Melbourne Beach Rotary
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 12s
Overall Rank = 394/467
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 35/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel and had everything laid out. Made tea, ate a bar and realized it was a half hour before I told my friends I'd be heading over to the race. Was sitting in the bathroom at the hotel so as not to wake DS and DH and decided going early to race would be better, so I did. Got my packet, applied numbers, and set up transition area very carefully. Then realized I set up in row for 192 and my number was 292, so I moved, and re-did the setup. Looked around for my friends and hung out.
Event warmup:

Walked out on the pier and saw that we had to jump off into the water to get to the start. Sister Kim, of two replaced ACLs, sat on the dock and imagined jumping into 2 feet of water from 5 feet up and pictured her legs collapsing. I could see she was ready to go home, so I rallied the girls and we lifted her down. Then I jumped. That was really the scariest part of the swim. Wandered around in the water a little and made sure my goggles weren't leaking.
Swim
  • 13m 35s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was heading to the first turn and noticed a woman really struggling nervously. I told her she could stand up and rest and showed her by standing up. That was just enough time for two breaststrokers to place themselves on either side of me and trap me. They were fast enough that I couldn't really get around either side of them. So I decided just to settle in for the ride and save up for the bike. We had to climb out of the water on ladders, then a .2mi run down the pier to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I would have been more aggressive and confident in my ability to go faster without having heart palpitations. I would have run on that dang pier, splinters be damned.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s

Don't really know if this is fast or slow for me, I'll have to go back and check. I don't know if they included the pier run time in this, either. I think I split it out on my watch so should be able to tell. I felt slow, so that means I could be faster.
Bike
  • 50m 40s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I always love the bike. I know I could have pushed harder, but I wasn't unhappy with my pace and really wanted to just enjoy the day, the scenery, etc. I did not enjoy the lady in the red sports car who decided to get up on my ass and honk her horn for a few minutes. She was probably some real estate lady late for an open house in desperate times....I was hoping the cops would nail her. I like out and backs because you get to see so many great racers and all your friends and such.

I'm thinking I'd like to get aerobars and one of those front drink bottle thingys. For a course like this it would be a real advantage.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I am not sure what I was doing here for all that time. Probably dreading going out to run!

Hurry my silly self up a bit.
Run
  • 45m 14s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 13m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Lots of volunteers and people just out cheering, even for the bop-ers like me. I truly enjoyed the race and didn't even really race it. When I caught up with my friend B, I just decided to hang with her and run/walk it in. It was super hot, but some streets had shade. Was glad to be finished and sad, too.
Post race
Warm down:

We had a whole crew with husbands and children all joining us at the finish. We set up a blanket and waited for all our crew to finish, we ate fruit, we talked, the kids played. It was just relaxing and fun and I loved it all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh, just the fact that I didn't really 'race' this one. I kept thinking of Sue and her 'eat the paste' comment, and kept saying to myself that it was not a paste eating day.

Event comments:

It was a FUN day to be a part of a great race, with great friends and supportive family. Just and overall wonderful weekend for me. I will put this on my annual list, and wouldn't mind if its the only one I do this year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:35 | 528 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/467
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: sort of a trapezoid minus a bit of one side. We had a long and interesting time with the guy who sets up the swim course the night before. He did a good job. Bouys with flags about every 10 feet. Big bouys at the turns and big markers on underwater rock dangers.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:40 | 15 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on A1A - it's really pretty and fast and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:45:14 | 03.3 miles | 13m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice run through the neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-05 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon

2008-06-06 5:48 AM
in reply to: #1448553

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon
Glad you had such a good time !!!! COngrats on a great race
2008-06-06 5:55 AM
in reply to: #1448553

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon

Hey Ann,

Congratulations on a great race!  It looks like ya'll had a lot of fun.  I like the pictures and races are more fun when you have people to race with and people cheering for you. 

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon Rss Feed