General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 22s
Overall Rank = 253/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed on the property which was nice, took equipment down to transition area, then back to the room to eat a bagel and stretch a bit.
Event warmup:

Decided at the last minute not to wear a wet suit, so got in the water and swam 100-200 meters trying to get acclimated to the water
Swim
  • 21m 22s
  • 966 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

spit in goggles to prevent fog and wear a wet suit for floating purposes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Bike
  • 1h 28m 21s
  • 28 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't have my computer working for the race. I saw Cone on the opposite side of the road and I think this motivated me a bit. I began standing up to pass riders as I approached which may have hindered my run.

Just prepare for the race more and probably wouldn't stand up when passing, think I really strained the interior quads I was about to use for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

still need to work on both my transitions and getting out of shoes earlier
Run
  • 51m 58s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Started cramping in the interior quads within the first mile. Tried to get pretzels and Gu at the first station. Then started consuming whatever GU and liquid I could find along the way. Seems like the GU worked soon after it was consumed, but then I was back to cramping in the quads. Around mile 5 felt a sharp cramp in the hamstring which reduced me to a walk around the pirate drink station. Very frustrating. Walked through it for a moment and then got to running again. Cramping got pretty good right before the final turn to the finish line. I stopped to walk and then a guy i had been running with for a while told me, "keep going, it's just around the corner". Thanks, buddy, I needed that.

Been told by one or two other racers that salt tablets may have come in handy; I think it was also the hardest workout I have ever done in my life. Oh yeah, two nights before I stayed up late with Masterson drinking beer and playing cards. Slept in a really small bed and got no sleep because my infant daughter wouldn't sleep. So, i would not do that next time. But I hadn't seen my buddy in almost a year and that was more important to me than the race.
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the food tent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mostly the run, but I need to improve my swimming speed and my bike speed. The top racers average greater than 20 mph, so my goal for my next race is to get over 20 mph on the bike and do whatever I can to prevent the cramping during the run.

Event comments:

This was a great race for my first "real" race and I look forward to doing it again for many years to come.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:22 | 966 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 367/
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Started off the pier, swam out a quarter of the distance, then turned at buoy. Pretty easy to site the rather large paddle boat during the race. Goggles fogged during race, which probably caused me to go off course from time to time. Didn't really push very hard, but felt comfortable the entire race. Fighting through the crowd wasn't as awful as I had heard.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:28:21 | 28 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Overall: 344/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Nice, flat course along the coast. One racer got hit by a car pulling out of a parking lot. My brother got a flat at the end of the race where the traffic starts to backup as the bike course crosses the road; some guy in a car jumped out and hooked him up with a spare tube and helped him get on his way in about 10 min...awesome - thank you, whoever you are.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:58 | 06.5 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 184/
Course: Make a loop through the park, then pass near the transition area, then back out to the airport museum for a figure 8 loop, then back home for the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-05 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2008-06-05 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1448321

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Good Job! Way to stick with it.

I know you didn't ask my opinion, but I have had some of the same issues and I've found that it helps if you practice your nutrition.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed