Overall Rank = 553/648
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 34/70
Swim
  • 13m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was tough for me and I was more tired than I expected when I came out of the lake. I knew I could swim the distance, it just wasn't pretty!
What would you do differently?:

I need to do more practice with distance in the open water. I need to focus on my stroke and on my comfort in the water and near others. Confidence is the key for me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

The run to the tranisition area found me pretty much stuck in my wetsuit. I wore a two piece DeSoto and it was hard to remove. I practiced several times before the race, but didn't consider my watch or the timing chip on my ankle and the wetsuit became stuck on both of those.

Since this is the only wetsuit I currently own, I need to practice more and get that down or do a race where I don't need one.
Bike
  • 56m 3s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I went as hard as I could on my road bike and my goal was to finish in an hour. I am not a strong biker (or swimmer, or runner!) and my biking mainly consisted of 15 milers in the area. I was used to the type of roads we were on so that was fine. I was a bit annoyed when the aerobike machines would roar past and leave me in their dust....!

I would do more long distance training rides with more hills. I need to work on understanding my gear shifts better and get better at drinking while biking. I might try to do a gel or something similar during this portion of the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I had my running shoes already so just needed to rack my bike and put on my hat and race belt.

Move faster - practice with a few more bricks where I am biking as hard as I can before running.
Run
  • 30m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My transition from the bike to the run was a little tough- my legs felt very heavy. I did end up walking a bit on the initial hill and also at the halfway water station. Despite that, I am normally a 10:30 pace runner and did much better than I expected.

I would push myself and not walk at all. I would have taken in a gel or more fluid on the bike so I wouldn't need it on the run. I need to practice getting faster in training.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I beat my hoped for time of 2 hours by almost 16 minutes. I was very happy with that but do see where I can improve upon my performance. I know I am never going to win one of these, but I am pleased with my overall first race as a triathlete.

Event comments:

I wish the transition area was more secure. I don't have the best equipment, but someone could have easily walked in and taken whatever they wanted.

Last updated: 2008-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:02 | 440 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 0/648
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto T1/ 2 piece Wetsuit
Course: This was my first triathlon and I was most nervous about the swim. Most of my swim training was doing laps by myself in a 88 degree pool. I did a few OWS recently but nothing with much distance. I started out nervous since at least 2 of the novice men in the wave before me needed to be rescued...! I ended up doing the breaststroke for the majority of the swim portion along with most of the women around me.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:03 | 15 miles | 16.06 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:46 | 03.11 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Except for an initial hill, the course was flat, scenic and mostly shaded. Good route.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-04 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Madison
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2008-06-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1445094

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

Awesome job Tracy for your first Tri.  Every race will get a little easier...keep doin what your doin. And remember every race you finish you are a winner!

2008-06-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1445094

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
excellent job on your first of many tri's to come!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed