General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Animal encounters while training/racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-06-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1444318

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Animal encounters while training/racing

velveeta - 2008-06-04 8:26 AM I have been having many encounters with geese lately while biking on the Platte river trail in Denver. They have tons of babies right now and apparently are not the smartest animals, because they do not realize that all day, every day, there will be things plowing through the trail, requiring them to move out of the way. They go ahead and plop themselves down on the trail nonetheless. When they are all on one side, it's no problem. I sometimes yell, "Move, geese, move!" and it's just like saying, "On your left". They politely scatter away from me. But the babies are too little to move quickly, and if by chance one of the parents is on the opposite side of the trail from the chicks, mom or dad will stand down and hiss(?) at me. I have no idea if geese will actually chase or attack me, but it's still a bit unnerving. I usually let out an involuntary high-pitched shriek and clear the area as quickly as possible. I'm sure it's entertaining for anyone else nearby.

Hee hee!  That happened to me this past weekend during Mile 8 on the run portion of Boise HIM.  Mama goose was just starting to lead her babies across the trail.  I said "hurry up or I'll run you over!"  I passed between her and her babies, she hissed at me and started chasing me!!!!  This was not cool this far into a HIM but I somehow managed to find a bit more energy to run faster!!!!

2008-06-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1443335

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Animal encounters while training/racing
In the last three weeks I have run over, on accident, both a squirrel and a 4' black snake crossing the road.
2008-06-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1443335

Regular
Subject: RE: Animal encounters during training/racing
Prairie dogs. Tons and tons of prairie dogs. They build their towns all around this area in the city parks and undeveloped areas. One of my bike routes goes alongside a pasture for several miles and there are hundreds of these rodents (lots of prairie dog roadkill too). The little ones are oblivious to anything around them and are so cute ads they scamper about while designated scouts stand on their hind legs and keep a watchful eye and bark at us.

Also I have seen tarantulas crossing the road while I'm biking but that is in the more southwestern part of Texas. I'm not a fan of big spiders!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Animal encounters while training/racing Rss Feed  

of 3