General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ludlow, Massachusetts
United States
Firm Racing
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 52s
Overall Rank = 271/313
Age Group = Female 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Husband made my french toast in the morning, chased it down with a Diet Coke.
Event warmup:

Swam for 10 minutes
Swim
  • 15m 52s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself badly at the start. There were many people near the outside and back, so I moved to the inside before the wave went. Got caught in a lot of kicking, hitting and people swimming over my legs. Very bad breathing as I was slightly panicked and fighting to stay up. Got better as I worked my way through and by about 1/3 of the way, I could swim normally. Scariest swim start I've ever had.
What would you do differently?:

Start way on the outside - I'd rather go around than to deal with that again. Will start on the outside of my next tri and sprint to get ahead of everyone.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

I was much slower than I though I was at the time. Darn suit is hard to get off...thank God I won't be using it again this year.

Move faster!
Bike
  • 1h 29m 10s
  • 14 miles
  • 9.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I was having a great time on this - biking is my hardest event and I trained quite a bit on this with my husband. Made great progess in this race at the halfway point, was only getting passed by tri bikes. Just started going up a long hill when I heard a distinct "whap, whap, whap". Yup, rear flat. I've never changed a flat tire in my life, have read about doing it a few times though. I figured I could muddle my way through. Got the tire off and changed the tube fairly quickly (yay for me!) and put the tire back onto the bike as the police showed up. During the entire time, people passing me were asking if I needed help (God bless triathletes!) but I told them no, I was fine (even though I really wasn't - I wasn't about to ruin someone else's race... When I tried pumping up my tire, it wouldn't inflate. The cop called for the repair truck and I kept at it. The tire wouldn't stay inflated. Repair guy shows up 1/2 hour later and told my I blew the second tube because I didn't clean out the tire originally......I'm such a dumb@ss.

Tire fixed and on my way, second to last. It was a humbling experience to say the least. I decided to finish the race anyway, quitting isn't really an option for me.

I should've known how to change a flat long before this......the time to learn is not on the side of the road during a race. I'm going to bring my bike into my family room and practice, practice, practice.

For the actual ride, though, I thought I did well for me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I was slower than normal, possibly because I had to explain my situation to the race director (who followed me into transition, and to my husband, who thought I had been lying by the side of the road in some terrible wreck).

Nothing, I was a bit discouraged about my time, and my T2 time and run reflected that.
Run
  • 34m 43s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Discouragement effected my run, was pretty embarassed about being next to last. My pace has picked up though. I ran for years at about a 9 1/2 to 10 minute mile, but ever since crosstraining, I've gotten faster!

Drink more, relax a little.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked feeling a little blue

What limited your ability to perform faster:

inexperience with bike repair

Event comments:

Great local race with helpful, friendly volunteers. Plenty of cheering for us back in the pack.

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:52 | 880 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 178/313
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:10 | 14 miles | 9.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 273/313
Wind: Some
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 16
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:34:43 | 04 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 194/313
Course: A relatively flat loop - small hill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Subject: Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon

2008-06-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1440966

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon
hey..being pretty hard on yourself there- flatting is a race is NOT 'uplifting"..you stuck it out & finished well- & you learned lots Congratulations to you..!
2008-06-03 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
^^^ what she said.... congrats!
2008-06-03 4:28 PM

User image

Silverdale, WA
Way to finish strong after hitting a snag. Nothing to be ashamed of and it will definately be a learning experience. I had a similar problem in my race over Memorial Day and wasn't even carrying a spare(tubular). Needless to say my race didn't go as planned, but I truely believe this is how we grow.

Great job staying with it!
2008-06-03 5:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
Was your flat in the first half of the race? I fit was, i passed you as your were changing your tube.
I was #190.
glad you finished.

Kevin
2008-06-04 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

Yes, that was me on the long uphill on West St. wearing black and yellow and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.  When you passed, I was probably covered with grease and swearing (sorry

Thanks everyone for the kind words......you can bet that I'll know how to fix a tire forwards, backwards and sideways before my next race (6/29 - Why Not Tri?)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon Rss Feed