.
But our niece loved the moonbounce, so they get points for that. And the race t-shirt (the only reason I do these things anyway) has a cool design and is very soft.

Overall, this is a fun course to do, and a good one to start the season. Now I just need to sign up for some other races and get on a regular training schedule.

Last updated: 2008-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:32 | 300 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 109/189 M
Performance: Average
Suit: zoot tri suit, desoto tri top
Course: 6 laps, snake through the lanes, 15 seconds between swimmers
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:26 | 12.43 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 107/189 M
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Figure 8 shape. Mostly flat course, a couple of slight inclines.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:21 | 03.11 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/31
Overall: 97/189 M
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat out and back on the sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Subject: The HHHunt Power Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1439438

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: The HHHunt Power Sprint Triathlon
Nice meeting you too! Good race!

I'm glad Conte's saved the day for Noony. That would have been a bummer if she couldn't have raced.
2008-06-02 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1439438

New user

Richmond, Va
Subject: RE: The HHHunt Power Sprint Triathlon

Great racing everyone....and glad to hear noony was taken care of.  I have heard good things about the new management at Conte's.  My husband bought a bike from them recently.  Has anybody posted any pictures from the event? You are both right though, would like to have the swim start time posted the day before.  Hope to see you out there soon.

Take care,

Teresa Stadler

Commonwealth Sports Medicine

www.commonwealthsportsmedicine.com 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The HHHunt Power Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed