General Discussion Race Reports! » Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Castle Rock, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:00 AM drank a couple of ensure and had a breakfast bar.

Bike
  • 5h 40m
  • 100 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first ER Century ride, and I had a blast.
Had to get to the Giant tent by 5:00 AM to get my hands on a TCR Advanced.
Met up with Missy, Greg and Shawn at 6:00 for the start.
Started out strong heading over lake gulch, got over the top and was greeted by the morning sun, what a gorgeous site it was riding into the sunrise.
The first 40 to 50 miles had a bit of climbing and a headwind, but we all took turns in the front, so it wasn't too bad.
Made it to mile 48 in about 2:45, but I was starting to bonk, so stopped at the aid station there to refuel and stretch a bit. This was now the farthest that I've ridden this year, so I was in uncharted territory.
Continued on through the black forrest until we hooked up with 83 and on to the roller coaster.
Started to wish I had a triple crank at this point, felt my quads cramp up a few times while standing. Stopped off at the aid station and took a couple salt tablets.
Once I made it to Palmer Lake I was in familiar territory an knew it would be a fast ride to Tomah. Man, My ass was really sore by this point, I just kept riding as hard as I could to reach the aid station as fast as I could. Stopped off at the final aid station for some food and drink.
Felt good again and headed over Tomah at a fairly good rate, alternating between sitting and standing. Reached the top of Tomah and continued down to the frontage road and into town.

What would you do differently?:

I should have eaten more during the ride, maybe every 15 minutes or so. My Polar HRM said I burned up over 6000 calories, and I maybe took in 500 pre ride 1500 - 2000 during the ride.
It seemed like every time I bonked, all I had to do was eat something and I was back on track, I just need to figure out what and how frequent to eat to avoid bonking.
I also only peed once at the final aid station, I should have been drinking more.
Post race
Event comments:

I would probably do this ride again, however I might try and leave earlier than 6:00 AM next time. It seemed a bit over crowded at the start, going over Lake Gulch. Also the aid stations seemed a little chaotic, there were quite a few people kinda wondering out on the road like they were lost or something.
Also what's with the ipods?

Last updated: 2008-04-17 12:00 AM
Biking
05:40:00 | 100 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Reached a new HR max of 185 this year
Wind: Headwind
Course: 3500 feet of climbing
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 12:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride

2008-06-03 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1440591

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride
Nice ride!  when you figure out the eating/bonking thing let me know! 
2008-06-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1440591

User image

Veteran
Denver

nice ride! So you were riding in a paceline (is that what they are called? I'm not new exactly but don't ride in groups often).  I saw a number of pacelines throughout the ride - wishing I were in one!

And I agree about the ipods - seriously. one girl wearing headphones cut this other lady off and the back lady said something, ipod girl was like "wha?" and back lady was like "...and you're wearing headphones?!" I thought she was going to throw her water bottle at ipod girl.  

2008-06-03 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1441220

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
I'm not very experienced, this is only my second year riding with a group on training rides and events. I think there are a lot of advantages to it. For one, it makes you more visible on the road.

If you do decide to ride with a group, here are a couple of tips I found online

Don’t overlap wheels. If you get between two riders, slowly back out by coasting or sitting up to let your body catch some wind. This will slow you down without having to use the brakes. It also signals the rider behind that you are slowing. Riders behind you can’t see you touch the brakes but they will see you sit up. Remember, if you brake in the pack, then everyone has to brake accordingly.

Don’t ride centered on the wheel in front of you. You may ride close to the rider in front of you if that rider is steady, but always stay a few inches to one side. This will help you avoid colliding with that rider if he or she is forced to decelerate suddenly.

Don’t change position in the group. If you must change position, before you move to either side, make sure another rider is not overlapping you. Don’t move abruptly. It is better to hit a hole than to swerve and cause a crash. If you are smooth and steady then everyone else will feel safer and riders near you may be able to react and avoid crashing. When cornering hold your line so other riders can follow through and maintain speed. Learn how to corner properly so the group does not get slowed very much.

Don’t ride the brakes. When you brake everyone behind you also must brake. This is normal if you come to a turn or stoplight, but if you are the only one braking then the group also has to brake and the rhythm is broken. Keep your hands near the brakes so you can brake if necessary but do so gradually. Never brake hard.

Use caution when standing. When you stand to accelerate or climb the bike tends to hesitate. A rider behind you will not expect this and may touch your wheel and fall. Practice getting out of the saddle as one leg starts a down stroke and the bike is much less likely to hesitate and cause problems for riders behind you.

Be aware. Always pay attention to the road and what vehicles around you are doing. Watch the road in front of you and as far ahead as you can see. There may be potholes or road grates that are hazardous. The lead rider should call out and identify these but may not do so. You must look out for yourself! Following riders should call out approaching cars. At unmarked intersections lead riders should warn of oncoming traffic.

Protect yourself. If you find yourself in a dangerous situation in a group, you should immediately start to work your way out. Don’t ride in the middle of the pack unless you know the riders with you and are confident they are safe. Until you are experienced stay out of the main group and ride near the back. The safest places are the front or the back. The back is best because until you get the necessary experience you can observe the better riders and learn how to handle the bike. If other riders get too close either move away or ask them to move. When passing a rider closely inform them you are there by saying, "On your left" or "On your right" as the case may be.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride Rss Feed