General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rest days before the race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-05 2:24 AM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: rest days before the race
Is it ok to rest and not work out for 5 consecutive days before a race? It seems like full recovery and some stretching would be best. But I don't want to de-condition and lose ground. What's the common wisdom? Obviously, I am new. This will be my first tri on Sunday.

2008-06-05 4:22 AM
in reply to: #1446461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Subject: RE: rest days before the race
5 days is way too much(for me). not sure if fitness would be lost, but i would probably gain 2~3 pounds if i didn't work-out for 5 days!

I like to cut my training time on a taper week. and cut the intensity, more so at the end of the week as well. I'll usually only take the day off before a race to rest.
2008-06-05 5:05 AM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Mama J - 2008-06-05 2:24 AM

Is it ok to rest and not work out for 5 consecutive days before a race? It seems like full recovery and some stretching would be best. But I don't want to de-condition and lose ground. What's the common wisdom? Obviously, I am new. This will be my first tri on Sunday.

So glad you asked this question, as my very first tri is coming up in 3 weeks and I was wondering the same thing. When should I begin tapering my workouts so as not to burn myself out before raceday? Is it okay to still put in my "regular" gym workout, in the days leading up to the event? Thanks for any insight!

Linda
2008-06-05 5:58 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Depending on your conditioning and training history, you shouldn't lose any conditioning in 5 days but it is not the recommended way to taper.  The recommended way is to reduce your training volume based on the distance of the race, amount of training done prior to the race and whether this is a goal race or not.  Usually you keep up training intensity but reduce the volume until a few days before the race.  For an IM, a 2 to 3 week taper is recommended with volume going from 80% to 50% to 20% of max.  For a sprint, you may only taper for a week or less and reduce volume to less than half of max.  The goal of the taper is to heal minor injuries and allow the body to adapt to training (improvements coming during rest) while still maintaining a racing edge.  Keeping up the intensity allows you to keep your edge.  For me, I feel very edgey and wanting to race by the end of a taper.
2008-06-05 6:31 AM
in reply to: #1446484

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
ohiost90 - 2008-06-05 5:22 AM

5 days is way too much(for me). not sure if fitness would be lost, but i would probably gain 2~3 pounds if i didn't work-out for 5 days!

I like to cut my training time on a taper week. and cut the intensity, more so at the end of the week as well. I'll usually only take the day off before a race to rest.

Agreed ^^^

5 Days is way too much time off IMO.

Race week, I drop intensity and some distance. I always take the day before a race off, but that is it. After 3-4 days of tapering, and a day off my energy is busting at the seams race day.

I swam yesterday and was finished, back at the house by 6:30 pm. I did not know what to do with myself for the rest of the night.
2008-06-05 6:58 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
With five days off you'll likely be very flat for the race.

I have always been taught to lower volume, but keep intensity up. Two days before the race you take off completely and then the day before you do some very short higher intensity activities. This makes sure you're fully rested but your muscles are primed to race.

For sprint and oly races I'll take only one or two days off the week of the race.

2008-06-05 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1446561

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
OrbeaMan - 2008-06-05 7:58 AM
I have always been taught to lower volume, but keep intensity up. Two days before the race you take off completely and then the day before you do some very short higher intensity activities. This makes sure you're fully rested but your muscles are primed to race.

That sounds very text-book, and I see it recomended often.

I would say try a few different things before a few shorter races, and see what works for you. Of course, there is not a magic rule that can be applied to everyone, so find what works for you and go from there.

All of the above are good ideas (excepting taking five full days off), and I sure that one will be perfect for you.

Good Luck!
2008-06-05 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I've always taken a rather long training break before race day regardless of distance. I will typically take 4-5 days before any race, especially an "A" race. I find I really need the healing. This week I did a mock Tri on Saturday, biked Sunday, ran long on Monday and rode intervals on Tuesday. Yesterday was a rest day and will continue until my race on Sunday. I feel "good" today and don't imagine I'll lose fitness (nor would I gain any) between Thursday and Sunday.

I don't know if it's an age, overall fitness or acclimitization, but I like the longer rest periods and feel it helps. Whenever I "jump in" and don't have an appropriate taper built in, I'm out of my groove. Can't say there's a direct correlation to results though...
2008-06-05 7:34 AM

User image

I took four full days off before my first Olympic tri a month ago -- and it's the dumbest thing I ever did.  Of course I didn't lose any fitness, but what I did lose is elasticity.  My hamstring threatened to cramp just 500 meters into my swim.  That never happened before.  Same thing on the bike, my legs kept cramping.  And the cramping and muscle spasms only continued during the run.  I BRICK plenty and haven't had cramping issues for almost three months.  That is because when I brick, I've trained all week and I'm plenty loosened up. 

I read a running study where runners who only tapered by 25% of what they peak at during their training, run their best marathons. 

So that is how I am tapering this week before my second Olympic Tri this Saturday.  I am shaving off 25% of the distance I normally swim, bike and run.  And I am doing my workouts at a moderate/ medium intensity, with very short sprints of high-intensity at the very end. 

Sitting around for four days, sure your body will repair and recover, but it will also repair and recover (maybe even better) through the active recovery of moderate and easy training.  I will not sit on my arse for four days prior to a race again.  The proof will be in the pudding this Saturday, at least for me. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-06-05 7:37 AM
2008-06-05 8:40 AM

I've never done a 'true' taper, but I can't imagine not doing ANYTHING for 5 whole days before a race. I'd lower the volume, and maybe not doing anything the day before, DEPENDING on your fitness. For example, I know I can swim the day before a race, just to keep things moving, or maybe a short run. 
2008-06-05 1:56 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for all the input. What I didn't mention is that I am really tired this week and have some minor injuries--- my shoulder is sore and so are my shins. I am actually afraid to train...that I might injure myself before the race. Also, the race is out of state and I'm flying, so I will be travelling as well. But, after reading what everyone has written, I've decided to be intuitive on a day to day basis and not rule out doing some light swimming biking and running this week in order to 'wake up' my muscles and "check in" with my injuries, so I will be confident for race day.

Since it is my first tri I really just want to do my best and have fun. Whatever time I finish with will be my personal best. Can you all remember when just getting to the race felt like the greatest triumph? That's how I am feeling right now.

Cheers y'all!

Julia

2008-06-05 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1447788

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I will pretty much always take at least one, no matter how short the race.  But the MOST I personally do is around 3, and that is usually only if travel is involved.  2 seems to be the magic number for me.
2008-06-05 3:03 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Mama J - 2008-06-05 2:24 AM Is it ok to rest and not work out for 5 consecutive days before a race? It seems like full recovery and some stretching would be best. But I don't want to de-condition and lose ground. What's the common wisdom? Obviously, I am new. This will be my first tri on Sunday.
depending on the training load of the athlete and the race distance is how I set up their taper, but I hardly schedule complete days off (unless needed for traveling, to nurse an injury, etc). 5 days seems way too much; in my experience you can risk to feel flat on race day with too much rest.

If I was you I would so some training (short an easy) every day even the day before. For experienced athltes adding some short bouts of intensisty might also be a good idea. If you feel like taking a day off, take one maybe 2 or 3 days before the race...

2008-06-05 10:13 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks so much for the advice. I went for a light 2 mile run today. The first half was AWFUL...now I know why people don't rest too long. But, then I got my groove back for the last half. I will keep active before the race. Thanks again. You all got me moving.

Julia
2008-06-06 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I always take the Monday of race week off followed by workouts for three days, Friday off then something light on Saturday.

Saturday is mostly to help try and calm the nerves. I get extremely nervous and the short workout (10 minute swim, 20 minute bike, 10 minute run or something thereabouts) helps me be able to sleep better the night before the race.

5 days would seem to me to be too long, but I think to each their own. Find out what works best for you. It is a trial and error thing, which I am still working on, but each race I get a little better at.
2008-06-06 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I have yet to intentially taper for a race as my "A" race isn't for several more months. My goal was to train through the other events I'm doing this spring/summer. Alas, with the crappy weather this week I have not been able to train like I had planned and have unintentially had a "taper" week for an Olympic distance this weekend.

While I did get in a medium effort swim and a short brick I've had three off days. I am feeling like a caged animal. I went to the store with my wife last night and I was kind of jumping up and down in place while waiting in line. I didn't even really notice I was doing it tell she looked at me and asked me what I was doing. I think after 5 consecutive days off you might feel pretty good as far as aches and pains go. From what I have read you would not lose any noticeable fitness but you may suffer some lose of flexibility.

2008-06-06 11:27 AM

Timnath Colorado,
I think there are many variables (fitness level, age, type/difficulty of event, "A" race or not, travel, etc.) not the least of which is that everybody is different. As has already been said, 5 days is probably too much. For me, no training at all for more than a couple of days results in "dead legs" ....hard to describe, I just feel sluggish. I'm sure there is some physiological explanation, I just don't know what it is. You will find, through trial & error, what works best for you. For me, if it's an "A" event, I would reduce volume by about 40% the week before, but maintain intensity. For a Sunday race, ideally, I would want to get in a short brick (30min or so) either Friday or Saturday, with a couple pick-ups to race pace.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rest days before the race Rss Feed