General Discussion Race Reports! » Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement IX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement IX - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grapevine, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 52/150
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:40 and got ready. Had some oatmeal and water. Drove to race.
Event warmup:

Set-up TA; light jog, sat down and watched everyone get ready and tried to remain calm
Swim
  • 06m 19s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

i did well the first couple of lanes and i caught the person in front me. this was strange, as i'd never passed anyone before. i swam up beside the person and then passed at the turn on the wall. i actually caught the next person in front of me, but i didn't feel there was enough time to pass before the finish and there were people right on my tail, so i just drafted right behind them to conserve energy before getting out. i passed the person in front of me getting out of the transition. my swim time was a little longer than i'd hoped, but with the new experience of all these other people and the lane changes, its within reason for me.
What would you do differently?:

practice swimming on one side of the lane, not just down the middle. after one turn, i almost ran head-first into an oncoming swimmer! i moved just in time, but also took a big gulp of water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

37th fastest T1 time; i had some trouble getting my shirt on with my bib # on it. i'd practiced getting the shirt on a wet body, but had not practiced it with an extra peice of paper. tying my shoes probably took too long, but i did it as fast as i could. got on the bike with no issues, but couldn't get my feet in as fast as i'd practiced. probably nerves and distractions.

overall, i was pretty satisfied with T1. but, in the future i will consider swimming in what i ride in so i don't have to put a shirt on. also, i'd look into a race belt for my bib # and quick laces so i don't have to tie them.
Bike
  • 46m 48s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

started out strong on the bike. i ate a GU about 3 miles in. this was probably too soon, because after i finished, i felt like i had something stuck in my throat and hacked a little to get my throat cleared. this led to almost throwing up a couple of times. the hills were very difficult, as i didn't train enough hills. i probably pushed on the bike too much, but looking back on it, i wouldn't change that. my pace was above what i wanted it to be and i was still able to finish and run fine. i was passed by 7 riders and i passed 2 (one of which was up one of the last hills; i kicked it into over drive just to pass this person). because of the hills, my dispersion of speed varied from 10mph to 23mph-this is a huge difference compared to training.

wait longer to eat GU. possibly push a little harder at times to try to increase my average.
Transition 2
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

5th fastest T2 time; i couldn't get my feet just right on top of my pedals after taking my feet out of the straps on the bike. other than this, i had no issues with dismount or running the bike into T2. i racked the bike with no issues and quickly removed by helmet and bandana. i actually took an extra second because it seemed like there was something else i should be doing, but there wasn't. good transition with a very respectable time.

do more bricks and practice feet in and out of pedals more.
Run
  • 29m 56s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

i didn't have many issues with the run. i had a good pace and maintained the pace well. i did not let others' pace dictate my race. i passed 5 on the run and was passed by 1. with about 2 miles left, i caught up to a kid (couldn't have been more than 11) and i was right on his tail for a while. with about a mile left, he picked up his pace substantially up a hill and left me in the dust. i didn't let it get to me and continued to run my race. turns out i didn't even see him on the last hill or at the finish line. i only got 1 drink on the run (~ mile 2) and drank while running. no issues.

no much. i felt i ran a good race and finished as strong as i could. maybe with more practice, i'd push myself more.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around some, got some water, and sat in the shade. had some orange slices and gatorade. i later ate everything in sight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i didn't want to push it in any one discipline and ruin the rest of my race. now that i've completed one and know what i felt like on each portion, i might push myself more to acheive a better time.

Event comments:

52nd Overall place; 39th Gender place; 8th Division place; this was a pretty good first timer event. it seemed organized, but the volunteers could have spread out a bit more. there were times when i was biking/running alone on the course and had to make turns without the reassurance that i was doing correct. i'm not complaining as its my responsibility to know the course. the swim started about 5-10 min later than schedule, but this didn't phase me much as i was 67 people back in the wave start.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:19 | 300 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 48/150
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo trunks
Course: 25 meter pool with 6 lanes. snake swim: down and back in same lane, then change lane.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:48 | 12.43 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 88/150
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: course was fairly hilly along a couple of open roads and a park jogging path. the path was not closed to pedestrians.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:56 | 03.73 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 45/150
Performance: Good
Course: somewhat hilly out and back, some of which was the same as the bike course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-04 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement IX
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement IX Rss Feed