United States
DCB adventures
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 25s
Overall Rank = 112/129
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 2hrs before the race and had a protien smoothie then worked on getting the kids up and ready with some snacks.
Event warmup:

Going to the bathroom and then quickly hopping into the water in order to get used to it
Swim
  • 00m
  • 820 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first race that involved swimming. Swimming is the event I have the most difficulty with but I had made some good progress in the pool over the past few months since I decided to get into triathlons. Even though I had read on BT.com and in other places how difficult open water swims are your first time, I didn't appreciate it until I started swimming. I could not calm down and focus for about the first 70% of the swim. I was doing the backstroke before I even reached the first bouy. I drank a lot of water because I was used to the calm pool whereas now I was dealing with the wake of people that were headed the opposite direction (I don't think there was anyone behind me!!). It was a very humbling experience. It did not turn me off from triathlons but it sure gave me more respect for those that do well.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming. Faster swimming. Open water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I pretty much had the whole transition area to myself except for two of my kids sitting on either side of my towel. ( One of them asked "why are you going so fast, Dad?" )

Not much. I feel pretty good with my transition. Not having a wetsuit probably makes things easier too.
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.86 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Running is probably my strong suit and I was able to pass several people. Although, it was my goal just to finish the race, it always feels good when you are able to pass someone along the way. My knee began acting up (I'm waiting for my orthotics to come in) and I had to walk for about a minute.

Not too much besides have a better knee. I was pleased with the pace and my kick at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Got a granola bar, a green banana and some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely my swimming strength/endurance and my unfamiliarity with open water. My knee also played a factor in my run.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. As someone getting into multisports, this is exactly the kind of race that I need. Not only does it have open water swimming (which is something that I need more experience and training with) but it is only two sports. I don't have to worry about biking yet but I still get to practice and get experience in a transition. The distances are right within my range if not stretching me a bit.

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 820 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/129
Performance: Below average
Suit: N/A
Course: We swam out from the special event ramp near the marina and headed west until we almost got to the Mill Ave bridge when we turned around. We then swam past the ramp a little way where we turned again back to the ramp.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:00:00 | 01.86 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/129
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps of a course that took us into a park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes