General Discussion Race Reports! » Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Castle Rock, Colorado
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:40 to drive the 35 minutes to Castle Rock. Ate some Luna Moons and drank some water. Debated whether to get coffee but decided to skip it. Realized as I was getting my bike together that I left my race packet at Boyfriend's house! Ah! Frantically called my roommate to see if she had left already (she was doing the 50 mile ride) and she was already at the registration tables. Grr. Called the Boyfriend and was like "I might need you to bring my packet to me." The race registration lady I talked to gave me a new number and wrist band and said "Oh, this happens all the time! Its a lot to remember at 5 am!" Awesome volunteers at this ride :) Yay!
Event warmup:

Um, none. Just got on the bike and started!
Bike
  • 6h 40m
  • 100 miles
  • 15.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I worked hard at keeping my pace in check. I'm not great at pacing! I made sure I ate and drank enough and kept my cadence high and to not muscle my way through this ride. I didn't want to bonk!

I can't believe how much food I've consumed since the ride 2 days ago!
What would you do differently?:

Um, probably should have done longer training rides. I don't think a 30 mile ride should be the longest training ride up to a century...
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training! Though the ride was a nice confidence boost for my endurance knowing that I can go out and ride 100 miles fairly painlessly. Still kind of in shock that I rode a hundred miles!

Event comments:

This is the 2nd time I've done this, and this event has been the only cycling event I've ever done. 7000 riders so even after the 100 course split there were plenty of bikes on the road.

Last updated: 2008-04-18 12:00 AM
Biking
06:40:00 | 100 miles | 15.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Kept HR around 145-160. I kept telling myself that this was going to be a long ride.
Wind: Some
Course: So pretty! South from Castle Rock to Black Forest and Falcon, through the north end of Colorado Springs, across I-25 to Palmer Lake (very pretty and nice downhills!) back to Castle Rock. Brutal hill on Burgess Rd. Roller Coaster Rd was tough too. Oh and that really not nice uphill stretch at mile 92ish. owowowowow. Nice tailwind though once we got on Frontage Rd almost at the end.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride

2008-06-03 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1441192

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride
Nice ride!

Very impressive for only having done 30 mile training rides. I've also been so hungry since the ride on Sunday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Compass Bank Elephant Rock Century Ride Rss Feed