3 Disciplines
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 9s
Overall Rank = 52/132
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:20, coffee, 2 bowls of cereal, yogurt, double check gear and weather on Internet, load up and out the door at 4:30, gatorade, banana and apple on the way, arrival at 6:00, just when things open up, snag end spot on rack, go about setting things up in a relaxed way, checking water temp. and resting for a while on the grass, almost forgot socks!
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and got into the water to warm up a bit. Not much warm-up today.
Swim
  • 34m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best swim, or my worst, but not bad for only training one day a week. I got lucky and drafted of of someone for the long leg of the first lap. It was hard to see the bouys coming back in.
What would you do differently?:

When school gets out, I'll swim more than once a week, but it wasn't really possible this year. I would push a bit harder and maybe get some clear goggles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Much faster than last year and with the addition of a wetsuit! I have to stop and put on shoes near the water's edge for my bum foot, but I'm pleased overall

Not have speed laces on the shoes and don't sit down to put them on.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my fastest ride yet, and, for the first and possible only time, no one passed me at all! I rode the second lap harder than the first and made sure to downshift in order to maintain a good cadence. Had one gel early on and another with a few miles to go.

Could I have gone harder, or would I have paid a price on the tricky, hilly, trail run? Do I need a bike computer with cadence?
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Guys ahead of me were a bit faster, and guys behind me were slower. Faster transitions would not have helped me catch the next guy.
Run
  • 53m 35s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile or so was really tough, but I started to loosen up and feel good. The second lap was much faster, especially the last mile. It felt like I got stronger and stronger on the run.

I need to learn how to really push it on the run until I'm totally, slobber-gassed. This was still a faster pace at a longer distance than on the same course in last year's sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of food and Heed at the stands, 3 ham and cheese sandwiches, all of my Cliff bars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim training. The bike was my best ride ever, but it may have been possible to squeeze a bit more out of it. I need to start to really push harder and earlier on the run.

Event comments:

I really like all three legs. The bike course is rolling but not super-tough, so you can go really fast. The run is very challenging, especially since I don't train on trails, but that's not a bad thing. There were plenty of aid station on the run...to many to get something at all of them.

Last updated: 2008-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:25 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 65/132
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle with the third leg into the sun, out and around a cone near the beach and back at it again.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:20 | 24.85 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 34/132
Ave HR = 170. I trained all winter at 157 and have been going harder and pushing up hills since getting outside.
Wind: None
Course: Nice, gently rolling hills in a rural setting through farms and woods, 2 laps around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:35 | 06.4 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 75/132
Ave. HR = 171, 173/4 on second lap.
Course: It starts off with some short, steep hills on the road and heads into the woods for some trail running with root and many short steep sections. It winds around near some water with two wooden bridges and a romp up some stairs and through a plaground. 2 Laps for the Olympic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes