General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 02m 16s
Overall Rank = 24/330
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 1/68
Pre-race routine:

Up early for this one. Opted to come back to Alpharetta rather than stay down in Macon. I figured, it only would save me 30 minutes of sleep and honestly, I fall asleep at least 30 minutes faster in my own bed, so basically same amount of sleep, save the $100 buck (less $25 in gas), plus dog doesn't have to go to kennel for the entire w/e sinse they close at 4:00 on Sat and aren't open on Sun. Up at 3:45 our of the house by 4:22 (only 7 minutes behind schedule). Arrived at race site at 6:02 (2 minutes behind schedule). 2 oatmeal packets, 1 bagel on drive, 1 lg. coffee, 1 bottle water, 1 banana 40 minute before start. 1 gel 15 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

About 500 yd swim, with some speed bursts. Good WU.
Swim
  • 30m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ahhhhh, lake swims are so much nicer than salt water...no wave, no salt water rash, and did I mention no waves, and oh, no sharks either :)
What would you do differently?:

nothing, it's all good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

had trouble getting my shoes clipped in. There was a guy behind me, which I felt bad for. Really need to get the whole leave shoes on pedels thing down.

practice mounting and dismounting
Bike
  • 2h 42m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I think my bike needs a tune up. Lot's of ticks and junk going on. I guess that is the downside of riding all the time with my ipod. I don't hear all the things I should be.

10 day's prior to a big race do a ride without ipod to listen for "gunk" to see of a tune up is needed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s

Take a nap :)
Run
  • 1h 45m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

at mile 4 stared putting cold rag around my neck. Never did this before, man that helped bring my core temp down. Hated the extra weight, but there really was no other option, but the medical tent.

bring fuelbelt, drink a little more on the last 1/4 of the bike, cold rag starting at mile 1.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage. There was only 1 name on the list waiting so I figured, what the heck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

overheated on the run.

Event comments:

Volunteers didn't seem to have been trained in what they were supposed to be doing. Self serve aid stations, haven't seen that before.

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/68
Overall: 10/330
Performance: Good
run to transition is quite long and probably 1:30 added to the swim leg. My watch time coming out of the water was :28:34
Suit: yes
Course: 1 loop clockwise. I had someone zip up my suit. They didn't get the flap right and about 1/3 of the way through the swim the top half of my suit filled with water. At first it upset me because it was like draging an extra gallon of water around (6 lbs). but then I started thinking about (try to find the positive), and the water was so warm, just like last year, and I had to actually let some water into my suit last year to cool down, so basically, this was already done for me this year. Ended up having a good swim so it didn't effect me at all.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:42:30 | 56 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/68
Overall: 48/330
Performance: Good
Oh my HRM wouldn't start at home...first time in all the racing and training that it wouldn't start. I finally got it stated, but man I thought I would have to do a HIM on RPE, yikes.
Wind: Headwind
Course: slight headwind, and ya know it always showed up on the up hills. Funny how that happens. Rolling hills with some moderate climbs. My hills seamed stronger for me this year. Could be all the early season spim classes. I kept passing a couple guys on the hills, only to be repassed. I knew I'd get them on the run (which I did haha).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:40 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/68
Overall: 21/330
Performance: Below average
ok, here's where the race got interesting. miles 1, 2, 3 were 7:20's and let's just say HOT! Just before the 4th aid station, I started getting the chills (not good for a 90+ degree run), so I walked through the aid station and got 4 cups of water (these were small, very small dixie cups). Started running again and slowed my pace to around 8:00 miles and had to walk through the next 5 aid stations but was feeling better after each one. OK OK OK OK I have learned my lesson about not having my own hydration. I had a gel flask, but made last minute race decision to not bring my fuelbelt. I thought I could save the weight and just drink on the coarse. Silly Rabbit. I paid in the form of really poor aid station helpers. Basically, the aid stations were self serve. I even saw runners pouring their own drinks. At one station the volenteer just watched me and didn't offer to help at all. I have never seen this. Next time, for all HIM's and IM's I will take matters into my own hands and bring my own fluids, gels and salt tabs. I'll take what I can from the stations, but I'll have a back up plan!! I managed to pull out a couple of sub 7:00 miles at the end, mile 13 was sub 6:30. I drained the tank!!
Course: mild hills and SUPER HOT. I fried some bain cells out there for sure.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 9:05 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2008-06-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1441022

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome race man! Even with all those distractions you still won the age group and yeah it was hot as hell out there, even though I was only doing the Sprint haha.  
2008-06-03 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Awesome race ... great swim, solid bike and then you held on for a good run.  Excellent job.

Having watched the mount/dismount line at a number of races, shoes clipped into pedals presents a host of other and often more time consuming problems.

2008-06-09 1:01 AM

User image

Austell, GA
Awesome race report, short, sweet and to the point.  Cogratulations on winning your age group.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed