General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on my illiac crest (top of hip bone) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-31 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1444753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Pain on my illiac crest (top of hip bone)
I am bumping up this thread.  I am less than a week from a marathon (NYC) and just started experiencing this pain for the 1st time last week.  I ran 6 miles on Saturday (last taper long run) and it really bothered me for the rest of the day, ran 3 this morning and same thing. I am extremely worried about making through an entire marathon with this pain!

2012-01-08 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3616920

Thanks Steve, will try the stretch. I know exactly when my first pain started. I ran 3 mi/day most days. It's mostly level but there are a few hills. I usually do not change my pace for the whole run. This particular day, I decided to sprint up the longest hill. At the top, I immediately noticed a pain on my left iliac crest (didn't know what the area was called back then). I rested 4 weeks and it went away. On my first time out, taking care not to stress, I hurt it again. This time, it took 6 months to be pain free. I started back running and was very gentle not to overdo anything. But now my right side started to feel tender. I backed off running for 3 months. There is just the slightest sensation, more a discomfort than pain, on both sides. I am running again but on a treadmill. The pain is not increasing and I should mention I feel no pain while running, walking, cycling, golf, etc. Only afterwards or when I get up after sitting a long time.

So for me it is the impact of running on asphalt that keeps reinjuring me. The treadmill must be absorbing just enough shock that my discomfort is manageable. If I can stay like this, not perfect but okay for a few months, I may try running outdoors again but with the most shock absoring shoe. Can anyone recommend the best cushioned, shock absorbing shoe? I do not care if it is heavy, I'm not doing distance right now. At 6'-2" 250 lbs I'm not light myself. Thanks for any insight.

2012-01-09 5:58 AM
in reply to: #1451910

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
nscrbug - 2008-06-07 9:56 PM

Not a single reply to this? Hard to believe that nobody else out there has this type of hip pain or IT band syndrome? There has got to be somebody out there with some insight...anyone???

I have this issue. The physical therapist gave me a ball... it's inflated and just a bit bigger than a softball. I lay on my stomach and put the ball just inside my hip to stretch my psoas. I lay on the ball for about 45 seconds and move it up a bit... try to get the whole thing, both sides.

Look into Chi Running and/or the POSE method. Keep the hips level/forward when you run... try to keep the posture upright. C-shape.

Longer bike rides keep you in a position that will aggravate this ESPECIALLY if you don't have a proper bike fit.

That's all! Good luck on your Tri... YAY for you! This injury stuff happens, rest... ice.... lie on tummy a bit (less sitting) hot tub.

Cheers!
2012-01-10 5:52 PM

User image

nm

Edited by ChrisM 2012-01-10 5:53 PM
2012-01-10 5:52 PM

User image

I am having similar issues, and have been for a few months,  It was mostly manageable, but hips would get very tight after runs and then sitting, and the spot right below the illiac crest on both sides was tender.  Would usually go away within 24 hours, but near Thanksgiving pulled something in the area, and it's been slow to recover.

My "team" (seriously, chiro, PT, accupuncture...) all say it's likely tight gluteus medius muscles, so I've been rolling with the foam roller, with a tennis ball, and doing clamshells, leg raises, and sidesteps with bands to increase glute strength.

*Seems* to be helping so far, but it's put me behind schedule for my HIM.  At least it's now back to manageable, i.e. doesn't hurt much when I run, or for  couple hours afterwards, but the evening of and morning after they start to get tight again

Also - I noticed something odd, that when I ran flat they'd hurt more than when I ran hilly.  So I am just running easy trails and treadmill for now

Edited by ChrisM 2012-01-10 5:52 PM
2012-01-10 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Hit my iliac crest on a doorknob several months ago, thought it was broken. Baby steps for the next few days. Few weeks later it seemed back to normal, but lately it's aching now and then. Need root canals on 3 newly replaced fillings first before hip x rays though. ( dentist said he had to drill really deep) was hoping to get more than a few weeks out of all those expensive newly replaced fillings ugh.

2012-01-12 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

My pain disappeared and did not come back, so I was able to run NYC with no issues at all.   However, a few weeks ago a couple of days after a 12 miler, I was running a 4-miler and noticed my hips felt tight.  As the evening went on, I started noticing a pain in my right hip - both in the front (where the hip bones meet) and in the back (glutes).

I rested and stretched for a few days, then ran my 18-miler (I am supposed to be running Houston).  The 1st few miles were painful, but by mile 5 I noticed that the pain seemed to subside.  The 18-miler went well, but when I tried to run 4 a couple of days later, I had some serious pain and stopped.  I rested for a couple of days, then did a spin class, did a swim workout and used the elliptical a few times.  The pain never gets bad during the workout, but gets worse as the day goes on.  Finally, I made an dr's appointment and stopped all workouts until I had my appointment.

I have no idea if this current pain has anything to do with the pain before NYC.  My chiro doesn't seem to think so.  He thinks the ligaments near the hip capsule have been strained.  So, after almost 2 weeks of treatment and doing exercises on my own, the hip is much better.  I'm definitely not at 100%, but getting there.  The doc also feels like I am okay to run Houston (with the help of some Kinesio tape), so we'll see!

2012-01-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3616920

Good news, I have been doing the piriformis pigeon stretch (modified, lying on my back style) and the pain is 95% gone. Also, stiffness in my lower spine has been releived. I understand how stretching the piriformis helps to remove pressure off the sciatic nerve which took care of back stiffness feeling, but how it reduced iliac crest pain I do not know. But it is working so far. Pain free for almost a week. Thanks for the tip stephsprint!

Jay

Edited by Kobesan 2012-01-14 6:07 PM
2012-02-13 1:21 PM

Huntington Beach

I've seen a lot of runners get that.  Usually people have balance issues along with it creating lateral movements as they run.  For these people it seemed like it was the top portion of the glut medius or TFL, just off the bone.  Easy to fix with ART but I would really recommend you get it looked at since there are a lot of important structures that pass to the leg in that region.

Good luck

2012-03-23 12:27 AM

I too have been experiencing an aching dull pain in this area. I'm not athletic but I am on my feet all day moving around. I manage a retail store so almost as if I am working out ten hours a day. I do not recall any injury or other strain. Recently the pain has turned into sharp stabbing, also like needles in the area. Ive noticed a slight difference in size on the side compared to the opposite.At night it hurts to lay on it. And the pain now runs down into the hip. Is anyone else experiencing the same symptoms? I have no insurance so at the time being I cannot run into the doctor. But feel its about time. Any input?
2012-03-23 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I constantly have a similar type of pain, although mine is a result of an avulsion fracture, then labral repair surgery.  But my pain is in the same area and is a result of tendonitis after my injuries.  The one piece of advice I can give is to look into your hamstrings/quads.  Sometimes a muscle imbalance there can cause issues in your hip.  

2012-04-04 1:05 AM

I did end up seeing a doctor. Had X-rays and nothing showed up.I then went to see a DO. He told me something was out of place. Popped something back into place. Felt great for four days now the pain is back. At this point I give up.
2012-04-05 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
, New York
What kind of pain is it?  If you feel any pinching, twinges or sharp pains in that general area than it may be worth it to ask for an MRI w/contrast to rule out any labrum problems.  
2012-04-05 6:06 PM

User image

Mine keeps coming and going.  It's manageable, but very frustrating....

2012-07-14 11:11 AM

I developed the same hip pain you all describe after a treadmill speed workout. I thought I bruised my left hip somehow but the same bruised hip feeling came back the following week after another treadmill speed workout. I never feel the pain during my run but I do afterward & for the rest of the day. It hasn't seemed to really go away completely (I notice it mildly when walking, walking up stairs, pushing on my hip, etc) & comes back every time I run even with a slow 2-mile run. I even took a month off of running completely & it didn't help. I swim, spin & do classes at the gym & nothing makes that sore bruised feeling come back like running. My pain is also just underneath the top of the iliac crest & feels like a tender bruise. I stretch, I foam roll & nothing seems to make it go away completely. -Leah
2013-04-04 2:31 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

I've been googling all afternoon, and of course, I find you guys here that have the same issue.... 

I'll start doing the piriformis pigeon stretch and a couple glute stretches to see if that helps, however the only stretch that really seems to activate the pain is when standing, I move my leg outwards to the side (doesn't matter knee bent, knee straight).   Is this consistent with you guys?  

Anyone have other tips to alleviate the pain?  

2013-04-04 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Sounds like a hip flxor pulling on other muscles to compensate..

find a chiro thats a runner and you'll be fine in 5 weeks ..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on my illiac crest (top of hip bone) Rss Feed  

of 2