General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butterflies Starting Already Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-05 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Altoona, Iowa
Subject: Butterflies Starting Already
My first triathlon is still a week away and the butterflies have started. This obsession is taking over. I am thinking and the swim, T1, bike, T2, and the run. I can see it in my head. I drive down the road and think what bike gear I need to be in. ARGH!!! The visions. THE VISIONS. I am going over the checklist in my head for my gear on raceday. What will it be like next Thursday? Will I get any work done over the next week? Get me to the starting line!!!

2008-06-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1447179

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Butterflies Starting Already

One thing that helped me with my first race was that I had already signed up for 2 more races.  Although I wanted to give my first race my best effort, being able to think about the first race as being practice for the ones to come helped take some of the pressure off.  I still spent a fair amount of time obsessing about the details, but was still able to enjoy the experience of the first race.

Good luck. 

2008-06-05 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
That is race week, or pre-race week for you, and you love it!!!!!

That is the excitement of a race. Enjoy that feeling, because it is that feeling that drives training until the next one.

IMO it is a good thing that you are going over your checklist again, and again, and again. That should make race day morning go very easy. Plus, while you are racing you know what you need to do during each stage (e.g. swim, T1, bike, T2, run).

Soak that feeling up, it's the best drug out there!!!!
2008-06-05 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

The butterflys are good, as long as they don't carry you away.

this is a good week to practice transitions.  They are not physically draining, but give you something to do with the butterflys.    I also agree that going over you checklist repeatedly is good.  Another way to do it is to set up your transition.  Practice.  Remember your sunglasses.

2008-06-05 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Good idea about practicing the transitions. I have a ton of nervous energy for an Olympic distance this weekend. Am kind of training through this so had a medium intensity brick last night and transition practice today would be a great way to start preparing for the race Saturday. Also would be a great way not to forget anything as I'll pack my gear after my practice.
2008-06-05 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Altoona, Iowa
This is a "B" race for me (if that is what you call it). I am doing the Cincinnati One World Triathlon at the end of the month. I signed up for this one to get some experience, especially with the transitions. I am going to try my best but not wear myself out for this one. Saving that for Cincinnati.

I think I am an addict and I have never really done a triathlon yet.

JUNKIE JUNKIE JUNKIE

2008-06-05 1:56 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
I love this post. I missed the butterflies and knots in my stomach when towing the line. Good luck!
2008-06-05 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
My first tri is Saturday and I'm very nervous. I can definitely relate to the butterflies. I have a question: if you're going to wear a shirt for the bike and running portions of the race, do most people wear them during the swim or just put it on in T1?

Good luck, BucNIowa!
2008-06-05 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Putting any kind of shirt on over a wet body is tough, tough, tough.  Ask me how I know.  For about $9 you can get a training shirt at Target, that works fine for a tri shirt.  Wear it in the water, then out on the bike and run.  Get it fairly close fitting so it doesn't drag in the water.  Better  yet, if you still have time get a tri top.
2008-06-06 3:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Kailua-Kona now in Oregon,
My first tri was an olympic distance and I was extremely nervous. But the minute I got into the water for my warm up I had this incredible calm come over me and I had the best day of my life.

Work out all the details this week, work on your transitions as others have said, then KNOW that you are ready. AND HAVE FUN. You put in all that work, now enjoy the benefit on the race course. Enjoy the excitement, the butterflies, the fear, the thrill. And know that everyone else out there feels the same way. Good luck. You'll do great!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butterflies Starting Already Rss Feed