General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Annual Savannah Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2nd Annual Savannah Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Savannah, Georgia
United States
USA TRIATHLON
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site by 5:30am. Transition was open but check-in was not. I got a great spot for the ride out onto the bike. Lots of time to set things up. Because it was a smaller event the hassle of getting a parking spot was none existent. I was hydrating with water and ate part of a honey and pb on toast. My stomach was so full of nerves that I didn't want to eat anything. Staked out the bathroom and a stall full of cockroach look bugs. Yuck!
Event warmup:

Took a little dip in the pond to scary away the preswim jitters with the Cornelius clan. It helped. Listened to the worst set of prerace instructions I have ever heard. Asked the timing mat guy for where the mats would be. Seriously!
Swim
  • 11m 7s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was my longest I have done. The start was much better than I have had before. I thinking swimming around a lot of people in Master's has helped. My goal was to bilateral breath as much of the race as possible. I was able to start 3 stroking in just a couple of yards. While I had occasional contact it was nothing major. Pretty soon I had a my own little bubble. I tried to sight on my 6th stroke like I practiced. I felt slow but not terribly panicked. I passed a few people but didn't speedy in any way. I rounded the buoys without issue, other than a guy in front of me needing some kayak assistance. It felt like it took forever to get to shore. I had to side stroke a couple lengths because I caught some water and needed to cough it up a bit. I was 30 secs slower than my goal but I really think the distance was mismarked. Several other races felt their times were usually slow. I swam 8:30 for 400 in my last two races and never did any bilateral breathing. I just think it had to be a bit longer.
What would you do differently?:

I am surprised to say train harder. This swim was the first one where I felt tired because of physical reasons rather than mental. More OWS at higher speeds.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I dropped my swim cap and had to go back for it (about 10 ft.). I was afraid to leave it in case it I might get penalized. First time I haven't raced in a wetsuit.

Clearly, don't drop my cap.
Bike
  • 51m 53s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I really cranked it as hard as I could with a tiny bit reserved for the run. I stayed in the drops except for turns and drinking. I basically switched back and forth between two gears in the big ring. This was my fastest course yet. I tried to stick to eating a tiny bit on the bike so I wouldn't bonk on the run. Had on square of protein bar (tiny) and 2 Cliff Shot squares. Eating when you are working that hard was horrible.

I would have trained in my drops. I almost never use them. It put my body in a postion it isn't use to. I need to figure out how to go faster on the bike. I feel like I max. out my current level.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Two problems happened in T2. The stopping point wasn't well laid out. The volunteer gave me a sign to stop. I stopped fast in order not to got to far. It wasn't really marked from what I could see. I unclipped and then he said that I could ride a little father. I was already unclipped so I just ran the extra 5 yards with the bike. Also, my Nike Frees are so hard to get on with damp feet. I really struggled with them.

No sure how to make this better. The shoes are still new so I hope they loosen up a little.
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate the run. I felt horrible through the whole thing. It wasn't really my legs but more my body temp. I poured water on my head to start. I had a few ounces I carried with me. It was hard to drink anything. I just wanted to throw up anytime I tried. It was sheer will to keep any cadence going. The shaded areas helped. I just kept thinking that my next race has a hill or two and how awful that will be. I did end up with a little kick at the end. It was all I had that day but not all I can do.

I really need to figure out how my body works in the heat. I have been drinking Accellade and I took a few Cliff shots on the bike. Nothing I did made the run any better than I felt the last time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood off the course and tried not to puke. Convinced my Dad that this was not the picture I wanted him to take!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I need to work on speed work and how to function in the heat.

Event comments:

I actually think this was a good race for me. I would consider doing this race again. It is only in it's second year so it has some "growing pains" in the organization. Maybe I would do this when the race is offered in October.

Last updated: 2008-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:07 | 500 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: A triangle loop counter clockwise. The water was NASTY and very swampy. The first 10 yards or so had long grass that you could feel as you pulled through the water. The water was bath rub water warm. The buoys were lying on there side rather than straight up so I worried I would have some trouble sighting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:53 | 16 miles | 18.50 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Partly closed road on a fast and flat course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:27:41 | 03 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat- party covered. Very hot and humid by this point. I felt like I was boiling.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 8:18 PM

User image

Subject: 2nd Annual Savannah Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-03 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1440224

User image

Master
Subject: RE: 2nd Annual Savannah Sprint Triathlon
Great race. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Annual Savannah Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed