Setup Events, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 32s
Overall Rank = 40/196
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, ate a few slices of bread (think toast minus the toaster), a granola bar, and drank water. Rode with my parents out to the race site.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for about a half mile ride, just to make sure it was all working. The I did a short jog around the race site to get the legs working. I wasn't swimming until half an hour after the race started, so I stretched out on a lounge chair and worked on my tan for a bit.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an outdoor 50-meter pool swim. I started out pretty strong on the swim. I had a two minute break before me, so I had a wide open lane with smooth water. Kind of nice. It didn't last, though. Once more people began following behind me and the closer I got to the center of the pool, the choppier the water got and the more I struggled like I do in the open water. I have a hard time breathing around the waves. I let a few people pass me, as I knew I couldn't stay ahead of them. Started strong and finished weak. Typical of me.
What would you do differently?:

Find a way to breathe around the unpredictable pool chop. I was improving towards the end, so there is hope for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Dry land felt good! Since I have to wear two pairs of socks in my shoes, I tried to already have one inside the other, but this didn't work so well with wet feet. lol! Oh well. I pulled on my shorts (loose-fitting high school gym shorts, because I struggle way too much with biking shorts). Sunglasses on, helmet, and race number, and off I went. Passed most of the people that passed me in the pool. I knew I'd get them.

Just go ahead and not have the socks together. Lesson learned.
Bike
  • 38m
  • 12 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved this bike course! It rocked! I started off strong, flying past the people who came out of the swim with me. After the start, it was hard to really keep track, given the way the race was set up. I loved the down hills; just like flying. I wanted to change gears going down hill to be more effective, but my bike made some horrible noise, so I opted not to do it very often. I didn't want to pop a chain or something. Most of the up hills weren't too bad, except for one. And that hill caught every one. It seemed to get easier with each loop, as I knew what I could do to be effective going up hill, how to change gears and what not. I love passing people going up hill! Just a very fun course and I loved every minute of it, which is something I usually can't say about biking.

Maybe something with the gears? If I knew in advance it was going to make that much noise in that gear, I might have made some adjustments beforehand. I did have it tuned up on Friday, though, and once I got the bike home, I was able to get it properly set, but there was nothing I could do during the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

My T2 is always quick. It was a long run back with the bike, but since I bike with my running shoes on, it is a matter of putting the bike up, taking the helmet off, and then running.

Not a thing.
Run
  • 31m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off slow to let my legs work out of the bike. I had a few really bad cramps, but I kept running and they all faded. Once my legs were in run mode, I tried to step it up a notch, but by then I had found the up hill portion of the course and another gear wasn't possible. I swear, this was the longest 5K ever! Slow for me, but everybody goes kind of slow on this course. More hills than I was expecting, and I just don't train with hills very often. I live in a flat part of the state. lol! In any case, I climbed up and kept on going. Got some water at the second stop, and made it to the finish line.

Run up all the hills, not just some of them. Oh, wait, my legs were in a state of rebellion, much like the time I ran up the mountain. I guess I should do more hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walked around the race cite, and had a sports massage. Ate half a bagel and then jumped back in the pool, which felt much colder by this point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity, probably. Still getting used to summer. And the hills.

Event comments:

Set-Up Events always does a good job. One reason why I skipped the two races closer to home and made the drive for this one. Decent food after the race, lots of places for a massages, the awards were timely, and people were friendly and helpful. My only complaint is with packet pick-up: there was no race day pick-up and it closed the day before at 3PM, making it difficult to get there from out of town- seemed very tailored for locals.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 437 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:00 | 12 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/22
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Three loop consisting of only right hand turns, except for coming out of transition. Some hills, a few really good down and one really hard up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/22
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills on the jogging paths of Reston. Started out down hill, then a lot of up hill, and finished up hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 8:39 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: Reston Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-03 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1443251

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Reston Sprint Triathlon
Well done!  You loved every minute of the bike course?  Even that big hill we had to do three times?  Haha, anyway, great job out there!
2008-06-03 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job on a challenging course.
2008-06-04 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
wow, you are a rockstar for loving that hill!  sounds like you did a great job!!
2008-06-04 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Good job out there.. I enjoy the bike too..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed