General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, North Carolina
United States
Set-up, Inc
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 55s
Overall Rank = 39/191
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/38
Pre-race routine:

Up at four. Nutri-grain bar and two cups of coffee. Left home for the race site at 5:15 am. Got there around 6:45. Waited in line at packet pickup.

Event warmup:

Went for a 15 minute run. Got back and put on wetsuit. Got down to the lake too late to get in the water for a short warm up swim.
Swim
  • 27m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a 30 minute goal for this swim. Started in the back middle section of the wave. When the gun went off I took my time getting started, making sure I didn't get kicked in the face. Took the first 200 yards easy. It was a short swim to the first buoy. It was very crowded at this turn since there was not much time for the wave to spread out. Had to stop swimming several times to make the turn. Long run to the next buoy so things spread out pretty well. Still got hit a couple times out of nowhere. The second turn buoy was uneventful. Looked at my watch and thought I was pretty much on pace. On the final leg in it got crowded again so put more effort in to try and get some distance on a couple of people that kept hitting my ankles. Was glad to get out of the water. Looked at HRM monitor when I hit the timing mat and was pleased to see 27 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time training in open water..just not comfortable right now. Overall this was as good a swim as I have had at this distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

longish run up hill from the lake to the transition area. got my wetsuit to my waist on the run there without a problem. Found bike with no problem. Got wetsuit off with minimal problems. All was going well and efficiently. Shoes were already clipped on so I grabbed my bike and started to leave transition. At that moment realized my helmet was still on the handlebars. Caught my helmet by the strap just as it was going to the ground. Unfortunately I pulled the clasp right off the strap and it hit the ground. Picked it up and tried to re-thread it properly. Couldn't get it done properly so I faked it the best I could. Lost at least a minute in transition because of this.

Not forget to put on my helmet and secure the clasp so that it cannot come off.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 36s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Started slowly to get my heart rate under control after my fight with the helmet in transition. Took a few sips of Infinit and set out to enjoy a nice steady ride. Got a couple miles down the road and started to catch groups of riders. Double checked HRM to make sure that I was not pushing too hard. Kept my pace steady. Got into a long slight downhill that started what felt to be a really fast section so tried to push a little bit here. Lots of riders in the middle to left hand side of the lane. Had to pass several on the right that just refused to move. About mile 10 started a series of steeper hills that spread out the field quite a bit. Spun up these hills with a steady effort trying not to push hard. Made a turn at mile 15 that started a head wind that lasted for the most part of the final 10 miles. Passed and was passed by the same guy about four times over the last 10 miles. Think we both were ok with that, kept the pace about right without drafting. Was a little surprised that my cycling computer said 23 miles as we were coming into transition. Mile shorted than I thought. Goal was 1:10 minutes so 1:07 was a pleasent surprise. Took feet out of shoes on the final turn to transition. No flying dismount but jumped off pretty efficiently and ran with bike to transition.

Probably took a little too much time to settle in on the bike. Should push a little harder at the beginning but I was really happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Something messed up with the mat coming out of transition so the run time included the T2 so this time is an estimate based on my HRM. Great transition for me. Got bike racked, helmet off slipped on shoes, grabbed race belt and was out of there.

Maybe practice a flying dismount but other than that, nothing.
Run
  • 48m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike my legs felt pretty good. Started the run out of transition at an easy pace trying to get the running legs to come in. Didn't take long to figure out that this run was going to be very hot!!! After about a mile I was beginning to wonder if the legs were going to show up. Hit a slight up hill passed the guard house and started to feel a little better. at about 1.5 miles there was a right turn down a gravel road. This gravel road was down hill and shaded. Really started to feel good at this point and knew it was going to be a good run and the bike hadn't killed me. Took on water at each aid station. At the turn around of the first loop checked my time and seemed to be on pace and felt good. It was hot and heart rate was up but legs felt good so kept the same pace. At the turn down the gravel road a girl came up on my left and went by me. She looked fast so I put in extra effort to stay with her. Was feeling good at the 4.5 mile aid station. Girl was still in front of me at this point she called for water and reached for it and missed. She angrily yelled at the aid station worker...I took my water, thanked the same aid station worker and told him he rocked!! Got shoulder to shoulder with the girl and asked her if she was on her first or second loop. She looked at me like I was stupid and replied in F u tone of voice "SECOND". At that point she picked up the pace and I let her go thinking to myself...no, you will not beat me to the finish. At mile five I closed back up on her right shoulder for a minute, then right next to her for another minute..at that point we were approximately a mile from the finish so I looked over at her, looked at my HRM and took off. I was bound and determined that attitude girl was not going to beat me to the finish of this race. Last mile was a 7:10, turned to look back as I rounded the turn and there was nobody pushing me. As I came across the finish line I heard the announcer call my name and then about 45 seconds to a minute later announced the first finishing female...who I beat to the finish despite her attitude...:)

Nothing, a personal best 10K (stand alone or in a tri) with that the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with family and friends, drank lots of water. Did I mention it was hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more OWS practice. Just more training in general.

Event comments:

This was an above average, fun race. A good course. Would be nice to extend that first swim buoy out a little so that the traffic jam would be minimized. Definitely doing this race again next year.

Last updated: 2007-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/38
Overall: 52/191
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:36 | 24.85 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/38
Overall: 44/191
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling hills with some deceivingly long inclines
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:37 | 06.21 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 39/191
Course: Two loop out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon

2008-06-03 4:10 AM
in reply to: #1440343

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon
great race! your training has paid off in spades man.  6 in your age group?!!! That's fantastic! 
2008-06-03 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Awesome job Wade.  That was a great race report.  I can totally see you kicking it on the run, looking over, giving the "Lance wave", then hammering it home.  I had 3 other friends racing Kerr; 2 of them DNF'd...one of them had his best Oly yet, but none of them were as fast as YOU!  Great job.  I do hope we can get to train some over the summer.  I'm really going to be focusing on the swim and the bike.  Oh yeah, and the run.  I'd love to get to 1:50/100 by Pinehurst, then just have a great time on the bike.

Again, well done sir.  Great job.

2008-06-03 8:38 PM

New user

T2 times have been corrected
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed